Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Lots of newer cars with lifetime fill and no dipstick for the trans. Like my car. And a car that had it's engine oil changed a thousand miles ago might have dark il already, but still be good for another 4000 miles or more, So just looking at it and looking for clean and clear is faulty logic.
Some have a lifetime of purchasing used cars.

Some know little.

There is always an obtuse response to clear concise advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
It is going to cost about $3.50 off the price of the car. Why do you ask?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:31 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Some know little.

I've owned over 130 cars in the last 40 years from most major manufacturers. That means a lot of purchasing. Not including the ones I've helped friends and family purchase.

Quote:

I gave clear advice. YOU gave advice that is trivial at best and unhelpful in many cases.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM

6,593 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is going to cost about $3.50 off the price of the car. Why do you ask?
Haha! It was just not anything I had considered before. I have been changing my own oil but I haven't been keeping receipts or really documenting it. I just change it when the computer says the life is between 0 and 40%. I'd be completely fine buying a car from someone else who did this, but if you're at a used car lot you really don't know if it was maintained unless it's on the car fax or you have some mechanic's knowledge.

I could see where people would view regular "professional" oil changes as a positive. I know I'd rather see a history of a dozen on time oil changes than a mystery, even if they took place a quick lube place.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:10 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,887,466 times
Quote:
Most would be surprised at how stupid people are when selling a used car.

The first thing that I check is the oil. If it is not clear clean and at top - I don't buy the car.
The second thing I check is the automatic transmission fluid. If it is not pink (there is also clear) and at top - I don't buy car.

If you were alive and buying cars when Arco Graphite oil was available, you would have had a tough time. That stuff was black when it came out of the can! I used it in a Datsun 1600 station wagon back then. it was a great oil. It even improved the fuel economy. Graphite is slippery stuff. The colloidal graphite was fine enough that it went through the filter no problem.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:31 PM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
I've always DIYed my own oilchanges. Quicker And easier than sitting at the dealer. I always saved receipts but not once did anyone ever question or ask for them. I'm not worried about it.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM

18,754 posts, read 27,181,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm in the market for a used car and have noticed how many places are presenting the CarFax report. The cars that were taken into a lube shop on a regular schedule are appealing because you know the oil got changed on time, but just because it wasn't in a lube shop doesn't mean the oil wasn't changed -- it's one of the most common DIY jobs for a car. But you can't really prove that you changed your own oil on a regular basis.

So my question is, how much does doing your own oil change affect the value of the car? Does it outweigh the savings?

Never did. I sold all of my cars on craigslist or, back in time, through a paper. I always do my own maintenance. After 2 minutes of conversation with me, any buyer figures I know my car like back of my hand and develops trust.
Never had an issue.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM

400 posts, read 566,282 times
Quote:

Some know little.

I'm with Tiffer on this one. Brand new fluids mean little to me. They may mean the individual is obsessive about maintenance. Or....they changed it just before selling it to hide something. Or...this was the first fluid change this vehicle ever had. All three are equally likely scenarios.

I don't think they are a good or bad sign. New fluids in themselves tell you nothing about the shape of the car.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:08 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,383,623 times
If you are looking for oil changes that show up on CarFax reports, either visit your dealer or I also know Valvoline stations report the oil changes.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:32 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,190,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Lots of newer cars with lifetime fill and no dipstick for the trans. Like my car. And a car that had it's engine oil changed a thousand miles ago might have dark il already, but still be good for another 4000 miles or more, So just looking at it and looking for clean and clear is faulty logic.
I have to agree with Tiffer again here. Many new cars have "lifetime fluids," even though I'd still change the transmission fluid at 60K miles and the coolant at 100K. Hell, I've been driving for 24 years and just bought my first car that uses ATF. Engine oil is pretty clear from a fresh container (usually a transparent amber color), but after a few cycles through the engine it's pretty dark already....especially in a diesel!

I would be more concerned with improper oil levels, sludge/soot build ups, unexpected noises, and whatever an oil analysis report would state. Dark colored engine oil is not a very good indicator for much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive