Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times

Advertisements

I'm old and female.

When I was growing up, most cars had leather seats.

The design was unique, so it was fun owning different cars.

Today they all pretty much look the same.

I wanted to get a VW Bug - was told by the salesman today that this year is the last year they'll be made and sold.

Took a test drive - totally underwhelmed. Not peppy - interior super bland - stereo system tinny - no fun design - cloth seats. Blah.

How do you get interesting features in a car these days?

Do you get leather interior done after-the-fact?

What other upgrades can you easily get installed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Upgrading the stereo system would also be fairly easy to get done aftermarket. As would wheels and tires, and suspension adjustments.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I can't understand why cars don't come "fully loaded" with cool features anymore.

It's almost impossible to get leather upholstery.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:17 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I drove company cars for 10 years that had leather seats. They were cold in winter and very hot in summer. I no longer drive company cars and would never buy any car with leather.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Stopped at a new car dealership in my state. Just looking. Noticed in showroom a base model with leather seats. I asked salesperson about the leather seats on base model. Showed me sticker next to MSRP sticker.
$1,500 added to do all seats in leather. They do it all of the time. For those who want leather but don't want to pay more for the Limited or Platinum models.

Granted, $1,500 is a lot of money. Might even be cheaper at an independent automotive upholstery shop.

These were not added seat covers over the cloth. The cloth was taken out and leather put in its place. Looked same as factory leather seats. And any color you want.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
It’s almost impossible not to get leather or a vinyl imitation these days. Even budget cars come with it these days. VW is a bit of an anomaly with the Beetle and base GTI. But that’s more of an intentional heritage design.

Katzskin makes some good aftermarket leather seats.
https://katzkin.com

Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
You didn’t drive the turbo top model correct? When you look at low end base models, of course they won’t have much of anything. You get what you pay for. Spend more, get more, pretty simple. Applies to all things in life.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Not every make and model will offer all the same features and options. I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept to understand. A simple pre showroom visit internet search will provide all the information you need to know about available options, how allocated by trim, stand alone options, factory or dealer options, how they are bundled, and approximate msrp of those options. Additionally, as you climb the luxury ladder of automobiles, you'll discover the world of premium options. These are those things you don't see specifically listed a options but more a general mention such as "premium paint colors" or "special order leather" or "executive, security, diplomat, etc" packages or "custom embroidery", etc..

Old 06-19-2018, 03:58 AM

628 posts, read 839,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It’s almost impossible not to get leather or a vinyl imitation these days. Even budget cars come with it these days. VW is a bit of an anomaly with the Beetle and base GTI. But that’s more of an intentional heritage design.

Katzskin makes some good aftermarket leather seats.
https://katzkin.com
I saw several Chevy vehicles that are not the base trim but like the mid level trim LT or LS with cloth seats at the dealership when I was getting my oil change

Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I can't understand why cars don't come "fully loaded" with cool features anymore.

What cool features do you want? Leather isn't "cool."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive