Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Adding a pop-top and awning is really nice for extra camping room (especially on rainy days / cooking inside.)

for many yrs I used a 'snap' dining fly ($10)

A Canadian company does pop-top retro's

If you can stay light weight, a 150 version is more economical for operation, tires, brakes, and repairs, but a 250 / 350 is best for towing / heavy cargo.

Several of us contractors , built 'slide-in' versions of "work" and Play drawers, under a hinged deck for sleeping or work platform. Look to NZ for great ideas on camper van conversions. They get MANY right hand drive Diesel vans from Japan, and you can make a nice 40 mpg RV / work van. for very low cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:30 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Depends on the kind of build. Mine (minus a few accessories) is 540lbs of conversion. Add a few more when "loaded to go" (40lbs of food/ice, 35lbs of water, no idea on clothes weight). Economy on my first trip was 18.3 (dash showed 19-something), that's with the 3.5L ecoboost and a good bit of 70mph interstate driving. The 10~12mpg of the V10 digs into the travel budget a bit too much. About the only real difference I notice is that it's a bit more settled when in camper mode, takes a Touch more brakes (I find myself coming in too hot on stops shortly after putting it back into the van, at least for the first few times).

Goes back to that "gotta have running water" thing. It's all a complete waste for a small camper where the focus is on Going somewhere, not staying in with the AC cranked when you pull through your RV site. Van's are good for tent replacements. No rain issues, bigger/better bed, but you don't have a bathroom/shower in a tent, you don't cook in them either, and that holds true for van campers (steel tent). Yes, you CAN cramp that stuff into one, but they are costly, slow and full of compromise.

OP hasn't come back to say exactly what they want out of it.
Sure if you want a austere low budget package you can make anything relatively very light. But life has a way of catching up and you find that the “ it’s nice to have “ options will start adding up well......because it’s nice to have.
Portapotty like the type in a boat all self contained, a clean water tank supply is nice too. So is having a outside shower. Especially if you’re camping in remote areas.
I’ve gone hunting for a week and it’s a lot of stuff to bring. It all adds weight in the back of a truck.

Personally in such instance I would go with a full size 4x4 and a pop up Alaskan camper over a van. The conversion alone if you need a 4WD will be 10k minimum. And that’s with you doing most of the work. And the camper can easily be removed if needed

Old 06-17-2018, 07:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
...Since this would be your first, buying used and cheap is good. So is buying something pre-converted (be that a DIY or company built). Just take any potential vehicle to a competent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. (My emphasis)
Agree 100%! A decent used class B camper (van) or class C camper (larger than van) can be often bought about as cheaply as a straight van, and the conversion is already done and it'll usually have lower mileage than a work van. I'd look long and hard for one before buying a used work van and converting it. Some already have the raised roof, an awning, wet bathroom (water heater, shower, sink and toilet), stove, refrigerator and a table and bed of some sort. Likely it'll have captain's chairs, camper electrics and a rooftop A.C. as well. I know you don't think you need all that, but believe me, at some point you or camper person #2 will wish you had all of it.

It does seem to make a big difference where you buy these things -- cheaper in certain parts of the country.

I'd also suggest considering small class Cs as well, and maybe even pickup campers. Personally, I like pickup campers. They go on and off in a few minutes with the typically installed electric camper jacks. The biggest advantages of vans is better mileage and better handling in wind, but the bigger class Cs or pickup campers are generally much nicer for camping.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
First, sign up with expeditionportal.com .

The van in the picture is likely a e250,350. That is a roof mounted AC unit.

If the van is for a weekend getaways, maybe an Astrovan/Safari in a conversion model would fit the bill. They do come with quad captains chairs ,a sleeper bench, and the extended top.

For a true weeks on end, living it very rough, and be self dependent, a Sportsmobile type of conversion would be more suitable. Lifted, 4x4, and most every thing necessary to live in the rough.

Or even the Chevy Express, with the V8 and dual side barn doors. I would be nice to have luxury , up to date comforts in a Luxo Van. The executive conversions are so cool.

The holy grail of American Full Size vans is the Dodge 150 with the 5.9 v8. many conversions out there , if you can find an owner that is willing to part with it.

I have seen this you tube channel with all these custom Dodge Sprinter Vans, in a number of configurations.Paul Sherry Conversions? worth a look.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you are going to live in this van A/C is a must as vans can turn into ovens in the summer and if it does have A/C its probably going to require an electrical hookup when stopped for the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive