Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:41 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And we will but could you at least get out of the left lane if people are going faster then you in that lane? Thanks.
O i do and i smiled at one guy who i got out of the way for, and then he was pulled over for speeding, and i also gave him the thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 01:26 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Why do you do this?

I start to pass you and then you speed up; or you speed by me, get over in front of me and then slow down.

It's very annoying, please stop.
My cars don't possess cruise control. If you start to pass me, you will succeed in passing me rather quickly.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Op,count me in on using cruise when feasible. Let the speedsters pass...we are each getting to our destination . I like to ease on down the road with the least amount of annoyance by drivers. I take it as a compliment when a man passes me...I tell my gal pals....hey a guy made a pass at me today at my old age we'll take any pass.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:33 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
This. My car doesn't have cruise control, but even if it did, I'd probably be lucky to be able to set it for a more than few minutes, even on the highway.
Yeah, that's the main issue where I live... even in the middle of the night, you can never count on steady traffic or empty roads (let alone drivers who aren't erratic). I would use it on a long road trip, like going down I-5 to southern CA, but it honestly just doesn't occur to me. Literally can't remember the last time I used CC!

Old 06-04-2018, 01:40 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If you use cruse control your not paying attention to your driving and upset everyone else on the road.
Clearly you have no idea how it works. Not surprising, considering you are from LA. You don't get enough of an open highway to make having a car with cruise control worthwhile.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:47 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
I'm with the OP on this; especially on a two-lane highway. Some people don't like to get passed, while others prefer to not drive at a constant speed (I've seen drivers sporadically brake for no good reason). This makes passing a slower vehicle much more difficult and less predictable. For as frustrating as I find it to be, I can't help but wonder how cheesed off professional truckers must be when they encounter this.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Speeding up or slowing down when you attempt to pass has nothing to do with cruise control. I hate cruise control and never use it. I don't know why but I find it frightening and I feel like I am not in control of the vehicle. But I also prefer 4 on the floor too!

Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve owned lots of manual transmission cars over the years that had cruise control. I never felt like I had less control over the car.
I think only about half of mine had it, and I've owned 6 or 7 manual cars in 25 years... tbh, I used to think it wasn't possible on a stick! Even now that I drive an automatic, and know it has CC, I never even consider it. Nothing against those who do, it's just a personal choice.

Quote:
I live in the land of speeding-ticket-for-profit. I use the adaptive cruise control constantly as part of my ticket avoidance strategy. Speed limit + 9 on the highway. Speed limit + 4 on secondary roads. I’m invisible at speed traps. It saves me a ton on auto insurance surcharges.
Not sure where you are, but around here (Bay Area) the cops change their "tolerance" based on the road. For example, you can get away with driving 80mph on highways 280 & 85, but not so much on 101. I also know where all the speed traps are, and like being able to adjust my speeds accordingly... I almost always keep it at/under 80mph regardless, so haven't had a speeding ticket in some years now.

Quote:
I’m a private pilot. I can’t imagine flying in instrument conditions without autopilot. I already have enough work load between the radios, navigating, and watching everything. The “I drive better” is a crock. Cruise control can hold a constant speed better than I can. Same as autopilot flying straight and level.
I'm not denying this; just saying I don't like it myself! Maybe I had a bad experience once? Who knows, lol.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:36 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Speeding up or slowing down when you attempt to pass has nothing to do with cruise control. I hate cruise control and never use it. I don't know why but I find it frightening and I feel like I am not in control of the vehicle. But I also prefer 4 on the floor too!
I have never before seen or heard of anyone AFRAID of cc lol wow

Old 06-04-2018, 03:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Love cruise-control, wish I had it.

CC used to be quite crummy, especially on hills.......that slow response, then the burst of speed to get you back to your setpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive