Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,412,863 times

Advertisements

If you want a EV then buy one but stop trying to push them down EV are not perfected yet and how are they environmentally friendly when it takes fossil fuel to make them so you can throw out that theory out the window. And you can’t charge a battery as fast as you can gasoline vehicle, and you can’t go as far either. Gm had a electric car in 1996 to 1999 it never sold so they quit making it. I’m not a tree hugger I like my big SUVs and pickups and a EV will never sit in my driveway my pickup will be available to tow a EV when they run out of juice though because that EV tow truck ran out of juice also. Just ask someone how much electricity it takes to run a assembly plant, and all that electricity is made mostly with coal fired turbine power plants so we’re is the environmental savings there. And don’t forget the steel is also made at steel mills witch use coal fired power plants to run their electric arc furnacs, along with the electric plastic injection molding machine, and the spot welders. You see a EV vehicle is not environmentally friendly if you have to use electricity made from a fossil fuel like coal. And the same for making the battery for these vehicles. And you need oil to lubricate all the machinery that makes a EV also.

Last edited by easy62; 07-27-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 06:49 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
EV are not perfected yet and how are they environmentally friendly when it takes fossil fuel to make them so you can throw out that theory out the window
I wonder where the break even point is? At what point is it more environmentally friendly to send an old car to the junkyard, replacing it with an EV, than to keep fixing up that old car that already exists?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I wonder where the break even point is? At what point is it more environmentally friendly to send an old car to the junkyard, replacing it with an EV, than to keep fixing up that old car that already exists?
It’s cheaper than getting an EV because parts are easy to get and replace and when you take a car to a scrap yard it’s recycled the same as a EV vehicle would but the difference is the battery in a EV is more hazardous than gasoline because unlike gasoline which evaporates unlike a EV battery that has to be taken out and shipped to a place that disposes of EV batteries . And old oil from junk cars is recycled and used as heating oil, asphalt, or other petroleum based products.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 AM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
it's hot in southern Calif. and will be until the end of Sept. They tell us to conserve electricity yet they want everyone to have a electric car.
They don't have enough electricity to run all the air conditioners now much charge up millions of electric cars.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
it's hot in southern Calif. and will be until the end of Sept. They tell us to conserve electricity yet they want everyone to have a electric car.
They don't have enough electricity to run all the air conditioners now much charge up millions of electric cars.
Let people buy those EV cars in California and they come out in the morning and their EV didn’t charge because of a power outage or a brown out, but what’s funny they go and get a portable generator that runs on gasoline what a joke. People forget that their power is mostly generated by coal a fossil fuel. Lol lol

Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Automatics are for elderly and women.
Um, nope, ...they are for
someone drinking a beer, adjusting the stereo, lighting a cigarette, while rolling down the window.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you want a EV then buy one

I did.

Quote:
but stop trying to push them down

I haven't. I've defended them against ignorant attacks, though. Stop attacking them and maybe I'll stop responding to your comments.

Quote:
EV are not perfected yet

No one said they were. But they are useable by 80% of the driving population right now.

Quote:
and how are they environmentally friendly when it takes fossil fuel to make them so you can throw out that theory out the window.

I never said they were, so you're arguing against an imaginary straw man foe.

BUT, since you asked:

Even with power generated by coal and natural gas, they are cleaner to operate well to wheel. Centrally located power sources that are regulated clean and getting cleaner every year are more environmentally friendly than a million individual point sources that are getting dirtier every year (individual gas cars that are allowed to pollute more every year they are on the road and are NOT as well maintained as those power plants).

And the lesser pollution that those power plants generate is away from congested urban areas, so you reduce the smog in congested urban areas that individual cars create.

Quote:
And you can’t charge a battery as fast as you can gasoline vehicle,

You really don't NEED to when you start every day with a "full tank" at home. You can't do that with a gasoline car unless you have a refinery in your back yard.

Quote:
and you can’t go as far either.

You can drive a Tesla coast to coast. How much farther do you need to drive on a regular basis? Hell you're retired. I doubt you go many places on a regular basis anyhow. Again, most people drive less than 40 miles a day. If you drive farther regularly, you either need to move closer to work or simply choose a different mode of transportation than an EV. Pretty ****ing simple.

Quote:
I’m not a tree hugger I like my big SUVs and pickups and a EV will never sit in my driveway.

Show me on the bear where the bad EV touched you... Your hatred of them is borderline psychotic (as is the vitriol with which you insult them).

I like my big SUV too (and it's probably bigger than yours, an 8.1 liter 2500 Suburban that tows 12k lbs) and I like my convertible sports car and my V8 performance sedan. But the EV is a perfect commuter car and after the road trip in it to Tennessee and back, I'm getting rid of my V8 sedan as it simply won't get used much anymore.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

Actually, Southern California Edison did a few studies and found that replacing half the cars in California with EVs would not negatively affect the grid, and in fact, since most of them charge at night when power plants normally ramp down that the grid would become more efficient overall AND the plugged in EVs could be used to load balance the grid, by using their battery packs. Something you can't do with ACs.

Now, replacing half the cars in California, at current production levels, would take close to 50 years. So there's more than enough time for the grid to be improved... There's NO danger of switching half the cars in the country over to EVs any time soon EVEN if all car manufactures switched over to make ONLY EVs tomorrow.

So, like I asked easy62, show me on the bear where the EV touched you...

Old 07-27-2018, 10:09 AM

654 posts, read 630,371 times
Trucks that weigh over 5000 lbs should be taxed as a heavy duty vehicle.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 AM

4,601 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'd say it was the management suite - and what they demand in terms of (lack of) innovation. German carmakers have strong Unions...and a German automaker employee costs much more than an American one (union or not).

Yet they have made cars that sell well. My Union Made German Passat was 28K loaded. Your Japanese Lexus or Toyota includes universal health care and Unions and are one-income families that can afford to live in a middle class fashion....

When the UAW designs cars then they will share the blame. But it's the American problem of lack of innovation that has killed all our automakers.

Strangely enough, we taught Japan and Korea how to do it all right...they have unions and health care and retirement money and everything else, but we don't.....

Maybe, just maybe, you can turn this problem on its ear. You'd need decent management, patient stockholders and well-paid happy workers to produce a decent product for the long term.

Seems obvious...but I guess it is not. The UAW didn't design the Cruze.
Remember that Japanese and European automakers don't have to provide health care for their workers --
the government pays for health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive