Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:18 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,766,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I test-drove the A6 and E350 before buying the M35. Going with the Infiniti did not make me feel like I was downgrading from the other two. (Didn't even look at a 535i because I hate the E60 platform. ) Regarding Infiniti and Lexus, the RWD sedan models are/were badged as Nissans and Toyotas in Japan, but those were luxury models under the same make. Only on this side were they given their own divisions (a good idea).
Don't forget that the same German luxury cars we seem to revere here are also taxis and cop cars with vinyl seats in the home country...

Also, most of the newer Bentley models share parts with Volkswagens, and Rolls-Royce uses BMW parts.
VW owns Bentley. That's why it has a W12 in it. They own Bugatti, which is why it has a W16 in it. They own Porsche, which is wby the Cayenne(Tuarag) had a W10 diesel option. VW owns Lamborghini, which is why the Audi(also owned by VW) A8 is basically a Gallarado. I still find it funny knowing they own Porsche, and question why with such ownership, the Beetle wasn't built with a rear engine format like the Type1s and other aircooled models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Trucks that weigh over 5000 lbs should be taxed as a heavy duty vehicle.
...but they aren't...

Pick ups are light duty vehicles, even if ones 2500 can pull an empty train car, they're still light duty vehicles. Compared to most vehicles, considering how large all classes of cars have gotten; a 3500 dually just isn't that heavy. Your average Camry is like 3500lbs, which is borderline middle wieght. A new Camaro outwieghs a Corvette, which is just as heavy, if a bit more than a Camry. Even though the Camaro being what it is, seems pretty damn heavy, focused on it being a coupe/pony car. Generally speaking, from an overall stand point is not. A Challenger(another coupe/pony car), outwieghs my Crown Victoria. If that was the case; a Tesla would need the same tax, as they(and the Veyron and Chiron actually) wiegh about 5500lbs, Rolls flagship car wieghs even more. Back to mortal vehicles, the Taurus is heavier than a crown Vic- which in police trim is lighter than a Grand Marquis and Town Car. Large straight trucks, like moving companies use, aren't even considered heavy duty. Now a Greyhound, or whatever transit bus your city uses, would be a heavy duty vehicle. So would a Dump truck, or semi.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Me too.......a waste of prime storage space.....much better up on the steering column out of the way.
How much storage do you need? There's door pockets, glovebox, little shelves or whatever on the dash, armrest storage, people even stuff crap under the sunvisors, and if there's a overhead console, there's at least three spots to put stuff, and i case of a transit connect; two whole shelves above the sunvisors. How much crap do you need? Get a Taurus, they basically laid down a small dresser/steamer trunk for a center console.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
When you're driving to work tomorrow morning, note how many non-commercial use pickup trucks have anything in the bed and/or have no passengers, only the driver. There's your answer.
A truck doesn't hafta do "truck stuff" 24/7, it's just another bodystyle vehicle one can buy. It's not some special unicorn vehicle. How many corvettes do you see, how many do you think race them compared to driving it every day or on weekends? I usually see them puttering around in traffic. I don't understand this argument people here always have for trucks, it's always the same diatribe. I see many people everyday all by themselves in their sedan. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for a pickup or van owner. By said argument; every pick up truck should have a bed full of crap, every sedan owner should have three to five other people in it at all times. If not, they must be wrong, and would be better off with a miata or some sort of bike versus constantly wasting cargo and seat space more often than not.

Make america great again; every pick up must have a load of bricks or a stack of 8x5 plywood. Every sedan must have at minamum four occupants, every sports car is required to do track days every weekend. Every minivan must have 2.5 children, a dog, and soccer equipment, while every fullsize van must be loaded with boxes of things or dead hookers. If not, you're not a patriot and will be shipped to guantanamo bay.

Please don't think any less of me because I don't use my car as it's intended; to either perform traffic stops or run people to and from the airport. I just don't want to go to prison chasing down perps and arresting them or having drunk people puke in it.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My friend has a long bed crew cab and he hasn't had anything in the back for years. He could of had a Miata to take him places just as well instead of this gas hog hard to park and go around a corner behemoth.
I like stepvans, I'd daily drive it and the most use it'd get would probably be groceries or taking my bicycle to the skate park. Otherwise I'd treat it like any other car. I knew a guy that daily drove an airport limo style bus.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I don't think CVT's are nearly as bad as people make them out to be, they offer similar and sometimes better performance than traditional automatics. For example Dodge Charger V6 vs Nissan Maxima V6 the Maxima is significantly faster, and its front wheel drive as well compared to a 8-speed RWD charger.
Has nothing to do with having a cvt. It's a lighter car with far less drivetrain loss. A fwd car has like 5% drivetrain loss compared to a rwd cars 30%.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,296,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Has nothing to do with having a cvt. It's a lighter car with far less drivetrain loss. A fwd car has like 5% drivetrain loss compared to a rwd cars 30%.
The ones who complain about a cvt don’t even have one they don’t like them because they know a person who has one or they read it somewhere. If you have a cvt in your vehicle and don’t like them then why did you not test drive the vehicle before you bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive