Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times

Advertisements

I think the 2018 Honda Accord Sedan (47 MPG, plenty of room and pep) is the best car one can buy.

And, of course, I hate SUVs.....from the first day I looked at a Ford Explorer in the 80's. We had minivans and the Explorer had no room in comparison, cost vastly more, was less stable, etc....

But, then again, I've lived through the era of where many Americans think that driving a Hummer is cool because it makes you a "killer" type. When I was a child, I did childish things....but I put that stuff away in the toy closet (my cardboard forts, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:32 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If a truck doesn't have an 8' bed, it's not a real truck.

My beef with some cars is poor visibility out of the back window. I don't care how sexy it looks. I don't want it. (And don't get me started on stupid back up cameras.)
It's not because it looks sexy, it's for safety. So when you're rear ended by a "real truck," your backseat passengers (likely kids) won't be hurt or killed.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:35 AM

German cars are not special. In fact, they are inferior in many ways, reliability being the main one.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
German cars are not special. In fact, they are inferior in many ways, reliability being the main one.
The older ones tended to be superior in all the ways that matter to me: performance, driving dynamics, comfort, and style. And both of mine have been quite reliable, even for 12-17 year old cars.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:16 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Finally, I think we expect too much from a car lately. I read an interview about a German car company once where the owner said something like - let cars be cars, & let tables hold your cups. Meaning he didn't care about putting cup holders in a car because why even expect a car to hold your drink for you. Cars should be focused on driving performance not being your living room. Seems lately we want a vehicle that gets 32 mpg, with 45 cubic feet of cargo space in the back with seats up, perfect safety scores, 9 cup holders, easily seats 5, high quality interior, yet costs under $27k & won't break down for at least 10 years. Oh & it better have AWD, bluetooth, back up camera & seats more comfy than my living room couch.
I think if you're a parent who constantly has to lug small humans and all their things, or even do roadtrips often enough, all of that is exactly what you want in your $35k+ investment. If you're younger, that's much less important.

Also, on the topic of need, you buy up to what you can afford because it will have use at some point. Most obvious example - nobody buys a 16GB iPhone when they can smartly choose 64/128GB instead. In the car world, when you're spending tens of thousands only once every ~5 years, you should not only account for the bare minimum. Those who say to go rent a bigger car only when you need it have never done it. Instead, they find alternative means (ie. phone a friend/relative) and it's a PITA to do so every time, guaranteed. Spend more if you can afford it for the convenience of having it. Same as the phone analogy.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-25-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 09:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:

- AWD: majority of drivers in Wisconsin don't need it even though many think it's a necessity here. Due to global warming it snows much less now & we get more ice than anything. Plows do a great job of quickly clearing the road & most roads already have salt on before it starts snowing. Why have to deal with the expense of awd year around when you only need it 6 days out of the year.
I love AWD in Florida. As long as you keep tires fresh enough to have proper tread, it really, really helps in handling in our usual summer monsoon rain conditions. And for nice grippy handling in general.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I think if you're a parent who constantly has to lug small humans and all their things, or even do roadtrips often enough, all of that is exactly what you want in your $35k+ investment. If you're younger, that's much less important.

Also, on the topic of need, you buy up to what you can afford because it will have use at some point. Most obvious example - nobody buys a 16GB iPhone when they can smartly choose 64/128GB instead. In the car world, when you're spending tens of thousands only once every ~5 years, you should not only account for the bare minimum. Those who say to go rent a bigger car only when you need it have never done it. Instead, they find alternative means (ie. phone a friend/relative) and it's a PITA to do so every time, guaranteed. Spend more if you can afford it for the convenience of having it. Same as the phone analogy.
Exactly. I have two kids. But I routinely haul around two more, as we do carpools a lot to and from school / practice. So I've got to get 4 kids and all their gear in my car. And since they have been practicing, sometimes outside in the heat, for an hour, they are all thirsty and have water with them. So I need lots of seats, lots of cup holders, and lots of cargo space.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That big men look totally stupid in tiny sports cars.
I have to agree with you although I Have a Jensen Healey and I am 6'1" and in the 230s. I know I look silly in it. But I love to drive it anyway. I am old enough not to care about looking silly.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think the 2018 Honda Accord Sedan (47 MPG, plenty of room and pep) is the best car one can buy.

Wow! That IS an unpopular opinion. In fact, all three of those opinions are.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:

- AWD: majority of drivers in Wisconsin don't need it even though many think it's a necessity here. Due to global warming it snows much less now & we get more ice than anything. Plows do a great job of quickly clearing the road & most roads already have salt on before it starts snowing. Why have to deal with the expense of awd year around when you only need it 6 days out of the year.
I thought that here too (SE Michigan). However we have had several record snowfall years recently. We have also had some record cold years. It does not snow less here, just different. Now is snows and melts snows and melts. It used to stick around longer and build up. Now the temperatures seem to bounce around more. We have had some really cool things I have not seen before like freezing fog (hold out your hand and it is covered in ice in seconds), thunder-snow, unusual ice storms (different from the normal ice storms - more dramatic), and unbelievable temperature changes like 70 degrees change in the same week or 40 - 50 degrees in 24 hours.

AWD is not necessary. However it is still useful. It was never necessary. For decades people here drove on 2wd with no snow tires and they survived (most of them), so really nothing is "necessary"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive