Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:26 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times

Advertisements

go for the buyback. obviously there's something wrong with the engine and the car is under warranty. as for the vacation just rent something big enough to meet your needs and if they can pay for it so much the better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 01:54 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
In my opinion, here's what you should do:

Ask them to provide a like car for your vacation.

That's it.

Its reasonable, something they can do, and will get rid of your biggest issue.

You can Lemon Law it if you want, but you will be responsible for paying for the miles already on the car...they'll deduct that from your refund, plus then you have no car and your credit appears to be in trouble.

You can ask for a payment, but I wouldn't expect it in this case. You are about to get a brand new engine in a car that has no collectibility, so this is a good thing. Brand New.

I would mention to corporate the dissatisfaction you have had with the dealer, and maybe that will help motivate them to help you out a bit, but unfortunately corporate and the dealer are separate entities.

Good luck, despite my thoughts on a solution, I'm sure this is very frustrating and disappointing to you -- it would be to me too. I just wouldn't sweat it since you have a car to drive and they are fixing yours.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post

I had a consultation with a consumer law attorney last week. I was advised that I could take advantage of the lemon law (dealer buyback) or request a cash compensation from Hyundai. I’m only interested in getting Hyundai to cover last months car payment. The attorney also said that if I was to hire him, we would go after attorney fees (which are 100% recoverable in this case) and one of the two options above. Should I just contact Hyundai and request them refund me the amount I paid for last months payment?
1. You don't need an attorney for a lemon law case. The return terms are set by the state, based on the mileage/what you paid for the car.

2. It will be an "all or nothing deal," Hyundai will not offer you a payment unless you pursue them for the lemon law and at that point you can come out of the deal much better than taking a payment.

FWIW I have lemon lawed 3 new cars. The best: Drove a $57,000 Mercedes 18,000 miles for about a $2500 loss. They handed me a check back for about $25000 and I drove out of the dealer a happy guy!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:54 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
In my opinion, here's what you should do:

Ask them to provide a like car for your vacation.

That's it.

Its reasonable, something they can do, and will get rid of your biggest issue.

You can Lemon Law it if you want, but you will be responsible for paying for the miles already on the car...they'll deduct that from your refund, plus then you have no car and your credit appears to be in trouble.

You can ask for a payment, but I wouldn't expect it in this case. You are about to get a brand new engine in a car that has no collectibility, so this is a good thing. Brand New.

I would mention to corporate the dissatisfaction you have had with the dealer, and maybe that will help motivate them to help you out a bit, but unfortunately corporate and the dealer are separate entities.

Good luck, despite my thoughts on a solution, I'm sure this is very frustrating and disappointing to you -- it would be to me too. I just wouldn't sweat it since you have a car to drive and they are fixing yours.
Hmmm. Yea. I’m pretty frustrated overall. I mean, I want my car back. I actually enjoy driving it , plus, it gets really good gas mileage.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
A road trip to San Diego. I intended on driving my car, but I’m not confident that the dealership will have it done in time. Which is a bummer. I could take the loaner car, but it’s smaller and gets lower gas mileage. Plus, I WANT MY DANG CAR BACK!
There is a bright side to using the loaner on your vacation. You won't have added those miles from the long trip to your car and depreciated its value.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
I’m not sure if this is the appropriate area to post my question. I was going back and forth between here and the Personal Finance areas. Anyway, on to my question. Mods, move it if you need to.

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in July of ‘16. The car is great! Fun to drive with nearly 200hp and I average in between 50-60mpg on good days. Bad days are around 45-50mpg. Last year it developed a noise upon initial startup. It was like a high pitched whining noise. I brought it to the dealership, this was late 2017. The dealership had it for a week and said they couldn’t find the issue. Fast forward to March, my car developed another engine noise. This one was a rattling noise coming from the engine. I brought it in May 23rd. This coming Wednesday, June 20, the car will had been at the dealership for a month. Hyundai corporate is telling me they are replacing the engine because while they can hear both noises, they can’t fix it. Luckily for me the dealership gave me a loaner car to use. I appreciate the loaner car, but I miss MY car. I have a family vacation coming up next week. A road trip to San Diego. I intended on driving my car, but I’m not confident that the dealership will have it done in time. Which is a bummer. I could take the loaner car, but it’s smaller and gets lower gas mileage. Plus, I WANT MY DANG CAR BACK!

I had a consultation with a consumer law attorney last week. I was advised that I could take advantage of the lemon law (dealer buyback) or request a cash compensation from Hyundai. I’m only interested in getting Hyundai to cover last months car payment. The attorney also said that if I was to hire him, we would go after attorney fees (which are 100% recoverable in this case) and one of the two options above. Should I just contact Hyundai and request them refund me the amount I paid for last months payment?
I would stick to the letter of what the law allows and not try to go for a smaller sum for compensation. If your remedies are to receive a replacement vehicle (if you're dead set on having THIS make and model) or receiving your purchase price refunded, don't waste your time seeking only one car payment.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Keep in mind if you go this route, you remove yourself from their list of people they want to make happy and onto the list of people they will only do the minimum they need to for.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Whats the gas mileage on the loaner? If its significantly different, bring this up as a argument that you are not being made whole, and ask for a better rental.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:47 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,761,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Whats the gas mileage on the loaner? If its significantly different, bring this up as a argument that you are not being made whole, and ask for a better rental.
I get about 30-35 mpg on my loaner, which isn’t terrible, but I also get around 50-60 on my hybrid.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
How about the diminished value aspect of this. I would be less inclined to buy a car with a replaced engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive