Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 01:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Something I am unable to wrap my head around is, the continuing 70 MPH speed limits....which is crazy...absolutely crazy, and we've all driven that fast on interstates, but when it 55 people do 65 and when its 70 people do 80 and more? Why? When you know full well, if you crash someone's going to be dead?

These arse holes who do these so called studies and then raise the speed limits all the time, are they nuts? I mean seriously? How fast does one really need to go? So so many people are killed every month and yet, they refuse to change it....it's like we're dumb robots, walking around in a daze....oh yeah, lets raise the speed limit to 75? Geeze Louise....are they nuts?

And no one says a word?

Because people AREN'T getting killed like crazy on interstates at elevated speeds as you seem to think. They are actually quite safe. MOST accidents occur at low speeds, not high speeds.

Fatalities occur to less than .0001% of the driving population (less than 1% of crashes have a fatality), and still almost half of those are caused by alcohol.

Your fears are not reality. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Something I am unable to wrap my head around is, the continuing 70 MPH speed limits....which is crazy...absolutely crazy, and we've all driven that fast on interstates, but when it 55 people do 65 and when its 70 people do 80 and more? Why? When you know full well, if you crash someone's going to be dead?

These arse holes who do these so called studies and then raise the speed limits all the time, are they nuts? I mean seriously? How fast does one really need to go? So so many people are killed every month and yet, they refuse to change it....it's like we're dumb robots, walking around in a daze....oh yeah, lets raise the speed limit to 75? Geeze Louise....are they nuts?

And no one says a word?
When interstates get too packed to maintain such speeds, people DO slow down. It's called rush hour.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:25 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
When interstates get too packed to maintain such speeds, people DO slow down. It's called rush hour.

And you'll note that slowing down from 70+ to 35-40 mph in rush hour traffic is when accidents start happening on the interstate.

No one's doing 70+ here:

In other anecdotal news, I recently drove down to Greenville, TN from here in Baltimore, an 8+ hour drive mostly along I-81. Speed limit most of the way was 70. I set the cruise to 72 and rarely got passed. Most traffic was doing 68-72. All the way down there and all the way back UNTIL I got to I-70 in MD coming home. Still a 70mph speed limit but suddenly everyone was doing 75-80.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
And you'll note that slowing down from 70+ to 35-40 mph in rush hour traffic is when accidents start happening on the interstate.

No one's doing 70+ here:

In other anecdotal news, I recently drove down to Greenville, TN from here in Baltimore, an 8+ hour drive mostly along I-81. Speed limit most of the way was 70. I set the cruise to 72 and rarely got passed. Most traffic was doing 68-72. All the way down there and all the way back UNTIL I got to I-70 in MD coming home. Still a 70mph speed limit but suddenly everyone was doing 75-80.
I agree with you.

It's not speed that kills, but the sudden deceleration...

Old 08-02-2018, 03:41 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:

And no one says a word?
There's not much accuracy in this statement.

Please think, before you make comments like this....

Please think....

Old 08-02-2018, 04:05 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Good rule of thumb is to keep up with traffic. You don’t want to be a slowpoke. Then you are a hazard to traffic.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:11 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Speed limit means lets see how far I can push that limit before I see blue lights in order for me to get to my destination a few minutes quicker than I would otherwise, plus it's fun to drive fast and show a complete disregard for other drivers who attempt to adhere to said limits whether they are rational or not.

I am sure there is a point in there somewhere but darned if I can see it.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:52 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
do you have any idea, how many cops are killed every month by speeding cars and drunks on traffic stops. Do you even know, that if you see a cop who has a car stopped, your supposed to slow down while going around them?
Yes I know the law, slow down and move over to give the revenue agents plenty of room to conduct their transactions. About three revenue agents per month are killed while collecting revenue on the side of the road. Which is why roadside revenue collection is a really bad idea. But once again it proves: revenue > safety.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Per the OP's listed zip code, he lives in a part of southern New Mexico that is mostly desert with small towns an hour apart. This is close to the area where we tested the first atomic bomb. Of course we speed on that section of I-25. Not much traffic and few semis. It is posted at 75 mph and cars routinely travel at 85-90 mph. The speed limit goes down to 65 mph or so in Las Cruces and I am sure there are those who do not realize it or ignore it but otherwise do not see the problem.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
It is posted at 75 mph and cars routinely travel at 85-90 mph. The speed limit goes down to 65 mph or so in Las Cruces and I am sure there are those who do not realize it or ignore it but otherwise do not see the problem.
At the other end of the spectrum Montreal has now reduced the speed limit in most residential places from 50kms to 30kms per hour thats 18 mph. i have a hard time going that slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive