Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times

Advertisements

When's the last time you saw a large SUV filled to capacity with humans? They're obnoxious and unnecessary. Can be difficult to drive near, too, as if you're near one on a 4-lane road with narrow lanes, they're often encroaching on the nearby lane, and I often feel compelled to swerve my anti-Hummer (Toyota Corolla) a bit into the oncoming traffic lane as I pass them by (this of course assumes sufficient space...not that desperate to pass)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:01 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
because they consume a lot of gasoline and destroy the roads being so heavy.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You are so deliciously crotchety.

I can almost envision you standing on a porch shaking your fist and screaming at the neighborhood kids, "Stay off my lawn!!!!".

You crack me up.
This whole conversation about large suvs and pickups cracks me up. People can drive whatever the want.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Remember for some people like my wife who is handicapped it’s easier for her to get in and out of a car that’s got a bit of seat height where as getting up from a sedan is very hard on her.
SUVs have the right amount of seat height so entry and egress is easier on her. She’s not a aggressive driver at all. She won’t tailgate or bully people on the road.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Remember for some people like my wife who is handicapped it’s easier for her to get in and out of a car that’s got a bit of seat height where as getting up from a sedan is very hard on her.
SUVs have the right amount of seat height so entry and egress is easier on her. She’s not a aggressive driver at all. She won’t tailgate or bully people on the road.
True, Seat height is why we use $800 Minivans (we provide free rides to seniors). It is tough to digest the additional fuel requirements and stopping for gas every 400 miles (instead of 1200+ miles in my cars).

There are very few diesel minivans (too bad)... Most of the world has LOTS of diesel minivans! ~ 35-40mpg on free fuel.

I would assume many SUV drivers are 'responsible', but a few bad apples can be expected in any vehicle. Some 'out-of-control' vehicles are more dangerous to others.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

That's the thing though, we're talking in general terms for a broad audience, your wife has a need for an suv just as the farmer/rancher has a need to haul hay/cows in their dually, we're not talking about those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
When's the last time you saw a large SUV filled to capacity with humans? They're obnoxious and unnecessary. Can be difficult to drive near, too, as if you're near one on a 4-lane road with narrow lanes, they're often encroaching on the nearby lane, and I often feel compelled to swerve my anti-Hummer (Toyota Corolla) a bit into the oncoming traffic lane as I pass them by (this of course assumes sufficient space...not that desperate to pass)

lol, careful if you tap them in the rear quarter panels as suvs are easily prone to rollovers

Old 06-05-2018, 03:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
lol, careful if you tap them in the rear quarter panels as suvs are easily prone to rollovers
I have driven them since 1977 and have not observed them so easy to rollover. In our part of the country, go down to any parking lot and 75% of motor vehicles will be SUVs or 4 door pickups, and you never see one of them rolled over when out and about.

Any car can have it's limits, but if driven by a sensible person a SUV or Pickup is as safe as any vehicle. In fact they are called the most dangerous vehicles in the country. Not dangerous to their driver and occupants, but dangerous for the person foolish enough to run into one.

Put a little snow on the ground and let it ice up, and you will see cars piled up all along the freeways. No Pickups and SUVs (we drive 4X4 and AWD here) but those little dinky cars a lot of people drive around the country.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:49 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times
I had driven plenty of big cars, vans, box trucks and the like but never owned one. So I was quite surprised at myself when I ended up buying an SUV. Fast forward 10 years later, regular cars are just too damn boring. The only small car I can handle, my convertible. From one extreme to the other.
Now I'm driving an ex police Expedition. Oh man... people get out of my way damn quick!

Old 06-05-2018, 04:58 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You know that Germany is a lot smaller than the USA and the roads are smaller also fule is expensive there but wages are also higher there their autoworkers are all union, unlike their plants here in this country.
What with having called Hamburg home for a few years, I'd say yes, I know that.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to hurl down the Autobahn in an F-150 running flat out. "Terrifying" comes to mind.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What with having called Hamburg home for a few years, I'd say yes, I know that.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to hurl down the Autobahn in an F-150 running flat out. "Terrifying" comes to mind.
Maybe to you but i see plenty of police driving F150’s were I live. And they don’t drive them like a little old lady they haul ass when they are in pursuit. Unlike the small police cars in Germany the cars that they drive in this country are bigger sedans like the Taurus or the chargers, Explores, and pickups and Tahoe’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive