Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If this is true, then you seriously need to get a life. Or a sense of perspective. Or both.
I could say the same about drivers lolly gagging on the roads at 5 mph under the limit lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Here in MA, assumed speed limit on the highway is 80MPH.

Doesn't matter if it's posted 55, or 65...everyone does 80MPH. Even the cops do 80MPH and if you are in the middle lane doing 80MPH, they won't even bother looking at you as they pass by in the left lane doing 85MPH.

If you want to do less than 80MPH that's fine, but the far right lane is the best place for you. Do 70MPH in the left lane and you'll get a lot of people passing on the right at 80-85MPH and then trying to zip back over to the left lane.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Here in MA, assumed speed limit on the highway is 80MPH.

Doesn't matter if it's posted 55, or 65...everyone does 80MPH. Even the cops do 80MPH and if you are in the middle lane doing 80MPH, they won't even bother looking at you as they pass by in the left lane doing 85MPH.

If you want to do less than 80MPH that's fine, but the far right lane is the best place for you. Do 70MPH in the left lane and you'll get a lot of people passing on the right at 80-85MPH and then trying to zip back over to the left lane.
yeah, it does matter....just shows how little people respect speed limits and other rules, everyone feels like it's ok, and it's not, period.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, it does matter....just shows how little people respect speed limits and other rules, everyone feels like it's ok, and it's not, period.
Then don't speed.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Common sense has to prevail, too. My town is a summer resort. In the summer, there are about 150,000 people there on any given day. In the winter, the population is about 10,000. The speed limit is 25 on most of the roads, and 30 on the 2 "main" roads. The speed limit is the same all year round, regardless of population density. What kind of sense does it make to blindly follow the same speed limit in January with no cars or people in sight that I do in July, when there are crowds of bikers, people looking for parking spots, people pulling out of parking spots, walkers, people crossing to go to the beach, etc?

It makes no sense. I'm not going to behave as some sheep blindly following a rule just because it's on a sign. There is no science behind it, they don't change the speed limit in the winter because there are too many signs to change (they do make a lot of the traffic lights blinking lights in the winter) and it would be labor and cost prohibitive to do so. But if you use common sense, you can see it makes no sense to say the same speed should be required in all seasons.

You'll also I'm sure be appalled to hear, there have been times I've been sitting at a red light in a deserted area of town late on a winter's night, and after stopping and when I could see there isn't a car anywhere in sight, I just *gasp* went anyway, before the light changed.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
.....You'll also I'm sure be appalled to hear, there have been times I've been sitting at a red light in a deserted area of town late on a winter's night, and after stopping and when I could see there isn't a car anywhere in sight, I just *gasp* went anyway, before the light changed.
Careful, I was in New Jersey and I was at light, a LONG light, at 3:00 AM. When I pulled onto the jug-handle, I briefly, barely saw the end of the car that was behind me, and it was a cop. After what seemed like 20 minutes, the light turned green, and I went forward. And the cop turned right. Which means he was waiting for me to go through the red light t 3 AM and catch me (if he'd really needed to use the jug-handle, he would have followed me straight--you'd have to know how jug-handles work in NJ).

So, careful at those long red lights in the middle of the night when it seems like nobody is watching....just sayin'.....

--

Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
I've been in five accidents during the course of my life, and you can mock and laugh all you want, but I promise you this, the slower your going, the less chance of have of killing yourself or someone else...

and I've had a whole heard of deer/doe actually run out in front of us. we were doing 55 MPH, and my husband couldn't stop, we ran up the embankment and almost rolled the car....another time, I was able to stop, and two other times, they did extensive damage to the car...

the last deer herd was at 5:30 in the a.m., it was still dark, they were walking back to their trees under which they hide in, and I was able to stop. One of the deer ran into the side of my door, fell down, and then scrambled to get up, don't 1,500.00 worth of damage, if I wouldn't have stopped, I'd have hit at least 3 more.

You better hope and pray a kid never runs out in front of you....
Again I drive in those conditions all the time, and don't have a problem driving near deer.

Don't confuse your bad driving with speed. A good driver watches for wildlife, and slows down regardless of the speed limit, or the speed being driven. Crashes with deer can happen at any speed. Speed has very little to do with it. Not paying attention is what causes the crashes.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:35 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
It is, actually. *drops mic*

Old 08-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Fairly convinced at least two posters in this thread don't drive.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Please read today's front page article of the New Jersey Star-Ledger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive