Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 04:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would generally agree but you really need to define your "truck." Is it a dually with a stiff ride, broken AC, diesel fumes wafting through the interior while some loose 2x4s and junk rolls around in the bed or is it a bone stock 1/2 ton with AC seats riding on wide 20's just cruising down the highway. Both are trucks but 2 way different experiences.
True enough, however, even your "bone stock 1/2 ton" with its higher center-of-gravity can never ever compare to a car when it comes to agility and handling.

Some things can be compensated for but the laws of physics are not one.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,834,374 times
Still arguing that 7000+ lb trucks are sporty?

Old 08-22-2018, 07:14 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,590,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
IMHO, they SUCK because they handle like crap compared to a car.
They're NOT a car.... For everyday normal driving where one isn't taking spirited laps around the roundabouts there is no noticeable difference. If you intend to autocross on your way to work then no.... a truck won't easily do that. But let's be honest... how many people drive to work like they're in a rallycross race? Probably not many.

Quote:
I've driven pickups for work and I can feel the difference in terms of their center-of-gravity compared to a car and I hate it because it feels "tippy" to me.

If you're alright with it, then more power to you.

Personally, I hate it but to each his/her own.
Yes, they sit higher and as such the center of gravity is higher. If you only drove a truck on occasion then you haven't had much experience with them. I've driven trucks and SUVs on a daily basis for over a decade. I don't notice a tippy feeling because I know the limits of my vehicles and have a feel for how they drive. I guess subconsciously I adjust my driving habits because of it and don't notice any issues. I will say however, you won't drive a large SUV or truck like a Toyota Corolla because the handling characteristics are different. Not necessarily worse, but just different.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
True enough, however, even your "bone stock 1/2 ton" with its higher center-of-gravity can never ever compare to a car when it comes to agility and handling.

Just saying.

They're NOT.A.CAR. Good Lord stop trying to compare the handling characteristics to a car. They are completely different beasts.

Trucks and SUVs can be made to handle even better with some suspension upgrades, but at the end of the day it's still the same vehicle. I upgraded my shocks to Bilstein 5100s to give me a smoother ride and beefed up my steering components to give me a tighter feel. The handling was much improved but it is still a truck. Drive it as such and everything will be fine.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Still arguing that 7000+ lb trucks are sporty?
Much moreso than older trucks and SUVs, yes. You argued that diesels are slow. I showed evidence that they have improved drastically over the past decade or so. Then showed that a properly tuned diesel will flat out scare you. After that, your argument turned to tuned diesels being ticking timebombs. That isn't the case if they're built properly.

Just face it. You don't like the fact that a 9k+ tuned diesel truck (Diesel trucks are way over 7k lbs) can hang with a lot of sports cars on the road. It is what it is. Oh.... and get pretty respectable fuel mileage doing so. I average 18.5 MPG mixed driving. I've seen as high as 20mpg on long interstate trips.

Let it go already. You don't have to like them, but trying to chastise an entire section of the population who actually enjoy and use them.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,733 times
Quote:

Just saying.

If you're not trying to road race on your way to work you won't have a noticeable difference in a modern truck or SUV. I drive the same twisty backroads in my sports car, commuter car, and SUV. If I'm not going over the speed limit, they handle on par with each other. Can the sports car go much faster, safely? Yes, but for real people in lawful situations, it's. just. not. an. issue. And in a sport SUV, like a Range Rover Sport, BMW X5M or X6M, Porsche Cayenne or Macan, then the limits are much higher than the law allows, and on par with their sport sedans as track tests have shown.

https://content.autotrader.com/conte...%20M%20(1).jpg

Old 08-22-2018, 02:15 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Much moreso than older trucks and SUVs, yes. You argued that diesels are slow. I showed evidence that they have improved drastically over the past decade or so. Then showed that a properly tuned diesel will flat out scare you. After that, your argument turned to tuned diesels being ticking timebombs. That isn't the case if they're built properly.

Just face it. You don't like the fact that a 9k+ tuned diesel truck (Diesel trucks are way over 7k lbs) can hang with a lot of sports cars on the road. It is what it is. Oh.... and get pretty respectable fuel mileage doing so. I average 18.5 MPG mixed driving. I've seen as high as 20mpg on long interstate trips.

Let it go already. You don't have to like them, but trying to chastise an entire section of the population who actually enjoy and use them.
1) A diesel truck is not going to "hang with a lot of sports cars on the road". Are you high?

2) If you consider "18.5 mpg mixed driving" and "20 mpg on long interstate trips" as being "pretty respectable fuel mileage", then I guess you have pretty low expectations concerning mileage.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,834,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

Just stop.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
1) A diesel truck is not going to "hang with a lot of sports cars on the road". Are you high?
Goes to show how little you know about current diesel technology. Do some research and report back.

Quote:
2) If you consider "18.5 mpg mixed driving" and "20 mpg on long interstate trips" as being "pretty respectable fuel mileage", then I guess you have pretty low expectations concerning mileage.

For a 9.5k lb + truck, 18.5 mpg is extraordinary. Most diesel trucks now see 12-14 mpg. A lot of V8 gas burner 1/2 tons will see 12-15 mpg. So yes, that's pretty respectable mileage.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Just stop.
Nothing left to dispute, right? Facts are facts. Sorry if the real facts don't agree with alternate facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive