Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Why are there so many cranky f... err... people on this automotive forum? Man, I'm getting annoyed. "Not one stops at stop signs" "people pull away from red lights to slow"
"I can't believe people sleep when I drive" "why do people constantly brake?" "turn signal right, turn left"
What do you care what other people do? Does it affect you? Oh, it does because you insist on driving in the left hand, or as some call it the high speed, lane.
Get over it, stop worrying about every one else. This will lead to much less road rage, which IS a real problem in society...
I DO understand venmting but maybe if you just let this stuff roll off your back... you'd be a LOT happier.

My motto: Water off a ducks back. Think of that next time some random stranger on the highway ruins YOUR ENTIRE DAY.
I agree with you to a degree, but people driving slow in the fast lane are not allowing you to "stop worrying about everyone else" because they are getting in your way and dictating how fast you can go. Meanwhile they can instead drive in one of the slower lanes, so that they can drive as slow as they want and the fast people can drive as fast as they want. Then people can truly worry more about themselves than the other drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Stay with the flow of traffic is the answer to this thread. Some people aren't skilled enough driving to do 80 in a 55. Some people drive with fear and might not even make it to 55 in a 55. Some can safely do 80 in a 55. The issue is the mix of all of these different driver types and not understanding how to safely drive on a limited access road. Slow cars keep right. Fast cars keep left. Simple.

People complaining about speeders need to get over it quite honestly - most roads aren't even signed up to the 85th percentile speed. Many are signed for revenue generation, particularly in certain states (hello Virginia!). It's not up to you to decide how fast everyone else goes. Just drive with the flow of traffic - if you're going significantly faster or slower than it, you are a problem!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Except that it's been proven that an accident at a high rate of speed is more likely to have fatalities than one at a lower speed. Those pesky, pesky, PESKY laws of physics that don't care how special you think you are or how much you NEED to speed in order to prove it.
The US highway fatality rate went down when the 55 limit was abolished in the mid-1990s.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, but it's in kilometers and I have to look at the tiny numbers on my speedometer to realize I am way over the Maximum.

But, if I do the speed limit on the 401, conscious of my Jersey plates, the others are whizzing past me, so I try to keep up.
The speed limit in Alberta is 120 km/hr (74mph).

Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
It's not the speed limit that dictates whether or not one is a lousy driver. A lousy driver is one who insists that THEIR (in their own mind) capabilities/vehicle are just awesome and should be what dictates the speed limit (or the speed that they, personally, are allowed to drive on roads they share with others) rather than those of all of the people and vehicles that they are sharing those roads with. Period. It is a self-centered viewpoint of entitlement based on nothing more perceptive or paying of attention than "I wanna". It also usually (not always, but 90% of the time) means that they are nowhere near the quality of driver on the roads that they are in their own minds.
LOL.

Why don't you just keep to the slow lane and let those cRaZy speed demons have at it. No use getting all worked up over it

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
17 pages in and no one has recognized the fundamental problem in the United States: instead of trying to produce better drivers, we pursue the policy of trying to design roads and traffic signs in such a way that even the most incompetent driver cannot hurt someone or himself. It can't be done. Bad drivers will hurt people if you set the speed limit to 15 mph and arrange the roads into three-car wide lane, lined with styrofoam bumper pads.

We turned driving into a right. Do you know anyone who pursued a driver's license who didn't get one in the end? Our standards stink. Our driver's ed instruction stinks.

We won't change those things because that's the tougher thing to do rather than manipulating speed limits, creating more road furniture, installing green arrows everywhere and so forth.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
LOL.

Why don't you just keep to the slow lane and let those cRaZy speed demons have at it. No use getting all worked up over it
I have long held a hypothesis that people like her are the same ones who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store or walk three abreast across the bike trail.

We're all living in their world.

In all my years of driving, not once have I ever been bothered by someone going faster than me and I marvel at the people who do get upset about that. As Brock Yates wrote years ago in Car & Driver: "My number one job on the road is to stay out of the way of other people." It's bliss when you drive somewhere like that and, shockingly, it's safer. Conversely, it's hell when you have to share the road with self-appointed road nannies like Horse Lady.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The speed limit in Alberta is 120 km/hr (74mph).
Gosh, people must be dying left and right up there. "Blood flows red on the highway!"

Old 07-18-2018, 10:45 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I have long held a hypothesis that people like her are the same ones who leave their carts in the middle of the aisle in the grocery store or walk three abreast across the bike trail.

We're all living in their world.

In all my years of driving, not once have I ever been bothered by someone going faster than me and I marvel at the people who do get upset about that. As Brock Yates wrote years ago in Car & Driver: "My number one job on the road is to stay out of the way of other people." It's bliss when you drive somewhere like that and, shockingly, it's safer. Conversely, it's hell when you have to share the road with self-appointed road nannies like Horse Lady.
Yes, I don't get it either. When I see someone coming up fast behind me, I don't take it upon myself to try to teach them a lesson, I just move over and let him by.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Except that it's been proven that an accident at a high rate of speed is more likely to have fatalities than one at a lower speed. Those pesky, pesky, PESKY laws of physics that don't care how special you think you are or how much you NEED to speed in order to prove it.
Then why don't we reduce the speed limit to 35 mph? Why do you want to sacrifice lives for a measly 20 mph?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive