Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 07:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790
Good post. Although, I wasn't speaking specifically to fatalities. I was speaking to all MVAs. And I wasn't speaking specifically to highway MVAs, I was speaking to highway and non-highway MVAs (which I guess was off-topic, because the thread does say "interstate").

But I'm not convinced by your argument. Specifically, I didn't say it was highway speeds that were causing the MVAs. I said it was excessive speed that was the factor. You see excessive speeds on and off the highway. Indeed, in the NHTSA Traffic Safety Facts 2016 document you cite, table 121 lists 82% of the "speeding-related traffic fatalities" were in "non-interstate" situations. (And table 121 also says that 26% of all traffic fatalities were "speeding-related.")

So to say, "So speed really isn't causing many accidents, even if it's a factor in the accidents that do happen..." kind of blithely ignores those numbers. You can't cite the document and then dismiss one of the key findings.

A couple of cop buddies of mine (and admittedly, this is anecdotal) tell me time and time again: Speeding causes accidents. It doesn't have to be on the interstate. It can be in your own neighborhood.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Less time to react the faster one goes imo.

Not just your opinion. It's that pesky old law of physics again. It always rules, no matter how many people think it doesn't apply to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As I have pointed out repeatedly speed limits are more suppressed on secondary roads than on interstates. 25 m.p.h. or 30 m.p.h. limits are fine on residential streets but are too low on undivided two or four-lane highways. Those should be set at 40 m.p.h. or 45 m.p.h. in most cases. Stop signs are often used to more to slow people down than where a full stop is warranted. They are called "traffic calming" devices, but are really there to promote the control freaks in charge of localities.

Or perhaps to calm the control freaks behind the wheels of cars who think that they must must must MUST drive faster than the speed limit on the basis of "You're not the boss of me!" thinking.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:41 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Law enforcement, that's who is in the wrong. They should be out there actually enforcing the traffic laws, including slower traffic keep right AND the speed limit law, if this is a common occurrence (traffic driving 75 mph in a posted 55 mph zone).
They go faster than that themselves. Then they give all their friends and family FOP cards and stickers to allow and encourage them to do the same without consequence.

Here’s a video of an incident in NJ several years ago, where the cops led a caravan of exotic cars down the Garden State Parkway from north Jersey all the way to Atlantic City, at speeds of 120 MPH. Speed limit is 65. https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...police_le.html

They actually DID think no one is the boss of them, while I really doubt that applies to most who exceed the limit.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-11-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Again I drive in those conditions all the time, and don't have a problem driving near deer.

Don't confuse your bad driving with speed. A good driver watches for wildlife, and slows down regardless of the speed limit, or the speed being driven. Crashes with deer can happen at any speed. Speed has very little to do with it. Not paying attention is what causes the crashes.
always on the alert for wildlife and am a good driver, so....again, my sons a cop so I know whats right and wrong, but apparently you do not.. Rules and laws are not in your culture....unfortunate

Old 08-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
When I was driving out to Lenox, MA from NYS on Route 20 (which has a 55 MPH speed limit in most spots between Exit 11E of I-90 and the NY-MA state line) I used to get that a lot. Even on nights when it was raining/snowing, foggy, and we're still in rutting season. I've pulled off more than once to let the yahoos go by me. I was in a bad accident back in 2002 because I wasn't driving at a speed "prudent to existing road conditions," and I have no inclination to repeat that experience.
Know exactly what you mean, when in Rome...right? I drive the speed limit and on interstates do tend to speed some, but am always on the look out for wild life...

I've been in five accidents, 4 of which I was with someone else driving, but the last one I was driving up a two lane highway, in my renovated van...it was beautiful, stopped to make a left hand turn, and some guy wasn't watching behind me, and was passing a rig, saw him in the rear view mirror, he didn't hit his breaks until the last minute. B/c my wheel was turned to make that left hand turn, the impact rolled me over on the passenger's side, and the front axil bent, holding the fan up off the road a mere foot maybe? Van spun around four times on its side, and a woman hit me coming south bound. the van burst into flames. I guess I was knocked out....b/c when I came two, there were people spread out all across the road, and I heard a woman scream, "Someone, please get her out of there!!" I smelled fire, and crawled out the side window that was up off the ground a foot, my sandles came off.

The accident was not my fault nor was it in bad weather. I know how to drive well, as I learned how to speed shift on a 67 GTO. Loved driving fast....no more.....

Speeding isn't worth it, you've got less time to stop, and if the car in front of you, has to stop fast, you'll never be able to stop if your tail gating...

but unfortunately you can't tell these kids today anything, they know it all..... I really wish there were more cops on the road....

one day I was driving back from visiting, and going thru West Virginia, wasn't a soul on the road, so I was doing 75 - 80 MPH. This guy comes up behind me, and instead of passing me, tailgates me for the next five miles, now mind you, there wasn't anyone on that road hardly....but he chose to be on my tail...so I pulled over and left him pass....real jerk?????

Old 08-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Read my post #433.

"I agree! I'm just putting forth my idea of what
might be going on inside the heads of those that
do not indicate turns, lane changes, etc.
"
yes, and I thought of it and laughed to myself this past week while driving...lol
it's no one's business where I'm turning...lol

I swear, the things people do on the road?

Old 08-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Know exactly what you mean, when in Rome...right? I drive the speed limit and on interstates do tend to speed some, but am always on the look out for wild life...

I've been in five accidents, 4 of which I was with someone else driving, but the last one I was driving up a two lane highway, in my renovated van...it was beautiful, stopped to make a left hand turn, and some guy wasn't watching behind me, and was passing a rig, saw him in the rear view mirror, he didn't hit his breaks until the last minute. B/c my wheel was turned to make that left hand turn, the impact rolled me over on the passenger's side, and the front axil bent, holding the fan up off the road a mere foot maybe? Van spun around four times on its side, and a woman hit me coming south bound. the van burst into flames. I guess I was knocked out....b/c when I came two, there were people spread out all across the road, and I heard a woman scream, "Someone, please get her out of there!!" I smelled fire, and crawled out the side window that was up off the ground a foot, my sandles came off.

The accident was not my fault nor was it in bad weather. I know how to drive well, as I learned how to speed shift on a 67 GTO. Loved driving fast....no more.....

Speeding isn't worth it, you've got less time to stop, and if the car in front of you, has to stop fast, you'll never be able to stop if your tail gating...

but unfortunately you can't tell these kids today anything, they know it all..... I really wish there were more cops on the road....

one day I was driving back from visiting, and going thru West Virginia, wasn't a soul on the road, so I was doing 75 - 80 MPH. This guy comes up behind me, and instead of passing me, tailgates me for the next five miles, now mind you, there wasn't anyone on that road hardly....but he chose to be on my tail...so I pulled over and left him pass....real jerk?????
You’re admitting you exceeded the speed limit driving 75-80, while earlier you were arguing against all of us who drive similarly, I don’t get it.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, and I thought of it and laughed to myself this past week while driving...lol
it's no one's business where I'm turning...lol

I swear, the things people do on the road?
I thought the same thing but that poster has since stated many times he was being sarcastic, and assuming that’s what people who don’t signal are thinking.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought the same thing but that poster has since stated many times he was being sarcastic, and assuming that’s what people who don’t signal are thinking.
Yes, if it's me you are referring to, I was in fact being facetious. But I am sure there are quite a few 'entitled' types driving out there, who think they are above indicating their turns or other intentions. IE: "I drive a full-size pickup truck - why do I need to signal turns, etc.?"

Old 08-11-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You’re admitting you exceeded the speed limit driving 75-80, while earlier you were arguing against all of us who drive similarly, I don’t get it.
yeah, I'm bad....while driving interstate, if no one is around, I do sometimes drive faster, exceeding the speed limit by 5 MPH or a little more....and it's during the day....and it isn't constant, not nearly, when passing a truck going uphill, but, will tend to stay around the speed limit....why? Because it's the right thing to do....

We're all human....

My problem is driving those speeds in excessive traffic, in bad weather, and bad road conditions or on back roads, I rarely go over the speed limit when on back roads....and when people tail gate at that rate of speed....

you guys were arguing that it's ok to drive excessively going over the speed limit all the time, hardly the case for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive