Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 03:40 PM

369 posts, read 325,111 times

Advertisements

To the OP.
I realize your not mechanically inclined, which is an extremely useful skill if your owning used cars.
So maybe try this:
Watch the obituary postings in your town. Survivors generally end up with some "gently used" vehicles.
I'll let you figure out how to Segway into that conversation with the grief stricken.
Jim
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:18 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I got a 2nd hand 2012 Hyundai Elantra in late 2015.
Your problem seems to be "user error" because who drives a Hyundai voluntarily?

Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Bought used in 2003 with 30,000 mikes

No problems, just the usual maintanance like oil change, new brakes.

Useful and problem free.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Am fed-up of buying a car it in next couple of years there would be a major issue with it and I will have to think about spending money on it or buying a new car.

In 2013, I got 10 years old Acura from a local dealer and it came with oil leak issue without me knowing about it. It wasn't caught in during mechanic inspection either. A year down the line, the engine blasted coz it went out of oil and my car was of no use post that. I got a 2nd hand 2012 Hyundai Elantra in late 2015. Early this year it started making weird noises while I was driving the car. Hyundai dealer told me that the rod bearing near the engine is going back and will have to replace that and entire engine. They said since I do have extended warranty (which I paid for while buying the car), I wouldn't have pay anything out of my pocket. They said it would take a month to fix the car, but it's 4 months now and I haven't got my car back. Everytime I call them, they say that the parts and engine are in back order and once they receive it from Hyundai, they would return my car to me. I did get a rental car, but for that as well I am paying insurance for last 4 months.

My friends who are car expert, suggested me to sell the car and get a new one. However when I do some research on cars, I am seeing that even high end cars like Merc or BMW is getting issues within first couple of years and have to spend money to fix those.

Does any of the cars these days come without major issues? I do understand that there could be issues if the car is 10 years old, but major issues in 2-3 years is bad.
I had a 1998 Subaru Forester that I sold @ 14 yrs old because the repairs needed exceeded value of vehicle. Wish I'd kept it. It was the best vehicle I'd ever owned. Subarus are excellent, but pricey to repair.

I have a 2011 Honda Fit that has needed the battery replaced & freon added to a/c. No other issues, at 7 yrs old. It meets the expectation of Honda being a reliable make.

I had an old Honda Accord Hatchback I'd bought new years ago. 13 yrs before I sold it. No big issues.

Honda, Toyotas, and Subarus...and their higher level brands of Lexus & Acuras, are the most reliable vehicles, according to Consumer Reports. Your issue with Acura might have been the odd man out or the result of prior mistreatment, since you bought it used. But I've never had an Acura.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 PM

270 posts, read 210,469 times
I love Kia because it's cheap for brand new and reliable. My Kia is 2003 and still running with 135000 miles.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Am fed-up of buying a car it in next couple of years there would be a major issue with it and I will have to think about spending money on it or buying a new car.

In 2013, I got 10 years old Acura from a local dealer and it came with oil leak issue without me knowing about it. It wasn't caught in during mechanic inspection either. A year down the line, the engine blasted coz it went out of oil and my car was of no use post that. I got a 2nd hand 2012 Hyundai Elantra in late 2015. Early this year it started making weird noises while I was driving the car. Hyundai dealer told me that the rod bearing near the engine is going back and will have to replace that and entire engine. They said since I do have extended warranty (which I paid for while buying the car), I wouldn't have pay anything out of my pocket. They said it would take a month to fix the car, but it's 4 months now and I haven't got my car back. Everytime I call them, they say that the parts and engine are in back order and once they receive it from Hyundai, they would return my car to me. I did get a rental car, but for that as well I am paying insurance for last 4 months.

My friends who are car expert, suggested me to sell the car and get a new one. However when I do some research on cars, I am seeing that even high end cars like Merc or BMW is getting issues within first couple of years and have to spend money to fix those.

Does any of the cars these days come without major issues? I do understand that there could be issues if the car is 10 years old, but major issues in 2-3 years is bad.
Hyundai is replacing lots of engines in both Elantra and Sonata, so yeah, the factory and the dealer service depts are swamped.

My advice is to buy a model that routinely makes the ‘most reliable’ list, usually Corolla and Camry. I sold my Sonata and replaced it with a Tacoma because I knew what was coming.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Some of it is not what you are buying but where you are buying used cars from or who you are buying a car from. The guy I always buy from is selling used cars in the business his great grandfather started. Its pretty hard to screw over people for four generations and remain successful and successful they are.

I buy pretty generic cars from them and all of them have reached 240,000 mile mark. I usually buy cheap; Buicks, Dodge, Impalas or fleet cars. When I want something cool to drive I go to Enterprise. I also can't turn a wrench on a car so I have the same mechanic shop do the oil changes and repairs for many years. I always say good mechanics aren't expensive, bad cars are.

I don't totally fly blind when buying a used car. I use about 5-6 websites in addition to wikki to see how all my favorite car choices check out or how they are rated. That's a lot of due diligence for some folks but it's fun for me. The downside is I have probably never bought a car I really wanted, I let the due diligence suggest to me what car is the best choice.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I just got back from a near 1000 mile road trip. I checked the oil on my 2014 Kia Soul ( 1. 6 l base) before and after. The level didn't budge and I had just had it changed 1000 miles earlier. I haven't put any oil in it since I got it, I just check it and get it changed when I have to. So my car at least has been 100% trouble free apart from safety recalls I didn't have to pay for. With the way its holding up across the board, I plan on keeping it until its at least 12 years old, maybe 16.
That Hyundai engine was known for oil problems and engine seizing. I had a pre 90s Chevy and '99 Chevy that never used oil much and never leaked oil. The engine and trans on them were bullet proof, although I had maintenance done. I'd just check car complaints. com to research specific models and check out potential problems. But cars today seem better built than ever.
Now this I wonder about: I have a 4 year old quart of 5 w 20 Castrol in my garage, unopened. Is it past its shelf life?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:29 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post

I just bought a 2014 Jetta TDI wagon. Love the TDI engine and I can see people carping about uneven reliability of VWs. However, it has just the right level of accessories for me. Manual AC, power windows and door locks, back up camera and bluetooth. No more.

I'm on my second Jetta

2011 SE 83k not one issue

2017* SEL 4k not even a squeak or rattle, Turbo 4cyl plenty of power and upper 30's

for 90% suburbia driving

* 2019 Jetta is out with a Major Re-design, this makes the 2018's an Excellent Value
if you do not need the updated model

Old 06-13-2018, 07:31 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,398,714 times
You might consider leasing. Go with a 3 year lease of a highly rated car and you will never have to worry about repairs. In the rare occurrence of a repair, it will be covered by the new car warranty. Depending on how you drive, there is a chance you will never need to buy new tires. You can boil all your car spending down to a monthly payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive