Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

From what Ive seen, cars go back and forth, from being boxy to rounded, over and over again. different variations on this, but its mostly the case. I can definitely see boxy being a trend right now.

I just wonder what cars will look like in 20-30 yrs time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 12:23 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Boring colors (shades of gray)

Weird headlight & tail light shapes.

Extra lights.

Mutiple-piercing front ends, with several (clashing) grille openings instead of just one.

Front ends that drop straight down to the pavement, rather than curving gracefully underneath.

Today's auto design chiefs must've been punk rockers in their youth... they go for deliberate ugliness.
I actually love the blunt shaped front ends that drop straight down. The sloping tapered front end was getting a little long in the tooth. The straight vertical grills have a more old school pre 1980’s look to them.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:54 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Can't forget a black roof on any other color car.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Well what ever design the automakers do there’s nothing we can do about it.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I find those new Lexus front-ends to be horribly ugly. I can't stand them so I agree that particular design element is going to run its course at some point.

I expect a move back to front ends like the Model 3 or something like this Ford Probe. Looks to me Tesla copied the Probe, doesn't it!

Good observation. I noticed this to with Tesla. Interestingly, the Ford Probe, one of the early melted candy bar looking vehicles, did a very good job in its second iteration to take hints from the BMWs of the time with its front grill. The balance of the aesthetic of the second generation probe pictured hold their own in style IMO. I also liked their airplane cockpit like feel which over time many automotive makes adapted.

The initial entry of Kia models in mid 2000s did a good job of ergonomic design layout of interior driver controls and dash by keeping them simple and clearing out the clutter of multiple settings / controls.
The crossovers / small suvs all tend to look so much alike except for the Kia Soul or Jeeps.

Speaking of auto design 'elements', surprised the Honda Element style didn't linger longer even though boxy - it had a nice look (IMO). When I see them on road I'm surprised how well the styling (though boxy different) seems to have held up.

The current design element I notice the most is overuse (and large areas) of chrome. The huge front grills mimicking big 'look at me' belt buckles scream tacky to me. I prefer more subtle muted sleekness.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I actually love the blunt shaped front ends that drop straight down. The sloping tapered front end was getting a little long in the tooth. The straight vertical grills have a more old school pre 1980’s look to them.
I agree. My grandpa - for whatever reason - likes the pointy front ends. His favorite car he's owned thus far was his 1991 Firebird, and for that very reason.

Now owns a 300. Go figure.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Specifically, my biggest pet peeve these days is fake exhaust cutouts. The ones with a big, square opening and a little tiny round pipe are the worst and so obviously fake.

We had a new Volvo XC90 as a loaner last weekend and I liked the 9” screen in the dash. My wife, not so much.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Specifically, my biggest pet peeve these days is fake exhaust cutouts. The ones with a big, square opening and a little tiny round pipe are the worst and so obviously fake.

We had a new Volvo XC90 as a loaner last weekend and I liked the 9” screen in the dash. My wife, not so much.
Worst offender being the entry-level Mercedes SUVs where the pipes don't even flow through the cutouts in the bumper. The exhaust dumps out under the bumper. Not a big deal until a cold day when it's obvious.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:57 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
[quote=ddm2k;52286610]Worst offender being the entry-level Mercedes SUVs where the pipes don't even flow through the cutouts in the bumper. The exhaust dumps out under the bumper. Not a big deal until a cold day when it's obvious.[/QUOTE

Who cares as long as it works as intended you can see every one else’s exhaust in the cold weather also I never thought of exhaust as a design it’s to expel exhaust gases why does it have to look sexy it’s a exhaust people make to much out of the stupidest details.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:03 PM

[quote=easy62;52286835]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Worst offender being the entry-level Mercedes SUVs where the pipes don't even flow through the cutouts in the bumper. The exhaust dumps out under the bumper. Not a big deal until a cold day when it's obvious.[/QUOTE

Who cares as long as it works as intended you can see every one else’s exhaust in the cold weather also I never thought of exhaust as a design it’s to expel exhaust gases why does it have to look sexy it’s a exhaust people make to much out of the stupidest details.
No functional impedance, but why put exhaust cutouts for decoration if they won't be used? Irony, I guess.

And the "hood louvers" made popular by Buick, that I see generic copies stuck (poorly) along the hoods of autos that I know for a fact did not come with them. It's laughable, but as you say, definitely not world-ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive