Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I wonder if car makers have to raise the price of their cars will they put pressure on their parts suppliers? There are companies around the world that build transmissions and engines for the global market. Will there be a ripple throughout the industry to cut corners?
Just speculating but I would guess this:
1) pass the cost to customers and see if they care. I know Jeep raised their prices on the new Wrangler and people bought even more of them. Price is determined by what people are willing to pay, not how much it cost to build the car.
2) drop the price and deal take the hit on margins as long as what’s left is still
positive.
3) meep the same price and go after suppliers that make their parts in the US to avoid the tariff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 02:25 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
That’s not entirely true. Ford Europe makes cars excluvily for the European market. The Mustang is actually a bit of a fluke. Ford made the eco boost and IRS suspension to be competitive in Europe, and the most popular trim level is actually the fuel thirsty V8. It’s “Americaness” is actually what people are going for. Sorta like Mini Cooper is to here.
Exactly my point.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Why do countries even have tariffs anyway? Isn’t trump just leveling the playing field? Maybe his tactics will make other nations eliminate their tariffs entirely because as of now the rest of the world is playing by their rules.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:30 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
You want somebody to reject a bunch of nonsense you fabricated?
Everything I stated is true, so just what "nonsense" are you referring to, true believer?

Trump's racism, misogynism, ignorance, or his general boorish behavior.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Everything I stated is true, so just what "nonsense" are you referring to, true believer?

Trump's racism, misogynism, ignorance, or his general boorish behavior.
He’s not PC, but he’s not racist, misogynistic nor ignorant. That’s just nonsense you’re hearing in your echo chamber. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with the boorish behavior. I don’t care either way as long as things that need to get done get done. At some point you’re going to have decide between having a role model and getting things done. The reason we have the problems we have now is because everybody else sucked at their job. If they were good at their jobs Trump wouldn’t have been elected.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:18 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
How can autos get anymore expensive? The average SUV is $40,000. I was interested in replacing my old truck which was top of the line in 02 and today it is pushing $70,000! I could almost buy a house that will appreciate for that kind of money.

It is crazy.

Trump wants to bring manufacturing back to America which is noble but that is a tall order in this global economy and in a way it goes against capitalism. If you can buy a part for your car and the quality is just as good why would you pay anymore than you have to. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands of parts that the auto manufacturers use and it would cost them millions to be able to give themselves that "made in America" pat on the back.

The last I knew most Toyotas were made in the states but I'm sure the parts are sourced elsewhere.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
He’s not PC, but he’s not racist, misogynistic nor ignorant. That’s just nonsense you’re hearing in your echo chamber. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with the boorish behavior. I don’t care either way as long as things that need to get done get done. At some point you’re going to have decide between having a role model and getting things done. The reason we have the problems we have now is because everybody else sucked at their job. If they were good at their jobs Trump wouldn’t have been elected.

Well said. Trump is certainly not PC and he tells it like he sees it but boy he sure can put his foot in his mouth.

America has some real problems that many are unwilling to admit to and thankfully enough people saw Trump as a possible solution and voted him in to give him a chance. I think at the end of his term(s) history will show that just like Obama Trump did some good things for America and some not so good.

Now if only the Left would get off his back and let him get to work.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
1) If you really believe that, then you must be a FOX News viewer, choose to be uninformed, are delusional, or some combination of the three.

2) With the exception of Nixon, every president after Hoover had managed to be both a role model and get things done until Trump.

3) If the Russians had not interfered with the 2016 election, then we would have a president elected by the American people and that president would not be Trump.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well said. Trump is certainly not PC and he tells it like he sees it but boy he sure can put his foot in his mouth.

America has some real problems that many are unwilling to admit to and thankfully enough people saw Trump as a possible solution and voted him in to give him a chance. I think at the end of his term(s) history will show that just like Obama Trump did some good things for America and some not so good.

Now if only the Left would get off his back and let him get to work.
Now if only Trump would get off the backs of aliens and their children who are trying to apply for asylum.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
1) If you really believe that, then you must be a FOX News viewer, choose to be uninformed, are delusional, or some combination of the three.

2) With the exception of Nixon, every president after Hoover had managed to be both a role model and get things done until Trump.

3) If the Russians had not interfered with the 2016 election, then we would have a president elected by the American people and that president would not be Trump.
1) that’s your echo chamber again. I don’t really watch or even like Fox News. I try to read a cross section of news sources, including CNN and Fox just to see what the other side thinks. I’m not containmimated by being upset with the election results and I’m completely comfortable with the fact the whole country doesn’t think like me. I’m more informed than you are. You sound bitter so what you say cannot be taken seriously.

2) Nixon actually got a lot done. He started the EPA and ended the Vietnam War. Other were role models but we’ve slowly eroded our middle class, created huge trade deficits, got us involved with foreign wars we had no need to be apart of, and let our infrastructure slide, and allowed over 10 million illegal people to live in the country, and apparently created divisive hostility. Not sure how you can say that’s the hallmark of good leadership direction.

3) Wrong again. That thought might make you feel better, but Hiliary lost because she abandoned her key demographics. The Russians didn’t tell her not to compaign in key electoral states, declare a war on coal, or tell them manufacturing is not coming back. The Democratic Party’s power has been eroding for years from the ground up. Most states and localities are now Republican controlled and Obama lost both House and Senate. So, no, the Russians didn’t come out of left field and change what has been in the making for over a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive