Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 03:14 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Exactly. Looking at articles like that, is it any surprise that poor financial decisions also spill over into things like vehicle and home buying decisions. For the people that absolutely need what they buy and their finances are in order - I’m not talking to you so there’s no need to defend your purchases. However, as those articles show, we know there’s a lot of somewhat hedonistic people out there that simply buy what they want right now based on what they can afford right now...ya know, the people that often don’t care what something cost as long as they can swing the payment.

So why single out SUVs in a thread like this if it applies to EVERY purchase ond only for a percentage of the population? The ONLY reason is irrational hatred of the vehicles, regardless of cost or whether someone uses them. It's elitist BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So why single out SUVs in a thread like this if it applies to EVERY purchase ond only for a percentage of the population? The ONLY reason is irrational hatred of the vehicles, regardless of cost or whether someone uses them. It's elitist BS.
Because there has been a noteable shift towards SUVs/trucks becoming more popular and as a segment they typically cost more to operate. I certainly don’t hate any specific form of vehicle.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Everybody has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in this country. If the SUV owner isn't directly infringing upon your freedoms, then what right do you have to infringe upon his/hers? How do you know their purchase was a bad decision? Have you interviewed every single customer who purchased an SUV in this country? Probably not. So, how can you say they made a poor decision? Purchasing any vehicle beyond the means of the household, whether it be an SUV or a Prius, is a band economic decision. It isn't limited to SUVs. However, the entire thread is based on bashing the SUV owner, specifically.
Why are you so fired-up about defending SUVs and their owners? There are pros and cons to both SUVs and sedans. Just because you may happen to drive an SUV, doesn't mean anyone is directly "attacking" you. I don't begrudge anybody their decision. I don't need to interview every SUV owner. That's a silly statement. All you have to do is look at the figures I quoted earlier vs. the number of SUVs and full-size trucks on the road (which, yes, do cost more) and realize there are a good number of people spending money they don't really have on a vehicle. Drive around the lower-income areas of your city, and you can see the same thing.

Also, calling out someone on an online forum for making poor financial decisions is in no way "infringing upon" anyone's freedoms (not that I'm directly doing that anyway). They still have the right to do whatever they're going to do; I have the right to say my piece on it. That's not stopping them from it in any way.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:19 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
They still have the right to do whatever they're going to do; I have the right to say my piece on it.

And he has the right to say his piece on it, about your opinion just the same.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:21 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And he has the right to say his piece on it, about your opinion just the same.
No body said he doesn't. Go back and read his original quote claiming that my criticism was somehow "infringing upon" some nonexistent person's life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. All I'm saying is no, no it isn't.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
About 7-8 years ago people wanted nice small cars and hybrids (Fit/Prius, etc). The value of trucks and SUVs sank like rocks. Over the last couple years however people have forgot about the past and went heavily toward SUVs/trucks. Are we simply in a good economic period that will eventually pull the rug out from under people and have them wishing they would’ve bought something smaller/better on gas?

Haven’t we seen this scenario play out multiple times in the past? Maybe every 10-15 years? Are most folks just too short sighted to think farther out than the next 2-3 years?
I've been driving an SUV or crossover for the last 11 years. I have large breed dogs that I travel with, I need more than a sedan.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
I miss my 200K Ford Explorer that I literally ran into the ground. I am in a fairly new Sonata, nice ride, but handles like a go-cart in the snow. And I detest the fact I cannot see above the other cars like I use to be able to do.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
I will never own any type "car" after owning an SUV.

Well except for motorcycles... I will always own one of those.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:56 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,718 times
I drive a 2010 CRV Honda (maroon color) and love my car. Still looks brand new and has only 30,000 miles It stays in garage when not in use. I bought a new stereo with blue tooth as it did not have blue tooth connection for Iphone when I bought the car. Love my car...

Old 07-03-2018, 11:28 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
IDK about everyone else, but this thread has done nothing for me other than make me consider my next Yukon to be an XL as opposed to my regular. Because, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive