Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A fallacy is still a fallacy regardless;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ptUrQOMPs

Those two cars are almost exactly the same weight, it's the modern safety measures that make the difference. All things being equal you are likely to suffer more injuries in a smaller car in head on collisions. It's just a matter of physics. It's the sudden stop that cause injuries and the smaller car will decelerate faster than the larger one.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-21-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They are very small percentage of accidents bu do account for higher percentage of fatalities than the accident percentage. The one thing I have to wonder about them is how many are due to bad driving, e.g. a Mustang likely has higher fatality rates than a Prius but that isn't because the Prius is safer car to drive.
Often it is, because I see large SUVs being driven like they're sports cars.

However, I've seen crashes where the SUV flips after being hit on the side.

Then there's pure stupidity...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/multim...474292703.html

Old 06-21-2018, 03:49 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumbed View Post
If you want to increase your chances of living, go out and get some American steel!
Why? The crash tests strongly suggest American cars aren't doing as well in crash tests.

Only 21 vehicles earned 2018 Top Safety Pick+ awards from IIHS - NY Daily News

Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Feel like walking to the store? Well, it doesn't mean jack when you're dead. Never walk anywhere. Protect yourself inside an SUV, where you'll never be the one killed in a car-pedestrian accident.

Six thousand Americans are killed by cars while walking unprotected by a one-ton frame around them. This number has increased by half in the past decade, and it is suspected that SUV increases are the cause of the rising numbers..

SUVs are not just killing the drivers of smaller cars, but pedestrians too.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/08/pedest...r-iihs-report/

Last edited by cebuan; 06-21-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:51 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I guess some of you aren't smart enough to figure out the OP means that these little cars, the ecnoboxes just aren't worth your life in a wreck. He's saying buy a bigger car, buy more gasoline to get the same distance but get there alive. My youngest girl was in a wreck with her boyfriend. He drove an F150 4x4. The clown drove a Neon. Clown blew thru a red light. They hit pretty much hit head on. Killed 2 in the econobox. They drove the F150 home. It was later declared a total though but it made it home. That's probably the biggest reason I drive a truck- safety. Jeez, I even have LED running lights, front and rear and still almost weekly get rear ended by some dumbass on their cell phone. Or you get some blonde moron that tries to beat you thru an intersection so they can turn in front of you. I had a dumbass just last week drove off of an expressway embankment just so she could turn in front of me. Sure screwed up a new Lexus too. So Nope, I won't even ride in an sconobox anymore. My life, what's left of it, is priceless to me and I'm not going to die in some cheap ass car.
The "clown" wasn't killed by his car, he was killed by his own carelessness.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Allow me to bring a little factual data into this conversation.

Here:
Driver death rates

Those of you fixating on BIG v. SMALL - and insisting that one is safer than the other based on nothing more than your unsubstantiated notions (or, worse, anecdotal 'evidence' - you don't need a degree in stats to understand just how worthless that is - need to get a clue. There are plenty of large vehicles that are indeed demonstrably safer than some smaller vehicles. But the opposite - specific small vehicles that are safer than some larger vehicles - is also true.

I swear, the world positively teems with people who think this or that and never once does it occur to them that maybe, just maybe, it would be worth checking out to see if things in the real world actually play out the way they think.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I guess some of you aren't smart enough to figure out the OP means that these little cars, the ecnoboxes just aren't worth your life in a wreck. He's saying buy a bigger car, buy more gasoline to get the same distance but get there alive. My youngest girl was in a wreck with her boyfriend. He drove an F150 4x4. The clown drove a Neon. Clown blew thru a red light. They hit pretty much hit head on. Killed 2 in the econobox. They drove the F150 home. It was later declared a total though but it made it home. That's probably the biggest reason I drive a truck- safety. Jeez, I even have LED running lights, front and rear and still almost weekly get rear ended by some dumbass on their cell phone. Or you get some blonde moron that tries to beat you thru an intersection so they can turn in front of you. I had a dumbass just last week drove off of an expressway embankment just so she could turn in front of me. Sure screwed up a new Lexus too. So Nope, I won't even ride in an sconobox anymore. My life, what's left of it, is priceless to me and I'm not going to die in some cheap ass car.
So do you repair the rear end damage every week or do you just leave it mangled for the next week because there’s no point in fixing it?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Bull crap. I'm not going to tow my trailer with a Prius or Focus. Only idiots come up with this overcompensating crap.

Yeah I agree with this. I hear lame crap like that all the time. Yeah here let me tow 10k trailers with 3500 pound subcompact. . I have a truck because I always needed a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So do you repair the rear end damage every week or do you just leave it mangled for the next week because there’s no point in fixing it?

Maybe Trapper started with a 8 foot long bed truck and working down to a 6 foot short bed soon to be a 5 foot bed. After that it’s just a subcompact trunk.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
My husband and I should have died in the very, very bad car accident in our 2014 Kia Forte.

Kias are cheap, right? Not worth a you-know-what?

Psshh. Our accident was very, very bad. We both came out A-OK, with just a few random bumps and bruises here and there and a little soreness. That cheap little Korean-made car saved our lives.

...Funnily enough, I once hit a big deer with my 2002 Kia Rio, and it literally didn't damage my car at all. Deer guts were in my grill (gross), but NO dents, nothing. This happened about a year after my daddy hit a similarly sized deer on the SAME road with his big Dodge pick-up truck and tore the whole front end to pieces.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Maybe Trapper started with a 8 foot long bed truck and working down to a 6 foot short bed soon to be a 5 foot bed. After that it’s just a subcompact trunk.
I’m sure he knew he frequently gets rear ended and bought the long bed just to act as a very long sacrificial bumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive