Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I got a new engine installed in my 91 Mazda truck. It had been a good truck and I figured I could get a new engine cheaper than a comparable truck. The engine did OK for a while but started having problems and didn't hold up. The mechanic had always done good work, so I don't think it was his fault.

I would have been better off to search for a late model truck and let the Mazda go. I would never replace an engine again. Surgery too major and not worth doing.

New
engine or rebuilt by who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

New
engine or rebuilt by who knows?
It was a new engine, don't recall where it came from.

I checked out the cost and also looked at the used vehicle market at the time. It seemed then that vehicles were running high & that I could do the engine cheaper. The other parts of the truck were in good shape and it seemed a good idea. I had to wait nearly a year to save money for the job. I should have rechecked the vehicle market though. I discovered afterward that a lot of people had traded in and there were a lot of good vehicles at better prices. I would have been a lot better off to find another truck.

Live and learn.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHY are they ordering a new oil pan if they "believe the engine is burning oil"? Do they believe a new pan will mystically stop oil burning? I'd want a solid reason before I paid them anything for a new pan. And if the something wrong with the pan they claim is a faulty drain plug, have they been the ones always changing the oil? If there really is something wrong with the pan, how did they determine it was burning oil and not leaking it?
Beats me - I'm not a mechanic - which is why I made this posting.

Overall the car has been a good one, so I'm inclined to try to get more time out of it. It may seem pointless to put more $$ into the Hyundai, but it's probably going to be less than getting another car.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:44 AM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A 10 year old Accent with 125,000 miles is a throwaway car. I wouldn't put another dime into it. When my Hyundai reaches 10 years or 100,000 miles it will be time to sell it, as the powertrain warranty will have expired.
Exactly. People don't seem to have much common sense. It's a massive repair bill for a new engine and you're not getting a brand new engine from the factory anyway and everything else on the car is old!! Wheel bearings ect. All kinds of future repairs. And you have no idea the history/how well the engine you're buying was rebuilt. Just take a look at the trade in value of your hyundai in fair/poor condition. That's about what the dealer pays for it. Then take a look at private sale value. You can get a much better deal by getting a different car.

You can't get NEW engines for old used cars. You can get factory rebuilt, which is not the same thing as brand new. They only build NEW engine/transmissions for cars going on an assembly line. Manufacturers only make a 1:1 radio of new engine/tranny to cars. When you buy a tranny/engine for a used car you're getting either a junkyard one, a rebuilt one, or factory refurbished/remanufactured. None of these are new. Rebuilt/Remanned engines and trannys fail all the time and they cost a fortune to buy and install. It only makes sense when the trade in value of the car is more than the repair will cost. A remanufacted engine can cost 5k+ to install depending on vehicle make/model. Anything other than re-manufactured engines by hyundai straight from the factory(which are still used) are a total gamble.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
If the oil pan is the problem, then you should see oil spots where you park it overnight ar while at work. If it were cracked, you'ld run out of oil quick. If it's a cross threaded drain bolt, you could use Helicoil to fix that.

Does the car smoke when you first start it up or when you pull away from red lights?
Not that I am aware of.
We're going to do what has been suggested here and keep the oil level full at all times and see if we can squeeze out more time with the car.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:27 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Background info:

The wife drives a 2008 Hyundai with about 125,000 miles on it. Car has been reasonably well taken care of and she has had it since new.
What does "reasonably" mean?

Might be time to upgrade maintenance procedures and keep ahead of any future issues on all vehicles.

Probably should have asked to view the oil pan and find out what is wrong with it.

Have to agree with others above. No "new" engine. As there are not any "new" engines. There are used ones. That's a big gamble. And rebuilt and remanufactured. Are they proposing a short block or long block?

Best bet is to keep vehicle going as best as can. Put money aside regularly for a replacement vehicle.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:34 AM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Overall the car has been a good one, so I'm inclined to try to get more time out of it. It may seem pointless to put more $$ into the Hyundai, but it's probably going to be less than getting another car.
No it will not.It will cost you more in the long run. You can get a 2010 accent with 50k on it for around what a factory remanned engine would cost.(about 5k). Many hyundai engines will go to nearly 200k if you take care of them(recent 2011-2014 sonatas excluded. hyundai lately has made bad engines, but older ones were better). Remanned engines do NOT last as long as original equipment. You could sink thousands into a used engine and engine could die again right after their very short warranty.Happens all the time. Go and get a used car and have it checked by a mechanic before purchase. Your car is worth about 1k dollars for trade in. Putting 5k into a 1k dollar car is crazy

Also, Just because car is leaking oil doesn't mean you need a new engine. Are there oil puddles under the car after you park? Is compression ok? Just check the oil regularly. It's an old car. Gasket seaping can occur.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
Add a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer with every oil change.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:56 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Exactly. People don't seem to have much common sense. It's a massive repair bill for a new engine and you're not getting a brand new engine from the factory anyway and everything else on the car is old!! Wheel bearings ect. All kinds of future repairs. And you have no idea the history/how well the engine you're buying was rebuilt. Just take a look at the trade in value of your hyundai in fair/poor condition. That's about what the dealer pays for it. Then take a look at private sale value. You can get a much better deal by getting a different car.

You can't get NEW engines for old used cars. You can get factory rebuilt, which is not the same thing as brand new. They only build NEW engine/transmissions for cars going on an assembly line. Manufacturers only make a 1:1 radio of new engine/tranny to cars. When you buy a tranny/engine for a used car you're getting either a junkyard one, a rebuilt one, or factory refurbished/remanufactured. None of these are new. Rebuilt/Remanned engines and trannys fail all the time and they cost a fortune to buy and install. It only makes sense when the trade in value of the car is more than the repair will cost. A remanufacted engine can cost 5k+ to install depending on vehicle make/model. Anything other than re-manufactured engines by hyundai straight from the factory(which are still used) are a total gamble.
I believe chevy is the only company to still offer brand new 'crate motors', Ford may, not sure about them.

Theres also a company that specializes in putting different brand engines in cars, they make adapter plates and brackets, I want to say the company name is 'Clifford', but not 100% sure on that.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
i think once the pan is replaced, things will go back to normal, but keep an eye on it for a few tanks of fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive