Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 PM

21,696 posts, read 24,880,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
FACT:
The website of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety makes no such claims.

Here's the website. Not some CNN Money article, but the actual website of your source.

Driver death rates

Rollover rates vary considerably by make/model. Civic? Prius? Rollover fatality rates of 0. Suburban? rollover fatality rate of 10. The industry average is 5. On to pickups, the Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD? 20. Nissan Titan Crew Cab short bed 4WD? 30. That's higher than every vehicle type in the MINI and SMALL categories.

There certainly are small vehicles with higher than average rollover fatality rates, and there are SUVs/pickups with lower than average rollover fatality rates. That's why, if this matters to a buyer, they'd better check the data for actual models and not just assume that because a vehicle is an SUV, it is inherently safer than a small car. Or vice versa.

That's not just my claim. That's straight from your source.
That's rollover death rates. And well, statistics is limited by the quality of the data.

Take the Mustang.
Mustang GT rollover death rate 28
Mustang rollover death rate 4
Mustang convertible 0

By the data, you're way safer rolling over in V6 Mustang convertible. Want to trust that data? I don't. I'd rather have a roof when I roll over. If you look at the overall death rate, which actually has confidence intervals, there's no statistically relevant difference in safety across the board. You're also better rolling a regular Mustang multiple times than a GT once. You have to apply some common sense. Is it more likely the regular Mustang is inherently much safer in roll over accidents than the Mustang GT and the safest of all is Convertible (GT or otherwise) or more likely that excessive speed played more of a roll with the GT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM

They also drive less. Older than sin data, but we drive about 1.4x as much as Europe, or did in 1997. The difference is probably even greater today. I'd say it's a combination of things. Half of it is the difference in VMT. The other half is a combination of road design, lax licensing, and driving culture.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar4.htm

Old 06-25-2018, 01:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,342,863 times
Solution is simple: find that 'balance' between 'what you want vs. what you need'...BUY it, and then learn how to SLOW THE EFF DOWN (ie: practice some 'self-discipline') while behind the wheel, and VOILA !

No more worries about rolling over.

Trust me...it works; you'll save more money (by driving slower, it co$t$ less by less trips to the fuel-pumps) AND you'll be doing your part to 'save the environment' because a lighter-foot on the throttle means LESS CO2 being pushed out the tayl-pipe, and into the atmosphere.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:52 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,943,481 times
At the rate I am headed, I may not believe hardly anything pretty soon. There is sloppy research which has always happened. There is also intentional misdirection and I believe that has grown like a midwestern dust storm.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
FACT: CARS ROLL OVER AT TWICE THE RATE THAN SUVs, ACCORDING TO Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. This information was made available to the public clear back in 2011. And no one keeps track of such knowledge than the Insurance Industry, as it helps them set insurance rates to keep their companies profitable.

SUVs now least likely vehicles to roll over - Jun. 9, 2011

But a lot of small car drivers, keep trying to spread that SUVs are so much more dangerous than autos, but they are wrong.

In our part of the county where go down to any parking lot and see that 3/4ths of all vehicles will be either SUVs or Pickups, we rarely see a SUV or Pickup that has rolled over, but not unusual to see regular cars that have rolled.

#2 Factor they pointed out in this insurance institute study, is the small cars are much more dangerous due to their small size, and more people die due to the size of the vehicle. It is much safer to be in a midsize or large SUV in case of an accident.

SUMMERY OF WHAT IS NOW KNOWN.

Small cars are roll over at twice the rate of Modern SUVs.

Modern Large SUVs are Safer than cars and have a much lower death rate compared to small cars.

Modern Large SUVs roll over rate is half that of smaller cars.

In "any parking lot"?

Only place I've seen cars that've been rolled has been salvage yards or impound lots and there's been more SUVs than regular cars.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In "any parking lot"?

Only place I've seen cars that've been rolled has been salvage yards or impound lots and there's been more SUVs than regular cars.
On the other hand, my sister used to drive Poverty on Wheels. A '79 Corolla. On two occasions people flipped it over on its roof in a parking lot. Small town and she was going out with a Class A jerk. Probably people he'd cheated out of drugs/money.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:00 PM

6,484 posts, read 4,887,872 times
I don't know, I've seen two SUV rollovers at intersections, with no other cars involved. Light turns green, driver makes the turn and next thing you know, they are on their side. Never saw a car do that (yet)

I always feel more secure in a lower COG vehicle.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,133,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
I don't care about statistics. They are irrelevant to me. I have a crew cab 4x4 diesel pickup but I also have a Porsche 911. I drive each one according to its capabilities. If I tried to drive my truck like I drive my Porsche I'd probably get into trouble with it!
Aaaannnd.....we have a winner.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 AM

3,317 posts, read 2,312,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Rollover rates vary considerably by make/model.

On to pickups, the Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD? 20.
They vary considerably even within make/model. Here are a list of vehicles that are structurally identical, but have differing rollover death rates.
  • Ford Mustang GT Coupe - 4
    Ford Mustang Coupe - 28

Chevrolet Suburban 2WD - 0
    GMC Yukon XL 4WD - 0
    Chevrolet Suburban 4WD - 10

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4WD - 4
    Ram 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed 4WD - 23

Kia Rio - 5
    Hyundai Accent - 22

Hyundai Sonata - 4
    Hyundai Sonata Hybrid - 13

On to the second part of your quote, IIHS does not keep records for heavy duty trucks (such as the Silverado 2500HD/3500, Ford Super Duty, or Ram 2500/3500).

Old 06-26-2018, 10:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,838,341 times
Goodness more fake news. It is just obvious that SUVs and Pickups will be the worst on our roadways. Just simple physics really.

https://www.thoughtco.com/suvs-most-...to-roll-533722
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive