Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 08:31 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, I'm sorry, I've driven interstate enough to know that there is definitely practical, and then there is crazy. When I'm on the road, would certainly rather slow down some, then to chance hurting someone else....

there is in fact, an old saying, everything within moderation....yes, I've done some speeding, but I won't chance driving like some manic, I don't need to, as always seem to enjoy the ride...and I'm certainly not a slow driver....if higher speeds were practical, they'd up the speed limit signs...but they know if they'd do that, there are drivers out there who would drive even faster, so, that's the reason why they don't.

Rules are there for a reason, I chose to follow them.

If Your doing 5 - 10 miles over the speed limit, there is no reason to go faster....you then become a risk and hazard to everyone else on the road.
I'm just going to leave the BOLDED right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Per the OP's listed zip code, he lives in a part of southern New Mexico that is mostly desert with small towns an hour apart. This is close to the area where we tested the first atomic bomb. Of course we speed on that section of I-25. Not much traffic and few semis. It is posted at 75 mph and cars routinely travel at 85-90 mph. The speed limit goes down to 65 mph or so in Las Cruces and I am sure there are those who do not realize it or ignore it but otherwise do not see the problem.
Yeah, few people slow down going into Cruces on I-25, though there are a couple of speed traps between the Dona Ana and University exits.
When I drove down last week, someone in front of me slowed down to 55 while we were passing the border patrol check point (I-25, mile marker 26ish) despite the speed limit being 75 on the south bound side of the highway.

That’s how accidents happen.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, few people slow down going into Cruces on I-25, though there are a couple of speed traps between the Dona Ana and University exits.
When I drove down last week, someone in front of me slowed down to 55 while we were passing the border patrol check point (I-25, mile marker 26ish) despite the speed limit being 75 on the south bound side of the highway.

That’s how accidents happen.
Indeed. Any traffic engineer will say that speed DIFFERENTIAL is the problem, not mere speed itself.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:37 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
My son had a friend, a really great person. He spent a lot of hours at our home, when they were growing up...lots of good memories. Just last year, it was a nice day and he was riding his bike home...some drunk pulled out in front of him and killed him. So sad, he to was a cop...he did a whole lot for a lot of people...

It slowed me down....getting there late to me, is fine...rather than hurt someone else trying to make it on time...not worth it.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
My son had a friend, a really great person. He spent a lot of hours at our home, when they were growing up...lots of good memories. Just last year, it was a nice day and he was riding his bike home...some drunk pulled out in front of him and killed him. So sad, he to was a cop...

It slowed me down....getting there late to me, is fine...rather than hurt someone else trying to make it on time...not worth it.
Drunk driver. Off topic.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:01 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There’s a difference in geography, population density, and wildlife. Imagine going well above the posted highway speed limit and before you could hit the brakes a deer or moose has entered your path. In parts of the Gulf Coast areas it’s rare but there have been instances of an alligator on the road. By the time you realize it’s there it may be too late. Roads with hills and blind curves are also a speed danger. Sure many sports cars can take those roads at high speed, but you don’t know what’s on the other side of that hill or curve. Take it too fast and you won’t have time to react. Just because the vehicle is capable of such speeds doesn’t mean the driver is capable of handling the machine properly. If you have such a machine and you think you can handle it properly then take one of those high performance/defensive driving courses offeredby some manufacturers. There are private schools that offer similar courses. Go ahead, take those courses.

I can only speak to where I live, and the roads I drive on, but around here, there are warning signs for curvy roads, and for where deer are likely to cross.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
yeah, I'm sorry, I've driven interstate enough to know that there is definitely practical, and then there is crazy. When I'm on the road, would certainly rather slow down some, then to chance hurting someone else....

there is in fact, an old saying, everything within moderation....yes, I've done some speeding, but I won't chance driving like some manic, I don't need to, as always seem to enjoy the ride...and I'm certainly not a slow driver....if higher speeds were practical, they'd up the speed limit signs...but they know if they'd do that, there are drivers out there who would drive even faster, so, that's the reason why they don't.

Rules are there for a reason, I chose to follow them.

If Your doing 5 - 10 miles over the speed limit, there is no reason to go faster....you then become a risk and hazard to everyone else on the road.
I choose to drive the the speed limit on the highway most of the time.
Just so happens that the speed limit is often 75.

In Texas, 85 MPH is practical along a certain stretch of highway.

And yes, people do and will drive 5-10 miles faster than what is posted.

The stats for those highways give no indication that speeds should be lowered.
Therefore they are practical for those areas.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I choose to drive the the speed limit on the highway most of the time.
Just so happens that the speed limit is often 75.

In Texas, 85 MPH is practical along a certain stretch of highway.

And yes, people do and will drive 5-10 miles faster than what is posted.

The stats for those highways give no indication that speeds should be lowered.
Therefore they are practical for those areas.
yes, sounds like they are....and if it were 75 - 85 MPH, then I'd do the speed limit...and have....I'm talking about a road, 4 lane, it's a by pass, downhill, speed limit is 55 MPH. I can see people doing 60 - 65 but, some of them, especially kids, think they're on an interstate and do 75 - 85 MPH. I did it to when I was young....but no more...

Old 08-03-2018, 09:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Well, like I said, before, my son's a cop, and I prefer to stay within those standards....and yes, sometimes the speed limit is slower, but why go 70 when the speed limit is 55? Sorry, but today's world is a whole lot different....people do not view laws and rules the same any more, let alone have respect for them and others.

Cremebrulee, you're an older woman (so am I). Much as I hate to say it, our reflexes are slower. We're not always comfortable driving as fast as others.

I think what most people are saying is...drive at the speed you are comfortable driving at. If you're not comfortable going over the posted speed limit, stay in the right lane. A lot of times, I stay in the right lane all the way to work. I'm OK with that.

But not always.

Sometimes, I drive faster. Well...a lot of times I drive faster than the posted limit. My route doesn't get THAT heavy of volume, and sometimes the lanes are wide open for long, straight stretches, and there's rarely LEO's on that stretch of highway. So...yeah...I go faster.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Cremebrulee, you're an older woman (so am I). Much as I hate to say it, our reflexes are slower. We're not always comfortable driving as fast as others.

I think what most people are saying is...drive at the speed you are comfortable driving at. If you're not comfortable going over the posted speed limit, stay in the right lane. A lot of times, I stay in the right lane all the way to work. I'm OK with that.

But not always.

Sometimes, I drive faster. Well...a lot of times I drive faster than the posted limit. My route doesn't get THAT heavy of volume, and sometimes the lanes are wide open for long, straight stretches, and there's rarely LEO's on that stretch of highway. So...yeah...I go faster.
yes, thank you, I hear you on all points...and agree....I surely don't mind going a little faster on the interstates...and yes, our reflexes do become slower I guess...

What bothers me the most, is while driving on an interstate, you always get this one person that comes up behind you, not much traffic on the road, and the last time you looked in the rear view mirror there was no one there....

WHAM, all of a sudden this person, is behind you, and they've got the whole left lane to pass you on, maybe their's a tractor trailer further up...but Good Lord, why in the world do they have to ride your butt? That makes me nervous...so I look for a rest stop, or if I can, just pull off the road....and let them go by...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive