Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 AM

219 posts, read 157,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s not the SUV fault you’re trying to say that if she was driving a small car it would not of happened, the driver is at fault not the vehicle. I love it when people try to blame a vehicle instead of the driver of the vehicle. That woman would of hit you regardless of what she was driving.
I did not blame the vehicle, but the driver who hit me. The idiot had zero idea on how to drive in a busy crowded city situation, but driving a living room on wheels didn't make it any better as her excuse for hitting me was, "I didn't see you because you were too close." That excuse wouldn't have been an option in a smaller profile vehicle as the cars would have been at similar heights, although I'm sure that had she backed into me while driving a sedan she'd have had a different explanation. I'm going to leave my story at that and not get into an argument with a stranger online about an incident that occurred four years ago.

That being said, and having driven several large SUVs over the years myself, prior to the advent of back-up cameras, visibility of other cars (and people) was a concern--especially on a sloped driveway. The latter is the main reason that I got back into the habit of backing into the garage as it was far easier to see the neighborhood kids when I was leaving the house. (My former spouse always owned either trucks or SUVs; I drove them often.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Well the average American driver want big comfortable vehicles and that why they love a large suv or a full-size pickup that’s who the automakers targeted sales are zeroing in on there more of these people than you race car performance people. So that’s we’re the automakers make their bread and butter on the average American driver. I rather have a full size pickup or suv because i know i can use it to haul a person driving one of those small performance vehicles out of a snow bank if need be or tow the trailer that the performance vehicle is on after it wraps it self around a pole because the driver thinks he’s Mario Andretti.
Yeah, I covered this with my American's aren't really drivers reply therefore they want a floating living room, not a driver's car like in Germany where they would get a ticket if they aren't passing in a left lane of a motorway/highway. People just drive all over the place here and really don't "drive" with purpose or seriousness. That being said, people do want some huge vehicle because they like being in a high position and just giant comfort. Lots of people that are overweight here as well, so that suits them. On the flip side of that lots of tiny woman seem to gravitate to the biggest SUVs, which is interesting, so psychology plays a part I am sure. People like to feel they are big in the US it seems, so huge is in. I am big anyway, so I tend to not need an SUV/pickup, but I have owned them in the past.

To each their own. I always felt the SUV would stop being in, but I was wrong and now I feel they will be here to stay forever. People like driving big bricks down the road in the US and not something that can be driven around corners at speed. Fuel prices don't seem to have effect on sales anymore since we have tons of money here in the US. Even at $5 a gallon, I don't think it will matter much. My car doesn't get great fuel economy with around 500hp, but still around 28mpg if I drive it easy. Amazing what new cars can do if aerodynamic.

I don't feel I hate anyone driving whatever, but I watch SUVs and Pickups very closely because they are so dangerous with very little maneuverability, so I always leave more room in front of me if one is behind me. I want to make sure they can stop, because I know I will stop twice as fast as they will.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:58 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
My experience is that huge SUVs are often being driven by people talking on the phone, cutting people off in traffic because they have poor visibility out of the vehicle, people who can't park without taking 2 spots, and blocking visibility of traffic behind. I like big SUVs for what they are good at but beyond that I just don't get why people buy them. And, yes, I have several Toyota Land Cruisers that get used for a specific use and get parked otherwise.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Why do some people hate Prius drivers? Why do some people hate sports car drivers?
My impression is that sports-cars have become the target of particular opprobrium. Every imaginable vehicle has its defenders and detractors... but sports-cars suffer especially from the latter. With trucks and truck-based vehicles, there’s the argument for safety (real or perceived), utility (real or perceived), prowess in poor-traction/inclement conditions (real or perceived). But sports cars are widely panned as being “toys” and the indulgences of midlife crisis compensation. We see this in the waning of sports cars’ popularity. The demographic that would have bought a Camaro, or a Nissan Z or Toyota Supra, now buys a truck, or SUV.

Quote:
The automakers are building what the American people want, and that is SUVS and pickups so get use to it.
Indeed. SUVs, large or small, are popular. Manufacturers build them. New models keep coming out, some to spectacularly good sales. But look at new sports-cars. The Toyota/Subaru BRZ is the “classic” sports car, with much to recommend itself… but it largely flopped. Part of the reason, I think, is the image-problem with which sports cars are saddled. I wonder how many would-be BRZ owners instead bought a Tahoe or an Escalade. Look also at the Mazda Miata. It sold well in the 1990s, but far less well today, despite being the same price (if not cheaper) when adjusted for inflation. Something changed in American automotive tastes. For the foreseeable future, truck-based vehicles are going to dominate.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
?
I hate them in front of me, or next to me in my parking spot, because I can no longer see the road in front of me or, in terms of the parking spot, whether I'm backing up into traffic. I hate them when we're at a busy intersection and cars are turning left, and I would be able to easily get around them on the right, but the giant SUV in front of me can't get around them on the right, so I sit there through 3 light cycles, too. I hate that they are frequently parked outside the lines in parking spaces. I hate that I can't see why we have come to a complete stop on the freeway because all I can see is the giant a** of the SUV in front of me. I hate driving behind giant SUVs with tinted back windows, because on a sunny day it is like someone is shining a spotlight directly into my eyes. I hate when they get behind me and try to bully me into going faster knowing their headlights are directly in my eyes. The bullying behavior to try to get me to go faster during our snowstorms this winter was awful. Go live in Montana if you want to drive your SUV in the snow like the guy in the commercial does.

Is that enough, lol?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This is an old topic, circa 2008. You won't read anything new here.
That's true of most City Data threads outside of Current Events. There are only so many topics, lol.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Are there any cars that nobody hates?

Mazda RX7

Old 06-04-2018, 10:00 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Are there any cars that nobody hates?
Maybe the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile??

Old 06-04-2018, 10:10 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yeah, I covered this with my American's aren't really drivers reply therefore they want a floating living room, not a driver's car like in Germany where they would get a ticket if they aren't passing in a left lane of a motorway/highway. People just drive all over the place here and really don't "drive" with purpose or seriousness. That being said, people do want some huge vehicle because they like being in a high position and just giant comfort. Lots of people that are overweight here as well, so that suits them. On the flip side of that lots of tiny woman seem to gravitate to the biggest SUVs, which is interesting, so psychology plays a part I am sure. People like to feel they are big in the US it seems, so huge is in. I am big anyway, so I tend to not need an SUV/pickup, but I have owned them in the past.

To each their own. I always felt the SUV would stop being in, but I was wrong and now I feel they will be here to stay forever. People like driving big bricks down the road in the US and not something that can be driven around corners at speed. Fuel prices don't seem to have effect on sales anymore since we have tons of money here in the US. Even at $5 a gallon, I don't think it will matter much. My car doesn't get great fuel economy with around 500hp, but still around 28mpg if I drive it easy. Amazing what new cars can do if aerodynamic.

I don't feel I hate anyone driving whatever, but I watch SUVs and Pickups very closely because they are so dangerous with very little maneuverability, so I always leave more room in front of me if one is behind me. I want to make sure they can stop, because I know I will stop twice as fast as they will.
Pickups have been on the American roadway since before the 1930s and all of a sudden people are complaining about them, they have been around long before we were all born. Like I say I love large comfortable pickups and SUV’s because I know I can go places were a car can’t go at anytime. I’ve rescued more than one idiot car driver from snowbanks who thought that their car was a lifted 4x4. And when I did rescue them they were happy I had my big 4x4 pickup.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
In my opinion, Hummer H2 started the hate among people toward large SUVs. It came out at the most inopportune time for the company (GM), plus the gas prices started rising, causing the hate toward large SUVs from the "green-minded" folks.
I think it was the H1 Hummer that started the hatred. Arnold Schwarzenegger was the first to show off his H1 back in the early 90s, I remember many people joking about why someone needed such a large, capable vehicle, when most drivers never leave the pavement.

I dont really care what someone chooses to drive, but have to admit, its kind of foolish to drive some huge 8 passenger behemoth when they do not really need it, but hey, if they want to be wasteful, its their money, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive