Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:49 AM

247 posts, read 231,000 times

Advertisements

I will be in the market for an inexpensive used car for my teenage daughter.

Personally, I love Hondas. I lease and have had Hondas for my last 5 vehicles. (CRV & Pilot). I also own a Fit that I bought brand new for my young adult daughter.

This daughter will not be driving out of town much, just local, to school/work. She will be going away to college after another year, and not able to take the car to school.

I'm thinking I'd like to spend around $5,000.00. Any suggestions of what type car, year/mileage I should be looking for? Specific issues I should be watching for in this age of vehicles?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
A good used car is not brand specific.

You should seek out a one owner car with all maintenance records.
No accidents (do a Carfax).
Take to local mechanic shop and have checked out.
Seek a used car from no pets, no children, no smokers.
There should be nothing wrong with car at time of sale.
No rust.

Stick to 4 cylinder engines. With a timing chain (not a timing belt).

Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My granddaughter just got a nice solid Jeep. I think it is big enough to offer some protection, and it will safely get her through Ohio winters.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
For safety sake buy her an older American car with some iron in it! The little butt beaters so common today are mostly crumple city in a real accident.

I started all 4 of our boys out in old fords / mercurys that had lots of iron around them and were all throw aways. There are millions of old GM cars ,as well as ford, to select from that offer the weight to protect your daughter.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Fun: Miata; Mini Cooper Sport

Practical: Lincoln Towne Car. (Cheap, durable, comfortable, very safe, decent MPG (26 hwy) lots of room for her friends. Honda Fit. Vibe/Matrix. Maybe Ranger.

Status: Mustang, BMW (if you have a big budget for maintenance)

If you are a good mechanic: MG; Serbring Convertable

Girly: VW, Miata, Pink Jeep;

Kiddie: Juke; Cube; Subaru WRX

If she does not need to go over 35 MP maybe a GEM.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
For safety sake buy her an older American car with some iron in it! The little butt beaters so common today are mostly crumple city in a real accident.

That's because crumpling in an accident dissipates the energy instead of transferring it to the occupant. that's why cars are safer in accidents today than those older cars "with iron in them." It still amazes me how few people realize this even at this late date.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Compact two door pickup. Can't load up a bunch of kids (distractions) into the vehicle since it seats two. Comes in useful when they go to college for moving stuff. 6 cylinders have decent mpg. Most are ok in crash tests. Tires (assuming you re using factory sizes) are a very common size, plentiful, and relatively inexpensive. The two door versions tend to be cheaper than crew/extend cabs.

I had a 93 Jeep YJ. It was configured like a mini-pickup complete with my own trailer. MPG sucked though. That Jeep got me through college and made the trip from TX to NJ in 1998. Even made money helping people move stuff. Jeeps today are way over priced.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:46 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Corolla or CX5.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:57 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
I'd get a manual transmission Volvo for her, like an older well-maintained 240 wagon. Or a manual transmission Civic. Having a manual transmission means that she can't be on her cellphone while she drives. And her friends won't want to borrow her car either.

And teach her how to check the air pressure in her tires and the fluid levels every week. She should also know how to change a tire on her own. And with any car, she should know to listen and feel how her car drives, also how it smells... just to know if there is a problem developing.

Cars should not be viewed as a magic carpet ride that never needs any maintenances.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post
Personally, I love Hondas. I lease and have had Hondas for my last 5 vehicles.
Civic.

Any made in the last 20 years are great cars (avoid a SI to Type R for a teenager though [not that your gonna find a CTR for $5k] )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive