Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:23 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
OP appears to be jealous eh?
Don't hate the player
That's my impression too. What's wrong with having an extra gig on the site? We don't know his reasons but we speculate in an ugly, negative way. Why we even care what he is driving...
He needs the extra income and he is working for it. .
Beats all those with custom Cadillacs and Lincolns who live on welfare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 03:13 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Most people equate ANY Mercedes with being high dollar, even older ones. Its kind of crazy, but it just shows how much that brand is recognized.

There is a guy around here that drives a red SL500 convertible, people oh and ah over that car all the time, but in reality, its probably only worth a few grand now.
Just goes to show how wretched that depreciation is.
The base cost isn't the problem, its keeping up with all the maintenance requirements and dumping 91 octane in it just to deliver pizzas. On a depreciation and maintenance basis, he's probably barely breaking even on that pizza delivery job.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
People vastly overestimated the expenses of used luxury cars and underestimate the power of good credit.

Anyone with good credit and a minimal wage job can finance a Mercedes. A pizza boy or burger flipper in a luxury car is not uncommon as we think it is.
A saw an ad for new C-classes claiming $299 a month leases. That would be cheaper than payments I had on cars 20 years ago.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 AM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
aw jeeze jeeze freakin' Louise!!!!! why does it matter??????????????????????????????? do we have to judge everyone on the planet, even delivery people fer criminee sakes!!!!

Old 07-14-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
aw jeeze jeeze freakin' Louise!!!!! why does it matter??????????????????????????????? do we have to judge everyone on the planet, even delivery people fer criminee sakes!!!!
Cars are like clothes. We judge people by them all the time.
If a guy shows up to give an estimate to paint your house and he's in a brand new Mercedes, he charges too much.
If you hire a lawyer to get you off the hook for a murder case and he drives a busted old Camry, he sucks and you need to find another one.
If somebody shows up at the welfare office in a Ferrari, the system is obviously broken.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 AM

628 posts, read 839,990 times
A co worker I know at Mcdonalds drive a Bentley car but is not a manager but the cashier

Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
I think that's awesome.

Maybe it's just Side money for him or her.

Show me the law that says the pizza delivery car has to be some beat up old Honda or Nissan or small Chevy or something like that..

Old 07-14-2018, 06:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The base cost isn't the problem, its keeping up with all the maintenance requirements and dumping 91 octane in it just to deliver pizzas. On a depreciation and maintenance basis, he's probably barely breaking even on that pizza delivery job.

With the power of youtube and a Tiny smidge of self confidence though.... there need not be huge maintenance. I owned a Porsche at one time on an under $20k/year job, bought it non-running (but cosmetically nice) and got it running for under $500. I don't think I dumped more than $1k into maintenance on that car over 5 years, not including tires (I was doing track events). This was before youtube too.

As for fuel, that car will run just fine on anything that's put into it. The beauty of closed-loop EFI. Giving up some power and fuel economy (smarter to run premium for the economy in a car designed for premium), but it's not THAT big of a deal.

BTW, the depreciation on a decade old MB is essentially done.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
A co worker I know at Mcdonalds drive a Bentley car but is not a manager but the cashier
Bentleys are a little different, they do not depreciate like other cars, I find it hard to believe a cashier at McDs could afford even an older Bentley.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Bentleys are a little different, they do not depreciate like other cars, I find it hard to believe a cashier at McDs could afford even an older Bentley.
Probably a family car given to them or something similar to that. There’s a guy I follow on YouTube who has a sponsorship/job with autotrader. He bought cheapest Bentley in country on autotrader for $27k. It never ran right and was basically salvaged out of Moscow, but had clean carfax and odometer had been rolled back in Russia He luckily sold it for maybe $14k after dumping lots of money into it, plus everything needed to be replaced. Almost had to sell it for scrap value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive