Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:41 AM

853 posts, read 648,314 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just curious to know, who knows if some day I have the chance to have one, dreaming is free. How much money can cost a muscle car? My favourites are Chevrolet Chevelle, Pontiac GTO 65, Ford Mustang Boss 69. All those cars that are on sale are from those years or are there any place where they make modern replicas or restorations of those cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 03:43 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Google it for current prices and replicas?

Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Look on classic autotrader. Prices are all over the place depending on condition, popularity, original, restored or resto-mod. I almost bought a 1967 Chevelle for $18k, but it had a bad amateur restoration and a lot of things wrong with it. I have since seen better ones for a bit less, others for as much as $100,000.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
I like perusing the cars on GR Auto Gallery.

https://www.grautogallery.com/

Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Mecum is a big auction house that sells crazy priced cars: https://www.mecum.com/

Barrett-Jackson is even bigger: https://www.barrett-jackson.com/

Old 06-28-2018, 08:28 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
How much work can you do yourself?

If you can find a partially restored muscle car that you can finish then that might be the bargain way to get one.

20 years ago I bought a Factory Five Racing kit of a replica of my favorite muscle car a 1965 Cobra and I still love it.

It was a chore putting it together but it is still pretty cool when I turn the key and push the button and it starts up.

FFR makes other car kits now and there are a bunch of Cobras on the market. The prices reflect what the builders have in them. I have seen basic cars with the 302 5 speed like mine has for around $20,000. I have seen others with big HP engines for $40.000 plus.

A few weeks back we were at a big car show and some beautiful cars were for sale for very reasonable prices.

You could check out your local car shows that are usually run by a club. Some of those guys will build a car, enjoy if for a few years and sell it for their next project.

Look around, ask around, get to know the prices and have fun.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
I've been to several car shows - mostly classic car shows, and you can see prices on these cars range from $30k on up to well over $100k depending on what it is and how "mint" it is.

While I'm a Mustang guy, I love the 68 Camaro Z28 and would have one if I could afford it. Can't justify dropping more than $20k on a classic muscle car that I would only drive on a rare occasion.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Hi,

I'm just curious to know, who knows if some day I have the chance to have one, dreaming is free. How much money can cost a muscle car? My favourites are Chevrolet Chevelle, Pontiac GTO 65, Ford Mustang Boss 69. All those cars that are on sale are from those years or are there any place where they make modern replicas or restorations of those cars?
All those cars, depending on condition and originality, are pretty expensive.
Also, all these cars, because of age, have been restored to a certain extent. Some with original parts (extremely expensive), some with "new/old" parts or modified to modernize it's operation.

So it all depends what you want and for what purpose - a show car you trailer around, a driver, a racer? Your cheapest route is to buy these cars you see in the car trader magazine that need work, maybe a restoration project that someone gave up on. But you have to know what you are doing and what to look for - interior work is extremely expensive while engine work you can simply buy a crate engine and drop it in. It won't be original or numbers matching, but you will have a good driver. Look out for rust obviously as that, even with a well restored car, is death. Avoid the bargains that are advertised as "parked in the garage for the last 30 years", likely those need the most work.

It sounds like you want one ready to drive - and for those cars you are looking at big bucks....OR, do what I did when I wanted to buy a muscle car and extend your search to the early 70s or the lesser famous muscle cars like the Plymouth Dusters or Dodge Coronets, Olds 442s. Me I actually went with an '81 Corvette, this is extending the description of a "muscle car" indeed but you have the same chevy small block and remove the pollution crap that plagued mid 70s cars, add an intake and carb, free up the exhaust and you very easily have a 400 horsepower "muscle car" that turns heads.

Again however, be prepared to learn how to work on your car on a regular basis.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:33 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,352 times
In 1966 I bought a brand new tripower GTO, 4 speed off the trailer. $3800.00. Just saw almost the exact same car at Barrett Jackson, $100,000.00.

Sure wish I had that one back.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:49 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Value depends on many factors. I currently own a black 67 Pontiac GTO. I've done nearly all the work (except the engine and transmission) and it is still not finished. I have about 35k in it and will likely tie up 50k by the time it is complete. These cars are not for the faint of heart! You should be able to find a "driver" for 30k or so. Stay away from barn cars....stay very far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive