Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,950,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Very funny but don’t give up your day job because you’re jokes suck.

Not tough to guess who has the higher paying day job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not tough to guess who has the higher paying day job.
Since I’m retired I guess you do I’ll think of that while I’m having a drink during the day then take a nap but keep up your comic act one day you can go on America’s got talent and tell the country you’re corney jokes.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:11 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
For those interested here's a link to a little more of the story leading up to Marchionne's passing:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...autonews-daily

Old 07-27-2018, 01:27 PM

628 posts, read 821,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
They only make 3 cars now and the ones they sell are quite popular like the challenger, the charger, and the 300 the rest are pickups and Jeep and the Pacifica van. And when Daimler owned Chrysler they never invested in the car or the SUVs they only wanted the Jeep and pickup trucks because Daimler dose not have a pickup in their lineup even today and everyone wants Jeep, and when they owned Chrysler their plants in Germany were union unlike Hyundai witch has no union plants anyway, will be interesting if Hyundai ever bought Chrysler and how they and the UAW will get along because Hyundai cannot get rid of the UAW as much as they wish they could.
Daimler owns Mercedes benz and Mercedes Benz does make a pickup truck called the X Class but oddly it is not sold in the US also Mercedes makes semi trucks in Europe

Old 07-27-2018, 01:46 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I just wasn't sure how he was going to avoid letting Chrysler drag the joint venture down the way they dragged Mercedes down for a while.

Hold up. When Daimler bought Chrysler, Chrysler was profitable and sitting on a PILE of cash from the Neon, minivan, and PT programs as well as Jeep's continuing success. Besides trying to get Jeep, Daimler was after that big ol' pile of cash, which they spent on Daimler and not on Chrysler. So really it was the other way around, Daimler was a drag on Chrysler's profitability. Then Cerberus bought Chrysler only to run it down farther, Fiat bought Chrysler to get Jeep (as everyone else ever did) but unlike Daimler and Cerberus, injected a lot of money into Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep to make them not only profitable, but competitive in their markets. Interiors got vastly better. Build quality went up.

RIP Sergio, you were a respected leader.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Daimler owns Mercedes benz and Mercedes Benz does make a pickup truck called the X Class but oddly it is not sold in the US also Mercedes makes semi trucks in Europe
Daimler owns semi truck maker Freightliner and Detroit Diesel so Daimler does sell Semi Truck in the USA. In fact my daughters company just bought 500 new freightliners my daughter just got hers yesterday.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,091,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The numbers vary by source.

Daimler/Mercedes lost about $10-30 billion dollars with Chrysler.

Unknown how much Cerebus Management lost with the bankruptcy of Chrysler.

Sergio performed magic turning around Chrysler.

But going back a few decades. Chrysler purchased AMC. Dumped the J10/Gladiator pickup truck and the small Comanche pickup truck. Then dumped the AMC brand for the Eagle brand. Dumped all AMC cars. Ended the Eagle brand.

Chrysler today can't make cars that sell. Fiat cars are Euro trash cars. Assembled in Romania with engine from Poland and transmission from France (or some such odd combination). Now attempting to bring back old Italian nameplates with Italian cars. Few recall the junk Fiats of the 1960,s and 1970's. Rust buckets made with Russian rolled steel.

Jeep and Ram (Dodge) trucks will be around for a long time. Who knows who will end up owning those brands. Probably the Chinese. But who knows.
It's a shame, but true... But I wonder why... My guess is that they are like a sports team that has become "used to losing and actually expect to." ("Losing is a disease..." RE: "The Natural") Failure becomes ingrained in the corporate culture.

When I was in corporate American, it seemed to me that people in corporations adopted the attitudes, work ethics, and general feeling about the company from their leaders. I wonder if at any time since the seventies - has Chrysler management been totally replace from mid-level up?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:23 PM

272 posts, read 182,365 times
Wonder if FCA didn't have the Jeep, RAM and Durango on their books, would they even be profitable? Seems like they are the models keeping them afloat in today's world.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
Wonder if FCA didn't have the Jeep, RAM and Durango on their books, would they even be profitable? Seems like they are the models keeping them afloat in today's world.
Their chalanger and charger are great sellers for Chrysler their hellcat is a fast ass car and their demon is insane no other production car can come close to its power. Chrysler made money on their vehicles like the Dodge Viper, the Plymouth Prowler and their PT cruiser. Everyone was trying to come out with their own vehicles to match Chrysler like the Chevrolet HHR, and the Chevrolet SSR, and Fords 2 seater Tbird but they did not achieve the success as Chrysler did. I worked for them when they had the Little Red Wagon and the Warlock pickups those pickups sold very well for them. I forgot about their Chrysler 300 witch many call a little Bentley because the grill looked similar.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:16 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some of you need to broaden your sources of news.

It was announced about a week ago that Mr. Marchionne was resigning as CEO effective at once due to complications from shoulder surgery.

Mr. Marchionne had undergone a rather routine operation but something (and we still don't know) happened and he was then in intensive care on a ventilator. Efforts to wean him off failed, then he died.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fca-...-report-2018-7

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/21/new...own/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/22/how-...-replaced.html

IMHO this has a whiff of the late "Joan Rivers" about it; the operation was routine, Mr. Marchionne was in reasonably good health before undergoing, but ends up in a coma then dead.
My sources of news is primarily dominated by endless coverage of Trump and whatever the new British princess is doing or wearing. The other 99.9% of world news is buried deep under the first two topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive