Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,887,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Put a little snow on the ground and let it ice up, and you will see cars piled up all along the freeways. No Pickups and SUVs (we drive 4X4 and AWD here) but those little dinky cars a lot of people drive around the country.
Funny, most of the vehicles I see ending up in the ditch are driven by idiots who think 4WD = 4 Wheel Stop. I've driven a 1998 Taurus sedan, and a 2005 PT Cruiser, both front wheel drive and both through some pretty bad winter weather, and never had a problem with snow or ice, because I adjust my driving to the prevailing road conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,633,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Here in Wisconsin, it seems that anytime the roads get a bit slippery the majority of vehicles sliding in the ditch are the big SUV's and Silverados
Probably the ones that aren’t 4WD. That I’ll jever understand either. A truck needs to be 4x4.

South Florida is about the only place I can think of where you wouldn’t need/want a 4WD mammoth.

But even then, those mossy boat ramps can be slick as ice..

Last edited by Mister 7; 06-06-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-06-2018, 11:27 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
My beef with SUVs is that far too many people don't know how to drive or park them. I saw a guy in a massive SUV try to pack into a parking space in the garage in Carrboro. The space was much too small for his vehicle, and he ended up scraping the car next to him. he gave up and then sped off before I could take down his plate number. I am a short person who drives a Corolla, and when I am sandwiched between these behemoths in a parking lot, I simply cannot see to get out of the space until half my car is already pulled out of the space.
The new large SUVs and pickups have a optional backup assist were all you do is flip a switch and the vehicle backs up by itself.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM

50,083 posts, read 35,727,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Here in Wisconsin, it seems that anytime the roads get a bit slippery the majority of vehicles sliding in the ditch are the big SUV's and Silverados
I see this on Jersey highways all the time. I actually blame the commercials for that, they have people driving 100mph in all sorts of dangerous conditions with the tiny disclaimer "professional driver on closed course". People mistakenly think they can drive them fast in ice as well as snow.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I have driven them since 1977 and have not observed them so easy to rollover. In our part of the country, go down to any parking lot and 75% of motor vehicles will be SUVs or 4 door pickups, and you never see one of them rolled over when out and about.

Any car can have it's limits, but if driven by a sensible person a SUV or Pickup is as safe as any vehicle. In fact they are called the most dangerous vehicles in the country. Not dangerous to their driver and occupants, but dangerous for the person foolish enough to run into one.

Put a little snow on the ground and let it ice up, and you will see cars piled up all along the freeways. No Pickups and SUVs (we drive 4X4 and AWD here) but those little dinky cars a lot of people drive around the country.
Here in Alaska, it's the opposite.

85-90% of the vehicles that end up either ditch-diving or rolled over in a ditch are pickups or large-size SUVs.

The cars, wagons, and smaller SUVs and CUVs tend to handle the inclement weather much better.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Well that pretend truck the F150 is the best selling vehicle in the USA for over 40 years in fact it’s the best selling vehicle in the world, VW would love to have a vehicle like that.
Hopefully, that may happen in the not-too-distant future.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...truck-concept/

Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,191,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
That's the thing though, we're talking in general terms for a broad audience, your wife has a need for an suv just as the farmer/rancher has a need to haul hay/cows in their dually, we're not talking about those people.

lol, careful if you tap them in the rear quarter panels as suvs are easily prone to rollovers
Yeah true but it seems like a lot of people tend to lump all SUV drivers in one category. Ahole pos driver. Period. Which isn’t true.
But like anything else everyone gets lumped on one category or another. You can say that about pretty much any subject you wanna bring up.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:28 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Hopefully, that may happen in the not-too-distant future.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...truck-concept/
Still not a full size pickup with a v8 and is shorter than the American pickups, I seen that VW on the news here it still won’t knock the king of pickups from the top spot. The F150 is way better than any import pickup and they know that the sales numbers don’t lie.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You all can complain all you want large suvs and pickups are a way of life now. There’s going to be allot more on the road especially with the mpg the new ones can get. 6500 pickups are sold a day in this country.
Using your figure:

6,500 (pickups) x 365 (days in a year) = 2,372,500 trucks

Assuming half of those trucks are full-size (F-150s, Tacomas, Silverados, etc.): 1,186,250

The average price of a full-size trucks (after consumer incentives) at the end of 2016 was $32,444.

Source: https://www.trucks.com/2017/02/02/tr...motive-prices/

1,186,250 (pickups) x $32,444 = $38,486,695,000 (1 year of sales)

Wow, what a marketing scam.

"A fool and his money are soon parted".

Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Still not a full size pickup with a v8 and is shorter than the American pickups, I seen that VW on the news here it still won’t knock the king of pickups from the top spot. The F150 is way better than any import pickup and they know that the sales numbers don’t lie.
Dude, yes, it's shorter and has a V-6, just like most of the F-150s that Ford sells today.

Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive