Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 01:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times

Advertisements

I just got new tires and an alignment for my Subaru. They gave me a printout of the "before" and "after" numbers.

Each front wheel has five measurements, three of which have specified ranges. Rear wheels have two measurements each. Of the ten measurements with ranges, three of mine were outside the range. Two were corrected to put them within the ranges (camber, front left, and to, rear right). The other, the caster (front right), was slightly outside the range and was not adjusted. (They told me there was no adjustment that could be done on my car - Subaru Impreza.)

I'm just curious: are these typical results? Was my car better off than most? Worse off? It's three years old, 35000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Is it typical for a car to be out alignment? Yes. That's why it's a good idea to do alignments when you change tires.Beyond that it's really impossible to say particularly since you didn't give any numbers. Even then just depends on the car and is more indicative of how crappy the roads are and how fast you hit speed bumps than anything else. Interesting that there's five measurements. The basics are camber, caster, and toe. Maybe cross-camber and cross-caster. Caster is fairly rare to be adjustable outside sports cars so that's pretty normal.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:54 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Caster is fairly rare to be adjustable outside sports cars so that's pretty normal.
I'm no expert but I think this is right. I think it would be difficult and expensive to make even a slight adjustment to the caster.

And while I'm not an expert, I don't think it will make any difference if the caster is slightly out of spec, either in drivability or in tire longevity.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Unless you hit potholes or a curb, your alignment should not be off at 35,000 miles, but then many people do hit things. I only get an alignment when the tire wear indicates that I need it. For the last 4 vehicles, that was never. They all went until trade-in time with only normal tire wear and no alignments with mileage’s:

Old 07-28-2018, 09:30 PM

384 posts, read 735,037 times
Post the alignment specs. No one here can tell

Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Post the alignment specs. No one here can tell

Thanks. My curiosity is pretty well satisfied with the answers already.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Many cars have limited caster adjustments and it is not a critical issue (can make a minor difference in steering feel).

Old 07-29-2018, 06:38 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
If you got the mileage you expected from the tires and they wore evenly, the adjustments made were very minor and probably wouldn't make a difference. Toe and camber are the important settings. When toe is off, you will get scrub ridges and cupping. When camber is off, you will get outside or mostly inside wear. Castor, you wouldn't know the difference, even if it is adjustable.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:40 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If you got the mileage you expected from the tires and they wore evenly, the adjustments made were very minor and probably wouldn't make a difference. Toe and camber are the important settings. When toe is off, you will get scrub ridges and cupping. When camber is off, you will get outside or mostly inside wear. Castor, you wouldn't know the difference, even if it is adjustable.

When toe if off the tires will wear on the inside if toed out too much, tires will wear on the outside -- toed in too much. Consider the tires toed in, front of tires pointing towards each other. For an example the car goes a hundred feet forward, the outside of the tread is dragged back under one foot. Tread rolls over and wears the outside. Camber has to be WAY off to cause a tire wear problem with radial tires. I once had a car with something bent and NO irregular tire wear with the camber off 4* on one side because but the toe was correct. Caster will cause steering wander if way too negative, pull to one side if badly out of balance side-to-side.

Don in Austin

Old 08-01-2018, 01:28 PM

505 posts, read 848,413 times
Garbage roads (like we have here in the NE) will easily throw your car out of alignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive