Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Talking more about the masses in general. Preferences change with the economy. For example the Prius selling like crazy 7-8 years ago and now somewhat of a slow seller. People probably “needed” them back then...little has probably changed in people’s lives but now they “need” something else. I’d almost bet the farm that within 10 years buying preferences in general (“needs”) will change yet again. You
It would be a strange world if needs/wants didn't change.

I know it's thought to be a sign of intelligence to question how much culture influences the balance between needs and wants, and for sure some of that is in play here. But the world also changes all the time and so too do the ways we can choose to navigate those changes. It's silly and illogical to cling to the past.

It's not silly to think that people got into a Prius 10 years ago and 'had enough' or their other needs change where that vehicle no longer works. Frankly too that specific car hasn't really kept up much and it's perceived by many to be long in the tooth. Current buyers have many more options.

And also, the newer CUV/SUVs get better mileage and the gap between those vehicles' MPG and a generic 4-dr sedan's has lessened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 01:38 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You, what? I am certain that my needs will change over the next decade as my last child flies the coop and takes all his stuff with him. At that point, my SUV will be sixteen years old and likely ready for the junkyard. I'll buy a new vehicle at that point with the next phase of my life, empty nester, in mind.
+1.

Change is constant.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:44 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
No, I never specifically compared a Prius and Suburban. That’s false.

Secondly, SUV and CUV are loosely used terms. Honda themselves use the word SUV to describe the CRV. Motor Trend even awarded the CRV ***SUV*** of the year for 2018. So stop with the semantics in an attempt to seem like some kind of knowledgeable expert.

Thirdly, stop building straw men by saying I claimed without context that a Prius can do anything a truck can do. Be gone with these attempts at baiting one into silly arguments.

Who’s being judgemental? It seems that some get very offended when certain vehicles are discussed in anything but the utmost positive manner. If you like what you like, you should feel no desire to hush discussion/criticism.

If SUV is a loosely used term, then it completely renders your entire thread useless, because the title of your thread is as follows: " Do you think people will regret buying SUVs and trucks within the next 5 or so years?" It's stupid thread. Because according to you, a CR-V or a RAV4 can be referred to as an SUV, and these vehicles are normally 4 cylinder, even hybrid, vehicles. Secondly, you included trucks in your thread title - and again, you didn't specify full size, V8 trucks. You just said trucks. There are V6 mid size trucks out there - such as the Tacoma, Ranger, Frontier, and Colorado. Some of those trucks even come in a 4 cylinder variety. Heck, even some of the full size F-150's come in a V6 ecoboost and not a V8. But, you are the one who included trucks into your argument.

Secondly, you made this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell
A Prius is similar to a station wagon and fits about the same amount of stuff as most SUVs.
A Prius is similar to a station wagon and fits about the same amount of stuff as most SUVS. Again, if the context of your thread is to ***** and complain about the gas guzzling SUVs - the Suburbans, the Yukons, The Tahoes, etc... then it would only make sense that this particular statement would have you comparing a Prius's hauling capabilities with the SUVs you loath. Otherwise, your complaint doesn't make sense if you're comparing a Prius to a RAV4 or CR-V - because again, those "SUVs" (which are really CUVs), are mostly 4 cylinder vehicles, so the gas argument wouldn't apply to them. Why should someone choose a Prius over a RAV4 when the RAV4 isn't bad on gas and is fairly inexpensive to maintain AND has more room in it than the Prius? Either way, your argument doesn't hold much water, and you're trying to talk out of both sides of your mouth to prove a point, but you're digging yourself deeper in a hole.

And finally, who's being judgmental? You are. By starting this thread. You call SUV owners short sighted. That equates to you being judgmental of SUV owners. You also go on to claim that many SUV owners don't use the vehicle for the purpose it was built for. I'm sure that is true in some cases, but so what? Many people purchase V8 muscle cars and drive them right at the speed limit. Would you complain that these people misuse these muscle cars? Probably not. Yet, every single one of these vehicles that are out on the road share one main purpose, and that is to get people from point A to point B. It doesn't matter what other utilities those vehicles are capable of - that is the main purpose of said vehicle. So, if someone purchases an SUV for the sole purpose of getting from point A to point B, that is their prerogative. The vehicle is being used for the purpose it was purchased for. It does not matter what other functions the vehicle is capable of. Don't play coy and pretend that you're just looking out for people who have waywardly bought an SUV out of their own pure ignorance and you're just trying to help them make a more sound financial decision with their car buying. That is not your intentions with this thread, and you know it. You have something against those who do own SUVs, namely the big ones built on truck frames, and you want to ***** about it. Well, you've bitched and most people have said in so many words to get over it, because they're not changing their vehicle preference based on your opinions.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
+1.

Change is constant.
Exactly. I'm 52 years old and have owned three cars in my life. The first was a two-door hatchback, which my husband and I shared for nearly a decade until we bought a second car, a four-door sedan, when our first child was born. We made due with those two cars and then eventually just the sedan for a few years until we just could not make one car/three kids work anymore. Then, we bought the SUV. Child one shared the sedan with his dad and then eventually bought his own car. Child two then bought the sedan from us, leaving husband and I to share the SUV, which isn't a struggle because he's a consultant who works out of a home office most of the time. Now, child three is about to earn his license, meaning they'll be three of us sharing the SUV. Fortunately, it looks like #3 may be driving a hand-me-down car from a relative, which will be registered to his father and me until he has the means to purchase it from us. (Doesn't seem fair that he would be given one for free when the other two kids bought their own.) Transportation requirements change throughout our lives, and most people buy what they need when they need it. When I no longer need an SUV, I'll either trade it in or junk it. What comes next, Lord only knows. Maybe I'll live in a condo in the city and not have a car at all!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
We bought a Prius 7-8 years ago due to gas prices. My wife needed a car anyway as her VW was falling apart.

Nice car, drives well, smooth, quiet, etc. I still get 50 mpg out of it.

I have a station wagon and while it fits more we really don't need it.

I would personally prefer a smaller car capable of towing a 4x8 trailer for all my home improvement projects. I have little need for a 20 mpg truck when a 50 mpg car will work 95% of the time. The few times I've need a pickup I rent the one from Home Depot for $19.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:10 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Exactly. I'm 52 years old and have owned three cars in my life. The first was a two-door hatchback, which my husband and I shared for nearly a decade until we bought a second car, a four-door sedan, when our first child was born. We made due with those two cars and then eventually just the sedan for a few years until we just could not make one car/three kids work anymore. Then, we bought the SUV. Child one shared the sedan with his dad and then eventually bought his own car. Child two then bought the sedan from us, leaving husband and I to share the SUV, which isn't a struggle because he's a consultant who works out of a home office most of the time. Now, child three is about to earn his license, meaning they'll be three of us sharing the SUV. Fortunately, it looks like #3 may be driving a hand-me-down car from a relative, which will be registered to his father and me until he has the means to purchase it from us. (Doesn't seem fair that he would be given one for free when the other two kids bought their own.) Transportation requirements change throughout our lives, and most people buy what they need when they need it. When I no longer need an SUV, I'll either trade it in or junk it. What comes next, Lord only knows. Maybe I'll live in a condo in the city and not have a car at all!
This is a very sensible, thought out post. A+++

The SUV has served a purpose for you and your family. It may not be in the same capacity for you all in the near future, but it continues to provide your needs. I drive a Honda Accord coupe. It serves my needs to get from point A to point B, and I almost never have more than myself and my wife in the car with me. My son doesn't ride in the car, because I don't have a child seat installed and my wife feels more comfortable having him ride in her RAV4. However, there have been times, especially recently, where I could have used a full size SUV or a truck to haul stuff I needed. Instead, I either had to go rent a truck, or I had to borrow a truck from a friend or relative. For some projects I've needed, I've either not done or put off, because it required me to go out and haul some big items I needed for said projects. while I may not haul stuff in a truck or SUV every day, I've found that there are situations, at least bi-monthly, where I could use something bigger to haul stuff with. There have been times where we've needed to carpool two other adults, along with our child, and there isn't much room for all of those people when you factor in a child seat. An SUV with third row seating could really help with that.

I would say if one owns their own home and is required to maintain the upkeep outside, there's always going to be a reason to have a truck around.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:18 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The few times I've need a pickup I rent the one from Home Depot for $19.

The few times I tried to rent from Home Depot, the truck was already being rented, or the project was going to take longer than the hour that that $19.95 covered, including the travel time to and from Home Depot.

Add to that the logistics of driving to Home Depot, and either leaving your car there or having a second person to drive it home for you, then drive it back when you return the truck, and hopefully you didn't need to go over the allotted time with your project.

Having a truck on hand means you never have to schedule your projects around a rental being available. You can take your time and do things spontaneously (oh, look the weather is crappy today, so I'll wait and do the project tomorrow when it clears up. But the truck is already rented, what do I do now?). And with the truck around, you tend to find that you do use it much more often than you'd otherwise think as projects that you might be putting off or trying to combine into one big project can be done whenever you want to, on your own schedule.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:23 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If SUV is a loosely used term, then it completely renders your entire thread useless, because the title of your thread is as follows: " Do you think people will regret buying SUVs and trucks within the next 5 or so years?" It's stupid thread. Because according to you, a CR-V or a RAV4 can be referred to as an SUV, and these vehicles are normally 4 cylinder, even hybrid, vehicles. Secondly, you included trucks in your thread title - and again, you didn't specify full size, V8 trucks. You just said trucks. There are V6 mid size trucks out there - such as the Tacoma, Ranger, Frontier, and Colorado. Some of those trucks even come in a 4 cylinder variety. Heck, even some of the full size F-150's come in a V6 ecoboost and not a V8. But, you are the one who included trucks into your argument.
I believe the premise of the thread is clear...will people regret opting for vehicles with lower gas mileage than cars. A 4cyl being offered doesn’t make an SUV not an SUV. Hybrid varieties sell in such low numbers that they are irrelevant.

Quote:
A Prius is similar to a station wagon and fits about the same amount of stuff as most SUVS. Again, if the context of your thread is to ***** and complain about the gas guzzling SUVs - the Suburbans, the Yukons, The Tahoes, etc... then it would only make sense that this particular statement would have you comparing a Prius's hauling capabilities with the SUVs you loath. Otherwise, your complaint doesn't make sense if you're comparing a Prius to a RAV4 or CR-V - because again, those "SUVs" (which are really CUVs), are mostly 4 cylinder vehicles, so the gas argument wouldn't apply to them. Why should someone choose a Prius over a RAV4 when the RAV4 isn't bad on gas and is fairly inexpensive to maintain AND has more room in it than the Prius? Either way, your argument doesn't hold much water, and you're trying to talk out of both sides of your mouth to prove a point, but you're digging yourself deeper in a hole.
Who’s complaining? You are dramatizing what amounts to a discussion on vehicle choices. No need to be a drama queen. A 4cyl Rav 4 gets 25 mpg. A Prius carries the same amount of people and gets over 50 mpg.

Quote:
And finally, who's being judgmental? You are. By starting this thread. You call SUV owners short sighted. That equates to you being judgmental of SUV owners.
Short sighted is simply a description of behavior. It’s not judgemental in any way unless you take it as an insult. Again, you are dramatizing and in some way getting your feelings hurt. Why does such a discussion envoke these feelings?

Quote:
You also go on to claim that many SUV owners don't use the vehicle for the purpose it was built for. I'm sure that is true in some cases, but so what?
So now anything I choose to discuss gets a “so what” - why participate in the discussion if my choice in topics is so meaningless?

Quote:
Many people purchase V8 muscle cars and drive them right at the speed limit. Would you complain that these people misuse these muscle cars? Probably not. Yet, every single one of these vehicles that are out on the road share one main purpose, and that is to get people from point A to point B. It doesn't matter what other utilities those vehicles are capable of - that is the main purpose of said vehicle. So, if someone purchases an SUV for the sole purpose of getting from point A to point B, that is their prerogative. The vehicle is being used for the purpose it was purchased for. It does not matter what other functions the vehicle is capable of. Don't play coy and pretend that you're just looking out for people who have waywardly bought an SUV out of their own pure ignorance and you're just trying to help them make a more sound financial decision with their car buying. That is not your intentions with this thread, and you know it. You have something against those who do own SUVs, namely the big ones built on truck frames, and you want to ***** about it. Well, you've bitched and most people have said in so many words to get over it, because they're not changing their vehicle preference based on your opinions.
Now you’re just bloviating.

Sorry for the short replies, but I have no desire for essay form discussion lol.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We bought a Prius 7-8 years ago due to gas prices. My wife needed a car anyway as her VW was falling apart.

Nice car, drives well, smooth, quiet, etc. I still get 50 mpg out of it.

I have a station wagon and while it fits more we really don't need it.

I would personally prefer a smaller car capable of towing a 4x8 trailer for all my home improvement projects. I have little need for a 20 mpg truck when a 50 mpg car will work 95% of the time. The few times I've need a pickup I rent the one from Home Depot for $19.
I was in the same boat. I have towed a 4x8 trailer (1-2k lbs) with a Prius. The Home Depot people were surprised when I pulled up in a Prius to take home a 50 gallon water heater in the box...slid right in with the backseat folded down.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The few times I tried to rent from Home Depot, the truck was already being rented, or the project was going to take longer than the hour that that $19.95 covered, including the travel time to and from Home Depot.

Add to that the logistics of driving to Home Depot, and either leaving your car there or having a second person to drive it home for you, then drive it back when you return the truck, and hopefully you didn't need to go over the allotted time with your project.

Having a truck on hand means you never have to schedule your projects around a rental being available. You can take your time and do things spontaneously (oh, look the weather is crappy today, so I'll wait and do the project tomorrow when it clears up. But the truck is already rented, what do I do now?). And with the truck around, you tend to find that you do use it much more often than you'd otherwise think as projects that you might be putting off or trying to combine into one big project can be done whenever you want to, on your own schedule.
Well I wouldn't rent the truck if I couldn't haul the materials that day. If the HD truck wasn't available the Lowe's one was, and they are located right next to each other...

If you only drive a couple thousand miles a year it doesn't make much difference. But for most who put 15,000 miles a year on their transportation vehicle, it doesn't make financial sense to always drive a low mpg, expensive truck. But most guys will do it, and give the "reasoning" you gave.

Buy something for 95% of occasions and either rent or install a hitch and buy a cheap $300 4x8 trailer for the bigger stuff. I actually prefer a trailer over a truck anyway. Way easier to load and unload, and you can generally fit more stuff in them than the back of a F150.

My wife has a Prius and I have an old wagon with a hitch. I have towed 4x8 sheets of 3/8" plate steel and 2x2 tubing. It's not a big deal. And I get twice or better the MPG when driving around that an equivalent pickup would get. We used to have one, bought the Prius because it was just dumb driving around such a large vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive