Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,590,755 times

Advertisements

The OP is just using cruise control as a figure of speech, not demanding everyone use it, the OP is just frustrated with those rude drivers who won't let other drivers pass by speeding up to prevent passing, or once they've been passed, they speed up to pass and then go back to their original slow speed in front of the other car.

I've noticed this pattern of driving before and it's idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 05:59 PM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Figure it out.

I figured out that you didn't understand the OP. Sorry, for thinking you did and that you were just ranting about CC.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,382,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's an "unwritten rule" that 5-10mph above is acceptable
That may have been true at the same time 55 mph was highlighted in orange on the speedometer.

Now, cities like Atlanta instruct state troopers not to pull cars unless they're 20+ mph over the limit.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
The OP is just using cruise control as a figure of speech, not demanding everyone use it, the OP is just frustrated with those rude drivers who won't let other drivers pass by speeding up to prevent passing, or once they've been passed, they speed up to pass and then go back to their original slow speed in front of the other car.

I've noticed this pattern of driving before and it's idiotic.
^^^Agree, that's one of my biggest pet peeves when we drive across country every year. Some people should not be allowed on the interstate's until they learn how to drive on them.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,361,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Why do you do this?

I start to pass you and then you speed up; or you speed by me, get over in front of me and then slow down.

It's very annoying, please stop.
Agree. I use it whenever I drive on open highways or freeways. Not in busy traffic obviously.
People are generally really oblivious in traffic. They are in their own world .

Old 06-07-2018, 06:56 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,777,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the golden rule View Post
warning: Lengthy post ahead.

I just returned from a 400-mile trip (800 round trip) and here are some of my personal observations, all pertaining to interstate driving:

It's not rocket science. Driving takes alertness at all times, whether you use cc or not. Just because i use cruise control, it doesn't mean i'm less attentive to the road. In fact, it's useful because it helps me stay at a speed i'm comfortable with. If traffic is light, i can pass a slow poke without disengaging. If traffic is heavy and there are many people wanting to pass, i adjust my speed accordingly and then go back to cc when it's safe and makes sense for the driving conditions. My gas mileage is better when i use cc because my speed remains constant and my foot/leg doesn't get tired and make it difficult to maintain the exact same pressure on the gas pedal.

many people are either oblivious, too dumb, or too lazy to get out of the left lane. I had to pass a guy on the right in texas (i-30) because he refused to get out of the left lane, doing 65 in a 75, as we passed signs that said "left lane for passing only." i see it all of the time. It's very common in texas. I try to stay in the right lane unless i, like the sign said, need to pass. It's what i was taught in driver's ed so many years ago. Simple concept, really.

I was passed by many cars that i later passed, who then passed me again, etc. As the op said, they seem to have an issue with being passed. I'm not a speed demon. In a 75 mph zone, i set cc for 80; in a 70, i might do 76-77. And i leave it. That's my choice. It's a range that i consider reasonable for me. If you want to go faster, that's your choice. You won't find me hogging the left lane. If you want to do the exact speed limit that's your choice as well, but stay in the right lane and don't speed up when i go by. If you feel threatened by a 60 year-old woman in an suv passing you, you should get some therapy for your insecurity issues. Or learn to use your cc and stick with one speed and be happy with it.

Of course, i will not use cc when it's raining (can cause hydroplaning), in heavy traffic, when encountering lots of curves, etc. But i am a very proactive driver. I watch the road carefully in all directions. I know where the cars are ahead of me, next to me, and behind me. I anticipate. I act accordingly. If i see someone merging onto the interstate or a stalled car on the shoulder, i move over to the left lane. I pay attention to how fast or slow the traffic is ahead of me as well as behind. I see drivers speeding up and slowing down all the time. If you can't handle keeping your speed steady, maybe you should use cc. If you can't stay alert while driving with cc engaged, perhaps you should leave the driving of a big, powerful machine to someone else who is more capable. And common courtesy should be much more common than it is. But it's getting rarer all the time, and not just on the road.

I actually got pulled over once, 41 years ago, because i passed somebody on the right on i-57 in illinois. The cop said he had to decide between me and the slow poke in the left lane and decided on me since i was young and he thought he'd have more influence on me and my future driving. I knew better, but since then i've worked harder to avoid passing on the right. I will often flash my lights behind someone plodding along in the left lane with no one in the right lane, but most are either too stubborn or oblivious to move over. I've never had a ticket in 44 years of driving.

Unless you're driving an antique, cc is usually an option on your car. I've driven many manual transmissions over the years and except for the 69 chevelle, they all had cc. Dh's mustang is a six-speed manual and he uses cc frequently. It improves his mileage and keeps him from going too fast. If you're really good at keeping your foot steady for long periods of time, good for you. I do better with cc and it doesn't hinder my alertness at all. In fact, i can hit the brakes quicker when my foot is not on the gas. In any case, if i'm behind the wheel, cc or not, i'm paying close attention. I think more people could be okay with using cc if they got used to driving with it, but obviously not everyone is the same. If i keep passing you, it's because you're the one who can't pick a speed and stick with it. That's your choice too. Just stay out of the left lane!

I couldn't use cc locally if i tried. Around town where i live, few people do the speed limit. On the main stretch of road, a four-lane divided road with speed limit of 50, most do 35-40 and some even slower. On roads where it's 35, they seldom hit 30. And we have tons of roundabouts, which seem to put people into a state of panic that renders them incapable of movement. It is frustrating to think that people are incapable of maintaining the proper speed or deal with the numerous roundabouts. I can't decide if it's a lack of intelligence, distracted drivers, laziness, or fear. I dislike driving around here but i doubt it's much better anywhere else. I've concluded that most people are just not paying attention like they should and it's definitely gotten worse since cell phones became common.

Speaking of staying alert when driving, why does it seem that so few people use bluetooth for phone calls? I haven't held a phone to my ear while driving in well over 10 years, and i never text while driving. I use the steering wheel controls to change the stations on my stereo and the voice commands to engage my navigation. Yet i see people of all ages, genders, and race, screwing with their phones while driving. No wonder accidents from distracted driving are getting to be so common. Making a new facebook/instagram/twitter post is obviously so much more important than slamming into the car in front of you...right?
^^^bravo!!!^^^

Old 06-07-2018, 08:34 AM

13,533 posts, read 9,936,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If you use cruse control your not paying attention to your driving and upset everyone else on the road.
Actually, if you do, you have to pay a whole lot more attention to your driving, and take actions far ahead of where you'd normally need to. Often, you have to switch the cruise control off, because of people cutting in, right on your front bumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive