Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Yeah, victimized by another one of those "drive it until the wheels fall off" owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
MIght try READING the article....It was a semi trailer....
Well, it was neither, so you guys can go back to your beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 06:29 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
I witnessed a tire coming loose once and it was due to loose lug nuts on the left side of the vehicle. A guy I worked with had this happen on the right front of his vehicle due to loose lug nuts. Many years ago, the left side of some vehicles used to have reverse thread lug nuts. I am not sure if all vehicles had reverse threads on the left side at the time though. Not sure why they changed from it.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
23 or 24 years ago I had a friend who caught one. He was a steel erector in Orange County CA who had a substantial business in Las Vegas. His solution to traveling between the two was to beat lit down I15 at 2AM.

Big heavy SUV likely doing 100 mph or so. Got hit by a full wheel off a semi. Rolled 4 or 5 times. Got off with bruises. SUV utterly demolished. They had the wheel but never found out who lost it.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Back in the 1990's I was driving a commercial set of doubles north on I-81 in Staunton VA. One of our trucks was heading South and I waved at him (I knew him, he was a friend). Five minutes later he was dead from a flying, mounted, truck tire. There was a North bound truck behind me that had just had a tire replaced at the truck stop in Fairfield VA (about fifteen minutes earlier). They never tightened the lug nuts and the driver (which was supposed to pre-trip his vehicle) did not catch the mistake. The loose mounted tire probably weighed about 250 or 300 pounds and the medium strip on I-81 has a small hill of dirt. The Northbound truck was probably doing 65 or 70 mph. It went airborne and hit my friend's driver side windshield post and proceeded to enter the cab. It split my friend in half and killed him instantly.

Several times on I-95 I saw modular home haulers lose tires. Of course they were about the same size as car tires. But, what surprised me is how much motorist ignored them - they never understood the danger they were in. I saw a few of them barely miss traffic going in the opposite direction. I think most drivers are simply not looking or anticipating that kind of hazard.

One hazard, that is more dangerous than a loose truck tire; is a loose set of tandem wheels. Many of the large trailers have sliding rear wheels and they have pins that have to be relocked. Drivers slide them to adjust the weight of their trailer. If drivers are in a hurry and do not check there is a chance the pins did not lock. If the rig goes on the road and the driver hits the brakes; all eight wheels and the two axels can go flying out from under the trailer. No car or pickup would survive the collision with that massive steel and rubber. I saw one little sports car traveling at 80 mph in NM on I-40 hit one. There was not too many large pieces of the sportscar left and the driver did not stand a chance. In one year alone I spotted five sets of tandems that came loose on the highway (some years I do not see any). But it is a real danger and a very good reason not to tailgate large trucks!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Many years ago, the left side of some vehicles used to have reverse thread lug nuts. I am not sure if all vehicles had reverse threads on the left side at the time though. Not sure why they changed from it.
That was pretty much exclusively a Mopar thing from maybe 1960 to the early 1970s. The idea was that nuts would be self-retaining, if not self-tightening. (It was taken, I think, from the big single-nut spinner wheels used in racing; I have a car with those.) Not sure if it saved more problems than it created, since it meant double the number of parts and was forever confusing mechanics or getting screwed up by amateurs who didn't know the difference.

I do see a lot of commercial trucks with a thin stripe of paint across the nut and stud-end, so you can tell at a glance if any have loosened. Time-consuming extra step, though.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Owning and driving a vehicle is a huge responsibility.

I just drove 1100 miles in about 3 days...........checked my lugnuts and overall condition of the vehicle before leaving and once into the trip. The trip convinced me that, for various reasons, most people driving are just poor overall drivers......scary, clueless and guided by emotions as opposed to logic, reason and good driving technique.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
There's a good Youtube video of mishaps with tires, one shows a guy pumping gas when a tire comes barreling up and knocks him down. Others show a tire bouncing and going airborne and then it hits the windshield of the dash cam car.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
I had that happen once. I was riding a bicycle on the path next to the highway (Jersey barrier between). I hear a loud BANG, look over, there's a bus, and one tire about 20' in the air floating towards me. I jumped off the bike and the tire landed right where I was. It all happened in slow motion, but I think I could have been seriously injured.

Super scary.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That was pretty much exclusively a Mopar thing from maybe 1960 to the early 1970s. The idea was that nuts would be self-retaining, if not self-tightening...
International also employed this approach. Didn't really work though, as a friend of mine had one of his front tires come off his Scout at an intersection stop in Seattle back in the 80's. Tire rolled through and ran into another car.

No damage, no big deal was made of it like there would be, no doubt, today.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
While sad unless something turns up there isn't any sort of criminal charge to book the guy on. Even if local DA does try to come up with something doubt if a court would convict, and or said conviction would withstand appeal.

Now OTOH civil action by the deceased man's family or estate is another matter. If the guy was a family man with wife and kids, then all bets are off.
What could they do in Civil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive