Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

Some people around here overload pickups or other vehicles, too. One time, I was on a highway, following a pickup loaded with junk. It did not appear secured at all, so I left a long distance between us. On top of the pile was a large porcelain kitchen sink. Sure enough, when the truck hit a bump, the sink fell off the pile and crashed to the pavement, shattering into a bazillion pieces. Fortunately, I'd left enough space and was able to avoid hitting the debris and moved safely to the side of the road.

The kicker? The driver of the pickup never stopped!

When I resumed my trip, I followed a trail of smaller items strewn about the roadway.

This happened before cell phones were common, and I was nowhere near a phone booth nor a business. It was about 10 minutes later when I reached a business where I could use their phone to call the police and report the mishap.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Overloaded pickups and unsecured loads are a daily occurrence around here. The highway patrol will go after them pretty hard if they see them, but local law enforcment doesn't seem to care.

Luckily, I haven't been hit with anything but a flattened cardboard box that came flying out of the back of a pickup. It didn't do any damage.

Dump trucks with rocks flying off them are the bane of my existence though, thank God for clear bra.

Those overloaded, speeding gravel trucks are a major nuisance around here, as well. Other kinds of loose loads have to be covered, but gravel trucks seem to have immunity. The higher speed and fuller loads, cause a steady rain of fine gravel to fly off them and coat the streets and sidewalks. Walking barefoot on the sidewalks is painful and running with shoes is difficult, as you slip on the small rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Some people around here overload pickups or other vehicles, too. One time, I was on a highway, following a pickup loaded with junk. It did not appear secured at all, so I left a long distance between us. On top of the pile was a large porcelain kitchen sink. Sure enough, when the truck hit a bump, the sink fell off the pile and crashed to the pavement, shattering into a bazillion pieces. Fortunately, I'd left enough space and was able to avoid hitting the debris and moved safely to the side of the road.

The kicker? The driver of the pickup never stopped!

When I resumed my trip, I followed a trail of smaller items strewn about the roadway.

This happened before cell phones were common, and I was nowhere near a phone booth nor a business. It was about 10 minutes later when I reached a business where I could use their phone to call the police and report the mishap.

I’ve seen stuff fly out of a cars trunk also that was overloaded and tied down so you just can’t complain about pickups sedans also do it because people try to shove more than the trunk can hold. If they had a pickup this would not of happened. But people don’t see it that way

Old 06-29-2018, 04:33 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I’ve seen stuff fly out of a cars trunk also that was overloaded and tied down so you just can’t complain about pickups sedans also do it because people try to shove more than the trunk can hold. If they had a pickup this would not of happened. But people don’t see it that way

How many times have you seen cars with a mattress on the roof that looks like it might blow off? Like you said; pickups are not the only offenders.

When it comes to pickups; one of their worst offenses is firewood. Most pickups are ratted at one half ton or a 1,000 pounds. One cord of green oak weights four times that. Eight foot bed pickups, without side boards, can hold about five eighth's of a cord or about 2,500 pounds (that is a rounded load of firewood). So you are talking about a truck that is 1,500 pounds overweight. By the way; one log that falls off one of these loads could destroy most cars.

Many pickups also litter. Maybe not intentionally; but people will put light garbage, leaves/branches, empty cans and light plastics in the back without a cover. As they drive they can leave a trail of debris behind them. No cover on light debris also qualifies for a citation on a load not secured.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 AM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
That's very uncommon in the upper midwest. Must be a southern thing.
LOL, ya think? You could run that load past 100 sheriff patrol cars in rural Florida, and not even get a second glance from a single officer. There are also many locals there who would be stunned to learn that landscape and boat trailers actually have (or once had) tail lights that can be connected to the tow vehicle.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
LOL, ya think? You could run that load past 100 sheriff patrol cars in rural Florida, and not even get a second glance from a single officer. There are also many locals there who would be stunned to learn that landscape and boat trailers actually have (or once had) tail lights that can be connected to the tow vehicle.

I wonder if you remember the Nissan Mexican haulers? I encountered many when driving around the turn of the century. They would load most of a car or pickup in the back of one pickup that was also hauling a trailer with one or more vehicles in tow. Many times parts were falling off. I think they were taking them to Mexico to be stripped or rebuilt? I would see them on most of the Southern Interstates.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Also those old Model A cars and pickups during the Great Depression and the dust bowl in the south they had chairs and dressers and rocking chairs tied all on the fenders and roofs of these cars. So ever since the birth of the automobile people have been useing them to carry more than people.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 PM

599 posts, read 498,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I wonder if you remember the Nissan Mexican haulers? I encountered many when driving around the turn of the century. They would load most of a car or pickup in the back of one pickup that was also hauling a trailer with one or more vehicles in tow. Many times parts were falling off. I think they were taking them to Mexico to be stripped or rebuilt? I would see them on most of the Southern Interstates.
Sure do, it's still going on today. Last time I headed from PA. to FL. to begin the snowbird migration, I saw a few Mexico bound caravans. Typically they use one car or minivan to pull another. They pull the bumper off the second car, and weld a tow bar to the front. I would imagine that they also pull the front drive axles off too. One interesting rig was a medium duty flat bed with an eight foot section of class 8 frame, complete with a diesel engine and transmission, strapped on the back, and piles high with everything from a rototiller, to a pink barbie jeep. This was pulling a minivan, that was stuffed full of junk. I have been amazed at how far north they will go to score marketable vehicles and other goods. I've seen these caravans in PA, and as far north as upstate NY and MA.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Sure do, it's still going on today. Last time I headed from PA. to FL. to begin the snowbird migration, I saw a few Mexico bound caravans. Typically they use one car or minivan to pull another. They pull the bumper off the second car, and weld a tow bar to the front. I would imagine that they also pull the front drive axles off too. One interesting rig was a medium duty flat bed with an eight foot section of class 8 frame, complete with a diesel engine and transmission, strapped on the back, and piles high with everything from a rototiller, to a pink barbie jeep. This was pulling a minivan, that was stuffed full of junk. I have been amazed at how far north they will go to score marketable vehicles and other goods. I've seen these caravans in PA, and as far north as upstate NY and MA.
I remember them mostly on I-95 and I-10. I do not remember them as much on I-40; which seemed unusual to me at that time. It is possible that one or more states had harsher laws on what was legal to haul and what was not?

I was driving sleeper team at that time. Many of their combinations and loads gave us pause to wonder what was legal and what was not! We might have spotted them further north; but it has been too many years to recall.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
This is a daily occurrence here for trucks traveling into Mexico. It's usually pallets or mattresses stacked as high as they can go without taking out bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive