Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 07:05 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,100,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
People do this all the time. Ford offers a 4 cylinder mustang that gets over 300 horsepower and combined MPG OF ABOUT 25, but people will pay more for the similarly styled Mustang with the 5.0 and only 19 MPG. So why would it surprise you people would do this with SUVs too?

People will definitely accept lower MPG in the interest of increased capability, be it size or power.
Because people get stupid when it comes to horsepower.

Sometimes less is more.

Moderation is the spice of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
And you obviously forgot purchase price. Your average RAV4 probably goes for $26-27k whereas your average Corolla probably goes for $20k. At those price points, a Prius vs RAV4 may be a better comparison...RAV4 gets 25 mpg whereas the Prius gets 52mpg.
Naturally. Like I’ve said already: you pay for capability and capacity. If someone needs more space than a Corolla offers then a Rav-4 is a better option. Spending less money on a vehicle that doesn’t meet your needs isn’t exactly a smart way to spend money.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Because people get stupid when it comes to horsepower.

Sometimes less is more.

Moderation is the spice of life.
No, it’s variety. Variety is the spice of life.

And “stupid” is your opinion. Real to you, irrelevant to everyone else, especially as they’re enjoying their high horsepower motors!

Old 07-27-2018, 12:42 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times
I can't believe this thread is STILL going.

People like trucks, simple as that.

There are countless reasons. I don't want to be killed by some drunk driver while I'm driving a teeny car, I like my 6,000lb Yukon thank you very much.

My BIL's brother was hit head on by a drunk going the wrong way down the interstate going 80MPH, literally walked away without a scratch. DD was killed on impact. Not sure of the vehicle the DD was driving (it wasn't a truck) but BIL's brother was driving a Silverado 1500.

Safety alone is as good a reason as any.

Last edited by Mister 7; 07-27-2018 at 12:51 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
If you don’t like big SUVs or pickups don’t drive them but stop raging on people who do you make yourself look stupid, i for one could care less what people drive and if someone doesn’t like what i drive i could give a rats butt. People today are to dam opinionated and try to push their beliefs down peoples throats, just mind your own business people this is a free country and we can drive and live and do what we want without others sticking their noses in other people business please lock this tread it’s getting ridiculous 41 pages of useless information is enough especially by the people who have no knowledge of SUVs or pickups or the automotive industry.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Youre in left field somewhere.
Your whole thread is in left field somewhere.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
You say increased seating room but SUVs like the CRV/HRV have no more seating room than a Civic.
Wrong again, You get 2.5 more inches in the back...And once again, more headroom, and a higher, more comfortable seating position. 2.5 inches is the difference between a Civic and an Accord, FYI
Quote:
Point being that the CRV only has more room in specific scenarios where someone wants to carry something tall.
That's not correct, not at all. What I believe you meant to say is, "The extra cargo room does you no good if what you want to carry is long." So, if your goal is carrying a bunch of 2x4x12 pieces of wood, I guess you're our of luck in a CRV. But the fact remains, that you can carry a lot more in a CRV.
Quote:
I’ve personally carried 20+ bags of mulch in a Prius. In a rare circumstance that I need more room I have a 4x8 ultility trailer that dwarfs what a CRV can carry.
I have as well in mine. Utility Trailer? Because everyone wants to have a trailer hitch installed, drag one of those out (assuming they have room to store it,) hook it up, maneuver it, and un hook, re store the thing. Get real.

Quote:
Oh lord not a comparison to cars of 40-50 years ago. If that’s the standard, I guess cars should’ve stopped getting faster in the 90s.
All the same, you're talking about a .6 second difference in acceleration. Nobody would notice that unless they were on a drag strip.

Quote:
A Civic gets better gas mileage. Not to mention it costs about $5k less. For the price of a base CRV one could buy a 50+ mpg Honda that accelerates better, handles better, etc.
I don't understand how that's relevant to this thread. People could chose to live in studio apartments; most don't. People could chose to drive a moped; most don't. Most car salesmen can't tell you what the 0-60 time in a car is, because it isn't relevant and unless selling a Corvette, wouldn't come up. People don't care that much about the acceleration of a car, unless its so slow it makes them nervous.

You asked if people would regret buying SUV's when gas goes up. Most people buying SUV's are paying for increased space, comfort and seating position, and that's only if you use the faulty benchmark of a compact. The concessions made to MPG's aren't the same that they were in 2002.

Quote:
And you obviously forgot purchase price. Your average RAV4 probably goes for $26-27k whereas your average Corolla probably goes for $20k. At those price points, a Prius vs RAV4 may be a better comparison...RAV4 gets 25 mpg whereas the Prius gets 52mpg.
YOu insist on an erroneous comparison; you routinely compare them to the subcompacts. Compacts have only rarely been a major player in the American market. The Mid size automobile, the Ford Taurus, then Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, are what is losing ground to the Crossover at the fastest pace.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
What a lot of people driving those midget cars, do not realize is that a lot other people much prefer:

1: The comfort of the available room that a mid size and large SUVs and pickups provide us.

2: The safety those mid size and large SUVs and pickups provide us, over those midget cars. They call the Mid Size and large SUVs and Pickups, the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Not dangerous to the occupants of the SUVs and Pickups, but to those little cars that run into the SUVs and Pickups.

3: The ability to carry 5 to 8 full grown adults a long distance in comfort, something those midget cars do not make it possible to do.

4: When the going gets rough, the midsize and large SUVs and Pickups come into their own, when those little midget do not.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Wrong again, You get 2.5 more inches in the back...And once again, more headroom, and a higher, more comfortable seating position. 2.5 inches is the difference between a Civic and an Accord, FYI
And of course you realize that makes the Civic’s interior as big or bigger than Accord from just a few years ago, right? Was a 2016 Accord cramped? Point being that the Civic’s seating area is comparable to a CRV which is considered very spacious...RAV4, etc. It’s no cracker box inside like some want to believe.

Quote:
That's not correct, not at all. What I believe you meant to say is, "The extra cargo room does you no good if what you want to carry is long." So, if your goal is carrying a bunch of 2x4x12 pieces of wood, I guess you're our of luck in a CRV. But the fact remains, that you can carry a lot more in a CRV.
For those rare instances where you really need to carry something, why not just buy a utility trailer (I have carried 2x12s inside the Prius though). I can carry plywood, drywall, furniture or anything in between with mine. Of course I’m not saying everyone should do that but I just can’t see there being a huge swath of people that are ok with a CRV’s cargo area, but limited by something like a Prius or Civic hatch.

Quote:
I have as well in mine. Utility Trailer? Because everyone wants to have a trailer hitch installed, drag one of those out (assuming they have room to store it,) hook it up, maneuver it, and un hook, re store the thing. Get real.
But everyone IS willing to drive an SUV 365 days a year that doesn’t handle as well, accelerate as well, harder to maneuver/Park, consumes more fuel and requires them to pay $6-7k more to own. Yeah, that little folding trailer is such a burden.

Quote:
All the same, you're talking about a .6 second difference in acceleration. Nobody would notice that unless they were on a drag strip.
2 inches of backseat room is huge but 0.6 seconds to 60 isn’t? Are you serious right now?

Quote:
I don't understand how that's relevant to this thread. People could chose to live in studio apartments; most don't. People could chose to drive a moped; most don't. Most car salesmen can't tell you what the 0-60 time in a car is, because it isn't relevant and unless selling a Corvette, wouldn't come up. People don't care that much about the acceleration of a car, unless its so slow it makes them nervous.
If people don’t care about performance than why have vehicles continuously performed better for ohhh, the last 30+ years?

Quote:
You asked if people would regret buying SUV's when gas goes up. Most people buying SUV's are paying for increased space, comfort and seating position, and that's only if you use the faulty benchmark of a compact. The concessions made to MPG's aren't the same that they were in 2002.
There’s an increased purchase price of $6-7k. There’s decreased gas mileage. Slower acceleration, decreased handling ability and more difficult maneuverability. Sure there’s plenty of people that have the money management skills to never regret such a trivial matter, but as we learned during the last downturn, there’s plenty of people who overbuy and overextend themselves. This incremental lifestyle creep during good times can come back to bite them and leave them getting back to basics and buying for needs instead of relatively petty things like having the ability to stack a few extra bags of mulch in their cargo area.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:24 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,926,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What a lot of people driving those midget cars, do not realize is that a lot other people much prefer:

1: The comfort of the available room that a mid size and large SUVs and pickups provide us.

2: The safety those mid size and large SUVs and pickups provide us, over those midget cars. They call the Mid Size and large SUVs and Pickups, the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Not dangerous to the occupants of the SUVs and Pickups, but to those little cars that run into the SUVs and Pickups.

3: The ability to carry 5 to 8 full grown adults a long distance in comfort, something those midget cars do not make it possible to do.

4: When the going gets rough, the midsize and large SUVs and Pickups come into their own, when those little midget do not.
I’m sure some people had the same reasoning in 2009 or so when you couldn’t give away SUVs. Given an unlimited supply of money perhaps we would all be driving Suburban sized vehicles, but when times are hard people often analyze their choices and get back to needs over wants.

And AGAIN, that doesn’t mean no one on Earth needs an SUV. Don’t take any discussion on car vs SUV as an insult to automobile perfect...the SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive