Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Theoretically you should never have to charge at work, nor need a 200 mile battery, but people want those things anyway. Just buy a Volt and call it a day. No parking lots have to have be rewired.

I would rather the job just pay more or use that money for another vacation day or something rather than offering a couple bucks in free charging.
That sounds like something a startup would do. "you have to work the next 10 Saturdays for free, but help yourself to a free recharge for your EV and free Redbull!".
Waiting for the 2019 Volt. Will test drive it again and if we fit okay, we will look into buying one,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Waiting for the 2019 Volt. Will test drive it again and if we fit okay, we will look into buying one,
I just looked it up. Apparently they’re putting Cadillac’s digital rear view mirror in it. That’ll be cool.
I can’t find any downside to this car over a pure EV.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Seems like replaceable batteries would be faster. You drop the old one in the charger, and drive off with one fully charged. Like blue rhino propane tanks.
About every company that’s tried that has either gone out of business or canceled the project.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We live in SoCal, and I'm aware that EVs make more sense here than pretty much everywhere else. As the technology and infrastructure develops, hopefully it'll make sense in more and more places for more and more people.

Regarding at-work chargers, different people have different situations. For some situations (such as ours) at-work chargers have become less important, so you shouldn't need to provide at-work charging for every employee. For other people (living in apartments/shorter range vehicles/longer commutes) adding more chargers will help as/until longer range vehicles get cheaper and other infrastructure gets built out.
But why worry about building infrastructure when one could just buy a plug-in hybrid like the Volt?
I’ve never understood the obsession with battery electric vehicles over plug in hybrids. Instead of reworking the world’s entire transportation and electrical infrastructure, just use the existing technology and infrastructure we already have.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I just looked it up. Apparently they’re putting Cadillac’s digital rear view mirror in it. That’ll be cool.
I can’t find any downside to this car over a pure EV.
Power drivers seat and faster charging as well.

The mechanical seat proved problematic. My wife is short and couldn't see out very well. We are hoping the power seat will fix that.

Our friends pretty much never put gas in unless they are driving to Reno or other far places. Every so often he will let the battery go down and use all the gas up so he can "freshen" it.

I still wander over to Toyota and gawk at the hybrid Avalon.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
But why worry about building infrastructure when one could just buy a plug-in hybrid like the Volt?
I’ve never understood the obsession with battery electric vehicles over plug in hybrids. Instead of reworking the world’s entire transportation and electrical infrastructure, just use the existing technology and infrastructure we already have.
I can only speak for our own motivations. I like PHEVs, but we would need a PHEV with an EV-only range of at least 80-100 miles to approach the convenience we currently receive from the Model 3 (commute + comfortable cushion without using any gas).

Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I can only speak for our own motivations. I like PHEVs, but we would need a PHEV with an EV-only range of at least 80-100 miles to approach the convenience we currently receive from the Model 3 (commute + comfortable cushion without using any gas).
Do you commute more than 80 miles? Otherwise that’s a lot of money to spend to just skip a gas station from time to time. Is something wrong with the gas stations over there?

Old 07-15-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Do you commute more than 80 miles? Otherwise that’s a lot of money to spend to just skip a gas station from time to time. Is something wrong with the gas stations over there?
Only speaking for ourselves, it’s a convenience we’re willing and able to pay for.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Only speaking for ourselves, it’s a convenience we’re willing and able to pay for.
To Hell with common sense. Right?

Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
To Hell with common sense. Right?
If you're looking to argue about the value that people place on personal preferences, there are a few threads where people go back and forth on arguments like why anyone would spend $50k on any car. These discussions go nowhere. Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive