Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 10,963,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Segway... the electric car of walking.
Yes indeed. Notice how they are completely dominating the sidewalks now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Dwatted Wabbit, do you make money selling oil fuels?
No, but if I was in the business I'd have no problem making money on oil.

You're enjoying the fruits of Modern Western Civilization, punching your oil-well-derived keyboard and running up your post count with single posts.

Without oil and motor vehicles, take a guess where Modern Western Civilization would be now? Go ahead.

Quote:
The problem with your played out analogy is that nobody needed to subsidize cars. EV’s enjoy heavy subsidies and endorsements and still nobody’s buying them. Their wretched depreciation alone will eat up any fuel savings.
Certain segments of society always did and always will think Central Planning is the answer to all problems great and small. And it's generally been anywhere from tragically disastrous to merely stupid.

But without favorable legislation and subsidies, electrics would be nowhere.

Quote:
Wow you are out of touch.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...-vehicle-sales
US car sales are actually at all time highs. Nobody commutes in an Uber. Uber is for going to the airport and bar hopping.

Quote:
Except everything from the plastic your phone is made of to the asphalt your car drives on is from petrol products.

Quote:
Petro fuels enjoys great indirect subsidies. They are responsible for many deaths and health problems (air & accidents), but the auto/oil industry does not pick up the tab.
When are you moving to the deep woods and shucking off the pathetic imaginary benefits of a petrol economy?

Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,612,552 times
I haven’t read the whole thread yet but here’s a new start up supposedly taking orders now. They’re focus is community/commercial/fleet. The company has an interesting background in terms of the major players in it (co-founders Dr. Don Panoz and Jack Perkowski ).

https://green4u.com/vehicles/

Old 06-07-2018, 12:17 PM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
A car with a 350 mile range will charge in about 17-18 minutes on a rapid charger. Read what I wrote, I never wrote stop every 100 miles at all. I am suggesting that driving 5 hours non-stop is foolish. BTW, if you drive from Lands End to John O Groats you will need an overnight stop. Average mileage in the USA is the same as Europe. Most people do not run off on 500 mile trips regularly, few do. Most trips are very short.

Travelling on a highway in an EV is no different than in a dirty fossil fuel car. Rapid chargers are everywhere in some countries, and will be everywhere in at least the western world and China, as the momentum picks up. You will be driving an EV at some time as the days of dirty cars are coming to an end.
How soon do you think rapid chargers will be here, which is one of my longish trips?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/allegheny

Total population of the listed Counties is roughly 125000.

This is where the colleague I mentioned earlier is going this weekend. The closest charging station is 23 blocks from where he'll be staying.

https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/electric-...ging-stations/

Old 06-07-2018, 12:20 PM

5,338 posts, read 14,071,350 times
Quote:
Driver fatigue. A minimum break of at least 15 minutes after every two hours of driving is recommended
That must be some kind of wuss European model. There are people in the US that commute that long.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,682,810 times
Quote:
In California, NY, etc, there are plenty of chargers. They have not made it to the boonies yet. But electricity is everywhere. You can fit your own charger at home and charge up while asleep.

Americans do not have better teeth than the British, study concludes:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...concludes.html

You are full of myths about teeth and EVs. You need to get your teeth into EVs.
You know the list of those states which include "...etc" is not very large. I'm glad you confirmed my points. Maybe you sleep while you wait for your car to charge, I've got more productive things to do. You're just trolling. If you can pass the insane tax structure Britain has in the United States, and change the government structure to parliamentarian, then maybe the government can pay for and IMPOSE the network of superchargers. This country doesn't run this way.

Remember who saved your asses in WWII. Using planes and tanks with fuel...

Quote:
I guarantee I have seen more of the USA than you.
Lame. Seeing it and living it are not the same thing.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 06-07-2018 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:

The tipping point for EVs is about now. Many major manufacturers are spending billions on EV and battery production. They are not doing that for nothing. In 5 years time EVs will be all around you. You will have no choice but to buy one as filling stations close all around you. Then you will be forced by economics to be clean.
I don’t know about that. There are new gas stations being built everywhere in my area, I doubt they’d be investing money into them if they thought they’d be closing in 5 years.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:26 PM

4,717 posts, read 5,019,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Without oil and motor vehicles, take a guess where Modern Western Civilization would be now? Go ahead.
Modern civilisation did well before oil and motor vehicles. Oil is fine for the products that can be extracted, but burning oil and destroying millions of lungs? That is dumb. You are confused in thinking that getting rid of filthy fossil fuel burning is eliminating oil products.

Last edited by John-UK; 06-07-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,382,786 times
Gas prices will go up "in response to increased demand", some consumers will buy an EV because of it, electricity prices will go up "in response to increased demand", then gas prices will go up again because the demand is DOWN and now REVENUE isn't what it used to be.

Gas spiked in response to hurricane Katrina and it took YEARS to come back down, it touched $1.80 in my part of the country once, went back up over $4.00 a gallon in 2009, touched below $2.00 one more time a few years later, and now it's back over $3.00.

Since petroleum products have many international customers, I imagine there are other countries whose demand is less steady than our consumption, can swing prices more than US demand alone can. It just seems that pre-2005, gas prices were low, stayed low, and barely crept up.

Thoughts?

Old 06-07-2018, 12:30 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
I guarantee I have seen more of the USA than you. But even if you want large ugly pickups, EVs can give you that as well. The EVs will come and sooner than you think.

You have been slaughtered. You revert to insults and ignore hard data when proven wrong.
We can clearly tell you’re clueless about it. You went to the San Francisco airport once so now you’re an expert on US market trends.

I don’t want a large pickup, and if I did, it would not be an EV for obvious reasons.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
Modern civilisation did well before oil and motor vehicles. Oil is fine for the products that can be extracted, but burning and destroying millions of lung? That is dumb. You are confused in thinking that getting rid of filthy fossil fuel burning is eliminating oil products.
Yea, the average age was 45 and people had no running water. Propose to your fellow Brits to live in the pre Industrial Revolution and see how far you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive