Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In other words, you will play traffic cop while complaining loudly that they are doing the same.
I'm just not going to put up with your control freak nonsense.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 07-23-2018 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:58 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
For those advocating going with the flow of traffic as the safest way to drive if the traffic is driving in excess of the speed limit, how many of you happily go with the flow if the flow is the speed limit or lower? Or do you fume and fret and try to jockey for a position more "up front" when this happens?
While I generally favor higher limits you raise an extremely good point. I repped you for that.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Are you saying that if the flow of traffic is below the speed limit that you will NOT go with the flow if you can possibly avoid it? Or what? That would put paid pretty quickly to the argument that going with the flow is the safest and correct thing to do and therefore speeding is justified.
Thank you.

I think you are making an effort, yes, to twist my words, or nit-pick, Horse woman. If the flow of traffic is less than the speed limit (which, as mentioned, almost never happens) then it's not a good idea to be the fastest car on the road... the "lead" car, as you say.

The "lead" car attracts the most attention, it is implied they want to be the most over-the-limit speeder based just on car position.

Speeding IS justified, I don't care who you are, we can have it out on that, cars aren't horses, I also love horses by the way. One tap: Gallop. Two taps (to their side, when mounted Full run. Pull back on reigns: "Whoaaaa" slow up.

Anything else you would like to know?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Those signs ARE outdated because avg cars today have 2x+ the HP of cars in the 50s whhen 55mph seems very fast and suspensions could barely keep cars planted past 70mph. My minivan can outhandle muscle cars from the 60s and have the similar HP. That's just for getting groceries. Newer minivans now have 300HP and hit 0-60 in less than 7s secs.

Ever seen signs on an exit that says 15mph? Yet never seen a single car obey that sign.
Again, it's not the signs that are outdated, but the LAWS that specify what the signs should say.

If you feel that these speed laws are incorrect due to the improvement in vehicle suspension, then you need to petition your lawmaker/legislature.

This sign that you see on an off-ramp is an ADVISORY speed limit only:

Those ramp speed signs, black numerals on a yellow field, are advisory only. They have no force of law. The only regulatory speed signs are the black-on-white speed limits posted on the roadway itself.

In other words, if you take a ramp on two wheels, a police officer can ticket you for reckless driving, but if a ramp is posted at 35 mph and you take it at 45 without creating a danger to yourself or others, you can't be ticketed for speeding.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:21 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Also there is no minivan similar in horsepower if equally as quick as a Superbee or similar muscle car if the 60’s/early 70’s, as an aside. No minivan does a 12 second 1/4 mile.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Actually, I think, based on my observations around here, most drivers do know that, even if they fudge it a little. There are those (and they are very vocal here on C-D) who think that either it does mean the minimum speed you are allowed to drive or that ifit means the maximum it should not/does not apply to them (but that darned old keep right law absolutely should and does apply to everyone who might keep them from breaking the speed limit law). Typical entitlement, spiced with a bit of testosterone that doesn't realize that any woman with even a smidgen of experience recognizes compensation when she sees it. You can recognize it by claims that the drivers who don't speed are the dangerous ones, or that speed limits are only about revenue generation (that's a big red S branded on their forehead and it's NOT for Superman, quite the opposite), or that everyone else should get out of their way and there'd be no problem (not being able to recognize and acknowledge that if they themselves, and everyone else, obeyed the speed limit there'd be no problem). Those latter people don't WANT to know that the laws of traffic and physics disagree with their self-serving premise, and nothing on earth is going to convince them otherwise because, "But, I WANNA!"
LOL @ S-heads!

And totally agree. Every time one of these threads comes up, it is soon inundated with the reek of too much testosterone. The number of people out there who insist that people driving the speed limit are the ones causing high-speed wrecks is just ridiculous.

They know what a speed limit means. They just don't care. They all think they are Mario Andretti and the rest of us shouldn't be allowed to drive if we're not willing to go 200 mph on a public freeway.

Recently I was passed on the highway by a line of motorcyclist who had to be doing over 100 mph. They were out of sight almost before I realized they were there. I've been tailgated at 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. (These are situations where I can't get over because of traffic and they drive so close to me I unconsciously speed up trying to get them off my tail). The other day some idiot cut in front of me so that I had to slam on the brakes to keep from running into him. There is nothing worse than an idiot entitled driver on the road. They are a menace to society.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I live for the day when all vehicles are equipped with speed limiters that ping road signs and automatically force you to obey the speed limits.

And no. A 55mph speed limit is NOT "outdated". It's just the speed limit for where ever its posted. Next somebody will pop off with the idea that 15 mph in school zones is outdated. Speed limits can't be outdated. It's the speed limit, not a fashion statement.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:17 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Depends, if the flow is low because of congestion, then I don't have much choice. So it's a moot point. If the flow is slow, because some wannabe speed Nazi is driving under the speed limit in the left lane, then I will be up on their ass flashing my headlights, until they get a clue and move over.
I don't need a clue. Flash your headlights until the cows come home. Doesn't bother me.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:21 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
LOL @ S-heads!

And totally agree. Every time one of these threads comes up, it is soon inundated with the reek of too much testosterone. The number of people out there who insist that people driving the speed limit are the ones causing high-speed wrecks is just ridiculous.

They know what a speed limit means. They just don't care. They all think they are Mario Andretti and the rest of us shouldn't be allowed to drive if we're not willing to go 200 mph on a public freeway.

Recently I was passed on the highway by a line of motorcyclist who had to be doing over 100 mph. They were out of sight almost before I realized they were there. I've been tailgated at 80 mph in a 65 mph zone. (These are situations where I can't get over because of traffic and they drive so close to me I unconsciously speed up trying to get them off my tail). The other day some idiot cut in front of me so that I had to slam on the brakes to keep from running into him. There is nothing worse than an idiot entitled driver on the road. They are a menace to society.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I live for the day when all vehicles are equipped with speed limiters that ping road signs and automatically force you to obey the speed limits.

And no. A 55mph speed limit is NOT "outdated". It's just the speed limit for where ever its posted. Next somebody will pop off with the idea that 15 mph in school zones is outdated. Speed limits can't be outdated. It's the speed limit, not a fashion statement.
I don't think any of us advocated for going that fast. What we have said, repeatedly, is it's safest to go with the flow of traffic, and most normally flow of traffic is 5-10 over the limit. The only place 100 or 200 is flow of traffic is the Autobahn. Can you raise the same points perhaps without exaggerating them to the point of absurdity?

Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
LOL @ S-heads!
The number of people out there who insist that people driving the speed limit are the ones causing high-speed wrecks is just ridiculous.

If you are driving the speed limit in the right lane then the person tailgating you is the problem. If you are driving the speed limit in the left lane, then you are the problem. There's room for everyone on the road, fast and slow driver alike, if we all stick to our lanes.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 AM

24,627 posts, read 9,454,674 times
The problem in my area are drivers during constructions zones, you’re suppose to slow down but it’s like they all just speed up.

I always abide by posted construction zone speed limits and like clockwork, everyone passes me up like I’m driving ms. Daisy and they’re in the right.

It’s very bizzare and I’m shocked that cops aren’t just posted there handing out tickets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive