Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 AM

956 posts, read 511,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And what control are you losing? You're driving down the road now and decide you want a burger so you stop at the burger joint. With a computer driven car you decide you want a burger and it presents you with the option for all the nearest burger joints and takes you to the one you pick. Hell it might even be able to tell you what the wait time is at the drive through and offer you less crowded solution up the road a bit.
Your losing all control as you are allowing AI to take over your life. Driving is not something that AI should be doing. AI is dangerous and can go rogue.

I refuse to become a slave to AI. I would not want a robot doing my dishes either nor one guarding my home.

Have we gotten so lazy that we need to automate most things. That just takes away human dignity. We are at the point where enough is automated and doing too much more will enslave us to machines and take away human dignity. I pray to god I never live to see that day. And I probably have another 40-50 years left in my life time being only 34 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 AM

24,647 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I've worked in tech for 30+ years and it will be a long time before people can confidently trust a self driving car, particularly if there is no controls for the driver. This will be an evolution with more automation as we have seen over the years - cruise control, automatic braking, lane departure warning... Maybe 40 or 50 years from now, cars will be fully automated (driver can just hop in the car and watch TV or go online while car goes to the destination without any driver input).
Agreed. Self driving cars won’t be fully implemented until many decades down the road. It certainly doesn’t help that they still kill humans because they can’t be bothered to recognize that some pedestrians don’t use cross walks. Imagine if that was a child running after a ball in the street. Plus they would be massively expensive and carry the risk of being hacked.

No thanks, I’ll enjoy my paid off manual corvette and the “hassle” of driving without the worry of being hacked by foreign entities or accelerating over people at full speed.

It’s funny we’re obsessed with self driving cars but we don’t realize the price tag it will take to own one or how hideous they’re going to look with all those sensors and cameras. If an airplane was self-flying would we get in it? No.

We don’t even want to fix our aging roads and streets but we’re ready to put droves of self driving cars on it? No way.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
I'm 71 years old. In about 15 years, I am going to have to give up driving because of advancing age. When that happens, I'm going to be looking hard for a self-driving car. There are millions of boomers right behind me, with the ability to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on self-driving cars. You betcha they are going to happen. Nobody is going to leave that much money on the table.

You want a horizon? About 10 years. When we croak there will be low mileage used self-drivers on the market. They're going to be pretty common in 20 years. It has less to do with technology than economics.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Your losing all control as you are allowing AI to take over your life. Driving is not something that AI should be doing. AI is dangerous and can go rogue.

Skynet is fiction, dude.

Quote:
I refuse to become a slave to AI. I would not want a robot doing my dishes either

Are you really afraid of dishwashers? Amazing...

Old 06-29-2018, 11:15 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm 71 years old. In about 15 years, I am going to have to give up driving because of advancing age. When that happens, I'm going to be looking hard for a self-driving car. There are millions of boomers right behind me, with the ability to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on self-driving cars. You betcha they are going to happen. Nobody is going to leave that much money on the table.

You want a horizon? About 10 years. When we croak there will be low mileage used self-drivers on the market. They're going to be pretty common in 20 years. It has less to do with technology than economics.

Very good point. There are thousands of seniors even right now that are driving when they should not be because they don't really have a choice. Public transportation has been stupidly decimated in this country outside of big cities so many seniors need to drive to go anywhere. Self driving cars would be a God's gift to them and a huge safety improvement.

Pretty much the same goes for older teenagers/young adults who normally have a high share of car accidents. They should be able to just order a self driving car when they need to go somewhere. This would also reduce car crashes and lower insurance costs for anyone...

Old 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I just don't see it. If Uber decided to test self driving cars in Syracuse, NY for an entire winter season than maybe I would be more apt to believe self driving cars are going to be the norm within a decade. But Uber always seems to pick nice dry, sunny, flat locations with wide roads (no Pittsburgh doesn't count as a snowy location, in my opinion, even though Pittsburgh does have crappy roads).
Not Uber, but companies have autonomous cars year round in Boston.
Boston isn't sunny, dry, flat, or have wide roads. Or roads more than 1.5 lanes wide. And it's filled with M*******s.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

That's assuming that :
a) price for fuel is constant or falling;
b) population increase doesn't create more traffic jams;
c) taxes don't increase to fund the infrastructure.

I'm betting on the opposite:
a) price for fuel will rise;
b) population increase will gridlock the roads;
c) the tax cost will skyrocket, while infrastructure decays (potholes and decrepit bridges will proliferate).

Which means a wholesale shift to a different mode of transportation that won't rely on automobiles, pavement, nor petroleum.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:44 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Imagine the increase of traffic for those who can't drive or lost the ability to drive. Seniors, the handicapped, those who never got their license due to fear of driving. Self-driving cars are supposed to help with gridlock? Yeah, no.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
I will trust my life to a self driving car when I can trust my life to my computer, or my cell phone, or my TV, or my modem, or the power grid, or the Internet.

Which will be never.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:16 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Ever flown on a modern airliner? What do you think is flying the plane 99 percent of the time? And landing the plane in bad weather? An AI driven autopilot.

Take a look at what they can do. https://twitter.com/guillaumelaffon/...62459561922568

If a plane with 250 souls can be safely flown this way then you in a measly car will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive