Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:24 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,608,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
To me, paying by CC was the most sensible way to do it. I would have gotten all those points and then paid of the entire balance prior to having any interest charged. I did end up financing it through the dealer, but I don't see how that was an advantage for them, because the interest rate was zero and I paid it off in full almost as soon as I got home, prior to even ever getting the first bill.
I'm sorry, but that wasn't really very smart financially. I can understand wanting to pay off a loan when you have to pay interest on it, but in this case they were essentially giving you free money for X number of years. You should have taken that cash payoff amount and bought some sort of investment with it. Even the 0.05% from a savings account would have netted you more money than just dumping it into a loan you had no real reason to pay right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM

3,026 posts, read 4,976,121 times
So the dealership called me again. Asked me if i wanted to come in and discuss. They had no numbers for me on the phone. I asked why i would go in if they weren't going to move on the price. They said they would call back.

Why would they call if nothing has changed? Am i supposed to go in and agree to their price now?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,608,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
So the dealership called me again. Asked me if i wanted to come in and discuss. They had no numbers for me on the phone. I asked why i would go in if they weren't going to move on the price. They said they would call back.

Why would they call if nothing has changed? Am i supposed to go in and agree to their price now?
That's what they're hoping for, yeah.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:55 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,653,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I'm sorry, but that wasn't really very smart financially. I can understand wanting to pay off a loan when you have to pay interest on it, but in this case they were essentially giving you free money for X number of years. You should have taken that cash payoff amount and bought some sort of investment with it. Even the 0.05% from a savings account would have netted you more money than just dumping it into a loan you had no real reason to pay right away.
Yes, I probably should have done that. I didn't want to be bothered with making monthly payments, etc. I guess I could have set them up to pay automatically. Oh, well. It's too late now.

Thanks for the advice, though. I appreciate it and maybe I'll do that next time I buy a car.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
They still do that. They will take the keys and give them to their "used car manager" so he can go appraise your trade and they take forever to give them back.

I always bring my spare set. If they try to pull that game, I'll just leave using the spare and tell them to mail/UPS me my main set of keys.

If it were me, I would only give them the spare keys (If there is a difference). I will keep my main keys. If they are exactly the same then forget I said this.

Anyway, why are people giving over there keys before choosing a car and negotiating the price for it? Why tell them you plan to trade before you get that far in the process? I just went through his with a friend who was buying a car. We never mentioned a trade, or a down payment, until the price was set and agreed to.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,797,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post

My last 2 cars I got I didn't even go into the dealer until the papers to sign and car was ready. I didn't need to test drive the car and did all the shopping over the phone. Then I gave my info over the phone to do the credit check and picked my car up later that day.

Personally I would look for a different dealership cause this one sounds like a hassle. I don't get the reason of needing the credit card to make sure your serious. Maybe you end up not liking the car or the price is not right.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 4,976,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
My last 2 cars I got I didn't even go into the dealer until the papers to sign and car was ready. I didn't need to test drive the car and did all the shopping over the phone. Then I gave my info over the phone to do the credit check and picked my car up later that day.

Personally I would look for a different dealership cause this one sounds like a hassle. I don't get the reason of needing the credit card to make sure your serious. Maybe you end up not liking the car or the price is not right.
Well, I'm just playing this out to see where it goes and what they do next. I absolutely will not purchase a car from them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive