Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times

Advertisements

I have noticed an increase in what I call "defiant" pedestrians. My definition of a defiant pedestrian is one who proceeds to step off the curb to cross the street without even turning their head to either side. Often they are staring at their smart phone, but not always. Thankfully I am a conscientious driver and I have never hit one of these people. But if I was an idiot staring at my smart phone while driving, one of those people could easily be killed due to their own decision to not pay attention to cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
SUV's don't kill people....drivers kill people. Having said that, the type of person that loves big trucks and SUV's COULD (but not always) be an issue.

A larger vehicle can allow you to drive a bit more aggressively but at the same time, the extra weight makes it harder to stop when needing to brake suddenly. Being distracted in a Lincoln Navigator traveling 25 mph is a lot different than in a Hyundai Accent going 25 mph when pedestrians are involved.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM

78,375 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
As herds of rougue SUV's take to the streets, eager to pounce on unsuspecting pedestrians.....

Especially idiots walking around with their face and wits buried in the new "blue screen of death"
It's the drivers with their faces buried in those things too.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:04 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
SUV's killing people? No. More like the boneheads who choose to drive those unneeded, gargantuan behemoths that are doing the killing because theyre too busy texting to care to watch for pedestrians.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:14 PM

78,375 posts, read 60,566,039 times
1) The study cites the growth in SUV sales exploding from the start to the end of the study period....so that's pretty much the main driver right there. There are more SUV's on the road.

2) More and more drivers are cell phone addicts.

3) They weigh more, stop slower and hit harder. The basic physics stuff.

4) They don't mention utilization and in 2009 there was the financial crisis so you're taking a low end with people driving less as a starting point which is going to warp the "trend". Like doing a study on gas prices and starting with the highest point in the last 10 years and then finding that "gas prices are coming down" lol.

I'm sure the full study has more useful findings besides what NPR decided to report, regardless I don't find this to be one of NPR's better reporting efforts.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Obviously you have never been in an SUV. They do whatever they please. The driver is just along for the ride. When you SUV is going to do whatever it wants to anyway, well, may as well look at facebook. Seeing whether you got another 18 likes is far more important anyway.
Yep the driver has to make sure there very well liked on social media so they have to constantly be on their smart devices rather than keeping their eyes on the road. I guess being liked on Facebook is more important than killing pedestrians because they aren’t paying attention to the road. I wish they had a way to not be able to start a vehicle if personal electronic devices were on like the blow and go for convicted drunk drivers who have to blow into a machine in order to start their vehicle. Distracted drivers kill more people than drunk drivers today imo.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
3.1% higher? Did you not expect ANY variance from different vehicle types at all?

Old 07-02-2018, 02:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
What is this, national bash SUVs week?

Well, let's see. Guns kill people. SUV's kill people. Soccer moms with kids in the back kill people. So, we should get rid of SUVs, trucks, guns, soccer moms, and children. Everyone should drive a Honda Fit, weigh 120 pounds, be 5'2", and never reproduce.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:18 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
As herds of rougue SUV's take to the streets, eager to pounce on unsuspecting pedestrians.....
I had to run for my life from a pack of Ford Explorers just last week!

Old 07-02-2018, 03:14 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I had to run for my life from a pack of Ford Explorers just last week!
Lol I had to jump out of the way of a F150 myself it lost its mind. Why do people start these ridiculous treads anyway it’s one of the stupidest topics I’ve seen on here and I’ve seen plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive