Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM

384 posts, read 734,385 times

Advertisements

Tow it to a local mechanic and have them diagnose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I don't understand why industry standards allow this to happen. How hard could it be to make battery posts a different size, so it would be impossible to attach the wrong connector end to the wrong post?

It's like mic inputs and speaker outputs being exactly the same.
Well because it’s a battery post. So simply touching them will smoke a ECU or BCM. Even if they were different sizes and actually the top posts (on batteries with top posts) are different sizes. However that doesn’t protect against polarity reversal IF the cables are long enough. To do what you want would add markups in costs. And there is only so much room under the hood.

However what you are suggesting can be done and on some cars it’s practically impossible to cross cables polarity. That would be easier than redesigning the battery connections. On my wife’s Infiniti there is absolutely no way to cross the battery cables as they are not long enough to cross positions. And it uses top posts. There is only enough slack in the cable to get them over the posts. Turning the battery around places the posts too far away from the cables. There is literally no way to cross the cables. All the manufacturers need to do is secure the cables where they can only reach their respective battery post
Another way to do it is by making the battery cables a quick connect plug in where it only fits one way. It will add to the cost and the physical size of the battery. Quite a bit.

I guess for the uninitiated what I would say to do is make case where the positive terminal is located a big round red circle around the post. This way you know it’s positie. I guess the embossed + isn’t enough

Old 07-08-2018, 02:02 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well because it’s a battery post. So simply touching them will smoke a ECU or BCM. Even if they were different sizes and actually the top posts (on batteries with top posts) are different sizes. However that doesn’t protect against polarity reversal IF the cables are long enough. To do what you want would add markups in costs. And there is only so much room under the hood.

However what you are suggesting can be done and on some cars it’s practically impossible to cross cables polarity. That would be easier than redesigning the battery connections. On my wife’s Infiniti there is absolutely no way to cross the battery cables as they are not long enough to cross positions. And it uses top posts. There is only enough slack in the cable to get them over the posts. Turning the battery around places the posts too far away from the cables. There is literally no way to cross the cables. All the manufacturers need to do is secure the cables where they can only reach their respective battery post
Another way to do it is by making the battery cables a quick connect plug in where it only fits one way. It will add to the cost and the physical size of the battery. Quite a bit.

I guess for the uninitiated what I would say to do is make case where the positive terminal is located a big round red circle around the post. This way you know it’s positie. I guess the embossed + isn’t enough
This would only be a problem once you've tried to connect the second cable. Hopefully, trying to attach the first and noticing that the cable end is far too big - or far too small would alert the installer they are about to commit automotive harakiri.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 368 times
My dads battery died whilst charging my mums flat battery with jump lead. It’s sparked and smoked and now it’s totally dead. Mums car charged fine now (by neighbour) but dads is left dead. Key stuck in the ignition and nothing will work. Boot won’t open and it’s dead. What best thing to do with it? Dad wants to use my car to try charging his but it’s probably weak as hardly driven in lockdown. I have a car battery charger (connect to mains not bother car) is that best to try? Thanks x

Old 05-15-2020, 10:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa5521 View Post
My dads battery died whilst charging my mums flat battery with jump lead. It’s sparked and smoked and now it’s totally dead. Mums car charged fine now (by neighbour) but dads is left dead. Key stuck in the ignition and nothing will work. Boot won’t open and it’s dead. What best thing to do with it? Dad wants to use my car to try charging his but it’s probably weak as hardly driven in lockdown. I have a car battery charger (connect to mains not bother car) is that best to try? Thanks x
Option 1
Try charging the battery. REMOVE the battery cables and charge the battery without having it connected to the car.

Option 2
Buy new battery

Old 05-15-2020, 11:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa5521 View Post
Maybe try opening the bonnet instead of the boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive