Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:59 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I started driving in the 80s when this was already the law. What were your feeling about this law when it was first passed? What were your feelings when it went away?
In 1973-4 I was 16, and didn't understand that the executive order of November 10, 1973 (at 50 mph) follows by the law, effective March 1, 197 at 55, was pure theater, like airport security. I was glad about its partial repeals in 1987 and 1988 and full repeal effective December 1, 1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 08:13 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Open eyes. All it takes to see it. Turning on the lights just to cross an intersectiobso they can run a red (then turning into the coffee shop of course), tailgating, turning without signaling, constantly going 10 or more miles over with no lights just to quickly get, not to an emergency scene, but to their speed trap spot on the highway.
I asked for a credible source, not your opinion. Until you spend 40 years in a patrol car, like I did, you have no idea what an officer's reasoning is for driving in the manner you observed. Granted, a lot of officer's could set a better example of day-to-day driving, no argument there, but unless you know for sure his/her reasons, speculation serves no valid purpose - unless you have a grudge or an axe to grind.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
55 mph with today's cars would not work. The vehicles on the road today are too dynamically competent and safe to be limited to such a low speed. At least in my 2011 Honda Accord V6, a relatively standard car on the roads today, it would feel like crawling on a wide open interstate.

Heck, people go in the high 70s / low 80s on a speed limit of 70 in KY / TN.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
In the autobahn, there's no speed limit and no stupid accidents like in America. Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does. A stupid driver can die in an accident at any speed.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In the autobahn, there's no speed limit and no stupid accidents like in America. Speed doesn't kill, stupidity does. A stupid driver can die in an accident at any speed.
There is never any accidents on the autobahn? That is amazing.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
It’s also a false statement. There are ambulances stationed at certain sections because of accidents. The reason why there’s fewer accidents are road maintenance, stricter driving qualifications in Germany, and vehicles engineered to handle such speeds and road conditions. Here in USA it’s far too easy to get a license. Too many of our roads are in poor condition. So many road imperfections (like potholes or slab joint gaps) causes a loss of tire contact with the road surface. The more imperfections, the greater the loss of control. Another factor is strictness of vehicle inspections. Some European countries’ inspection are so in-depth that, if done here in USA, many poor people would be without a vehicle because of failed inspections. Problems with structural frame, suspension, brakes, emissions, and lighting are just a few of the things inspected.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:32 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
that because they are traveling so fast, they cant find parts from being scatter everywhere

Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Germany
An article on why it’s safer on the autobahn

Old 06-10-2018, 11:07 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Back then the highest legal speed limit in the entire country was 55 mph. Then again, some of the cars produced in the mid 70s to mid 80s would have struggled to reach 80 so going 75 could have damaged some of those cars.

Ah, that makes sense.

My first car was actually my mom's first new car, that she received for a graduation gift. I now wonder if that would explain why my doing 90 on the NJ turnpike, basically made my car commit suicide soon after I took my exit.

That was dumb of teenager me but super smart of my parents. I see why we were given a used car for our first car.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
German highways are their own topic, frequently popping up this forum. With some experience on said highways, I have mixed feelings. First, so many stretches – now probably most – do indeed have a speed limit. Typically it is 120 kmh (about 75 mph). German highways are also narrower, often have sharper turns, shorter areas for merging or exiting the highway, and more frequent signage to which drivers must attend. Directions at highway interchanges aren’t “north-south-east-west”, but reference neighboring cities. If one doesn’t have thorough familiarity with German geography, finding one’s route, without electronic assistance, is a challenge. In short, driving is more stressful and more demanding. But it is also most satisfying, not only in those speed-unlimited stretches, but on account of generally good discipline and higher driver-skill.

Indeed, there seems invariably to be a tension, between good discipline, that does not require as much oversight, enforcement or punitive measures – and a more lackadaisical approach, that invites all three. American society is famously “free”, in the sense of people not feeling much self-imposed incumbency to behave just-so. The result is more police-presence, more fines, more people in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive