Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 05:51 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My son had a friend, a really great person. He spent a lot of hours at our home, when they were growing up...lots of good memories. Just last year, it was a nice day and he was riding his bike home...some drunk pulled out in front of him and killed him. So sad, he to was a cop...he did a whole lot for a lot of people...

It slowed me down....getting there late to me, is fine...rather than hurt someone else trying to make it on time...not worth it.
I'm sorry to hear about your son's friend, but what does a drunk killing someone have to do with people who do 10 over the limit on a highway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
The point I was trying to make is if you're going that fast and someone pulls out in front of you or a deer runs out in front of you you gonna lose control like our friend did. To me it's not worth it I mean if the traffic's going faster than yeah but I think that everyone has to use some common sense when they're driving, Youtube

Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
Are you guys talking about those signs with 2 digit numbers on them that seem to be along any highway?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Saw something wild, to me, on a Chicago freeway the other day.

Given I live in metro Seattle. Our freeways are I405, I5, and I90. The latter starts (ends?) at Safeco Field and ends (starts?) somewhere thousands of miles to the east in this great nation.

Our freeways are not huge, we could use more lanes. I usually don't see people belting along at any time of day; do so, you'll stand out and John Law will absolutely find you. I'm guessing given free flow of traffic, meaning odd hours (non-commute), all considered average speed on the I405 in town is 65-70mph. Not far from the speed limits. Likewise on I-5, ditto I-90, though the latter goes from 60 to a whoppin' 70mph limit a few miles east of town heading out to North Bend, 20 miles down the road in the Cascade foothills.

Now: to Chicago.

The I-90 between Schaumburg and O'Hare is what, six or seven lanes each way? Reminded me of Los Angeles! I drove that for a week, sometimes early and late. When open (non-commute), I swear median speed on that damn thing was approaching 80mph. Half faster, half slower. Never seen anything like it!

Posted limit is 60mph. That is the biggest natural disparity of actual vs. posted speeds I've yet seen on our freeways! Those going about 70...that being *me*, in my rental Camry...were right two or three lanes. There were people belting along at 80-85 in the No. 1 and 2 lane. Like, all the time, when traffic was mostly clear.

Had I been in my 911 GTS, I've have been sorely tempted to wick it up to 95-105mph, where the car "likes" to cruise, cue visions of the German Autobahn where they were designed to roam. Just can't do that in the US, though, or if you can I don't know where. I save that monkey business for waaaaaay out in rural WA State and Oregon.
Welcome to Chicago. It's a speedway lol. It's an unwritten rule around here. Far left lane is usually 15+ over, middle lanes are 5-10 over, and the far right lane is the speed limit. We also have names not numbers. You were on the Jane Addams Expressway not I-90.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Right?

Few things are more frustrating to me as a driver than people who appear to be driving as if they had no reason to have left the house.

If this is true, then you seriously need to get a life. Or a sense of perspective. Or both.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Again, speed is listed as a factor in every rear end accident, regardless of actual speed. And again, the numbers don't lie. 97% of drivers don't get into accidents of any sort, yet around 80% speed on the highways. So speed really isn't causing many accidents, even if it's a factor in the accidents that do happen.

Peruse this document for the latest in crash data:

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812554

And I was wrong, it's not 1% of all crashes are fatalities, it's .5% as noted in Chapter 1: Trends.

Some other tidbits:

Midnight to 3a.m. and 6p.m. to 9p.m. on Saturdays proved to be the deadliest 3-hour periods throughout 2016, with 1,015 and 1,001 fatal crashes, respectively.

Fifty-eight percent of fatal crashes involved only one vehicle.

Considering how many alcohol related crashes there were, it becomes obvious that what's most dangerous is leaving the bar on Friday or Saturday while cocked.

Look at Chapter 3, table 33, which won't reproduce here...

Interesting about that is that 73.3% of fatal accidents happened at under 60 mph.

Looking at the total numbers, there were ~11,000 fatalities on high speed highways. Out of 200 million drivers that's a very small percentage that are dying from driving fast. Less than .00001% in fact. The roads are not running red in blood due to raising the speed limits on the interstates, nor are they running red with blood from people driving over the speed limit on the interstates. Now, we can't tell how many of those are due to alcohol, but we can assume that about 50% are, due to the alcohol crash stats carrying over.

What all this means is that you're pretty safe out there on the interstates even at elevated speeds, so long as you aren't drunk and are paying even a bit of attention.
Alcohol related accident numbers seem very high to me, I think if it was truly that high, they would be aggressively targeting access.

Opioid deaths and overdose stastics were not even close to these alcohol/ accident numbers, but govt still cracked down extremely hard on access to opioids, not sure why alcohol would be any different?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
They are trained to say that. It is drummed into them to the point where they don't question it, no matter what the facts say...
Wow. Omnipotent much? Interesting that you would open a good post with a smug and insulting comment about two people with whom you have ZERO experience.

The fact is you have NO IDEA who those two men are, or how they think. I can tell you, because I DO know them, they are not mindless zombies who have things "...drummed into them to the point where they don't question..." They make careful, thoughtful observations about the situations they find themselves in, and sometimes we talk about it.

Try again.

--

Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The point I was trying to make is if you're going that fast and someone pulls out in front of you or a deer runs out in front of you you gonna lose control like our friend did. To me it's not worth it I mean if the traffic's going faster than yeah but I think that everyone has to use some common sense when they're driving, Youtube

That's gonna happen if you go the speed limit, too.

Dont drink and drive.

Hi

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
That's gonna happen if you go the speed limit, too.

Dont drink and drive.

Hi
It's amazing that people think that traveling the speed limit will somehow magically keep them safe. If you're going 55 mph and a deer runs infront of you, you'll be able to stop and save Bambi's life. But if you're going 56 mph, you will hit the deer, lose control and die. Talk about black and white thinking.

I speed all the time through deer country, and I have never once come close to hitting a deer. Typically I see the deer on the road up ahead, and quickly slow down. The deer sees me gets scared and runs off. Then I drive below the speed limit for the next mile or so, to make sure there are no more around. Then I go back to my "reckless" speeding.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:35 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's amazing that people think that traveling the speed limit will somehow magically keep them safe. If you're going 55 mph and a deer runs infront of you, you'll be able to stop and save Bambi's life. But if you're going 56 mph, you will hit the deer, lose control and die. Talk about black and white thinking.

I speed all the time through deer country, and I have never once come close to hitting a deer. Typically I see the deer on the road up ahead, and quickly slow down. The deer sees me gets scared and runs off. Then I drive below the speed limit for the next mile or so, to make sure there are no more around. Then I go back to my "reckless" speeding.

I've been in five accidents during the course of my life, and you can mock and laugh all you want, but I promise you this, the slower your going, the less chance of have of killing yourself or someone else...

and I've had a whole heard of deer/doe actually run out in front of us. we were doing 55 MPH, and my husband couldn't stop, we ran up the embankment and almost rolled the car....another time, I was able to stop, and two other times, they did extensive damage to the car...

the last deer herd was at 5:30 in the a.m., it was still dark, they were walking back to their trees under which they hide in, and I was able to stop. One of the deer ran into the side of my door, fell down, and then scrambled to get up, don't 1,500.00 worth of damage, if I wouldn't have stopped, I'd have hit at least 3 more.

You better hope and pray a kid never runs out in front of you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive