Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 08:26 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If that disability prevents them from driving safely then yes.

No reason being able to physically turn to look behind you is critical.

If in doubt, just get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Only the ones with handicap placards who practically hop, skip, and jump their way into the store.
I'm with you on that one!!

Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default Making your car a starship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Holy cow, could you be any more condescending?

I'm skeptical that any of those cheap alibaba level prices are going to be of any good quality, and unless these all run on batteries with zero wiring and are peel and stick or clip on, it's definitely going to take longer than 30 minutes unless you run a business that installs these systems day in and day out.

Don't be skeptical ferraris the 360 degree view is available. Actually this was a project I started to benefit my son who coincidentally had broken his neck in an accident, was then air lifted to a regional hospital and spent 11 days in intensive care and 41 days in the hospital overall. Bottom line is their was no condescending intent in my post. Due to my own budgetary restrictions I had to get creative. This idea was created originally for a wheel chair but it works well on all vehicles. So here's hoping this (360 degree view) system now becomes a common accessory on all wheel chairs as well as cars. trucks etc.

360 degree view is available for under fifty dollars. The back up water proof cameras are available for less then $10 next the screen is available for under $10 as well next a wireless transmitter/ receiver to join the camera and the screen again less then $10's. Installation is under 1/2 hr. The complete the 360 degree view continues. Next I bought an over sized mirror clip-on mirror. The installation of this mirror is a snap, pun intended (less then $10). These mirrors also come in parabolic which will enhance you view tremendously. From there you need a couple of small round parabolic mirrors to stick onto your existing rear view mirrors for the blind spots and for under 50 bucks total you can bring your car into the all seeing world. Things like proximity switches and motion cams (for who done it, an case of an accident) are also available for the less budget constrained. Backup beepers are a nice touch for busy parking lots. You can turn a 30 year old car into a star ship for a few hundred bucks. All this can be bought on the net. If this sounds too complex for you, just give the come with instructions to any 10 year old and they will guide you through the install. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Many people have trouble turning their heads as they age.

I'm planning to buy a car with 360 degree camera views for my next vehicle. This is Toyot's version:

What is Toyota's Bird's Eye View Monitor System?
You don't have to buy a whole car to get that. There are any number of camera systems you can add to the car you have.

I agree however that if you can't turn your head enough to look around perhaps one should reconsider the whole driving thing. Or at least only drive when you have a copilot who can do the looking for you, though that is unlikely to help when you want to change lanes on the highway.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:58 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Many people who drive vans, buses, dump trucks, semis, etc do just fine without having to turn around every time they back up.
All of which are higher up, and give you better potential visibility, than your average passenger car.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:17 PM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Drivers ed taught me to turn around, then look at the side view mirror, then the rear view mirror. I do it out of habit. But the issue is not reversing out of a parking spot, anyone can do that. IMO

The issue is safely switching lanes at 65 mph on the freeway which also involves mirrors and (for some) looking back at their blind spot. The blind spot is not big but I just have to look back before I switch lanes. There have been times when a car has successfully “hidden” in my blind spot had I not turned my head to look around before switching

As far as vans, bus, and trucks using mirrors when backing up or switching lanes. Well, they have much greater visibility and typically far bigger side view mirrors.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Had someone fuss at my wife for using her mirrors instead of turning to look behind her when reversing.

LOL, situational awareness. I use the side view mirrors all the time, just habit from driving a truck.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I have way more concerns about drivers who have to turn around to back up because they have no clue how to use the mirrors.
I hate to say I'm in this category - I never learned to drive using the mirrors - I honestly didn't even know until the last several yrs. and I've been driving for..... many yrs. (w/o incident). Is this even addressed in driver's tests?

Old 07-28-2018, 03:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
All of which are higher up, and give you better potential visibility, than your average passenger car.

Other than standard cab pickup truck usually less unless the vehicles are a little ways off, they do have larger mirrors and of course convex ones for commercial trucks.

While on the topic if you can't see the truck driver they can't see you or see you well. The very worse place to be is passing on the right and a few feet behind the right passenger door. The only place the truck drive can see you is the convex mirror when you are in that position and it's hard to judge distance. That is why some trucks have that little window down low on the passenger door, they can at least see vehicles directly next to them.

Old 07-28-2018, 03:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I've done both backing in and facing in (depending on the sun's position, so it's not beating down though the windshield, or if I'm going to be loading in the hatch/trunk and need it accessible) and found that there's no difference if there's a larger vehicle next to you. You still can't see past it when in a smaller car UNTIL you get the nose of it out into the lane and your body and head are out far enough to see past it. Look at where you sit in relationship to the front of your car. You can't see around corners just because you are facing forward.

This diagram shows how far you have to pull out to see past the rear of minivans and SUVs next to you. it's a little simplified, but gives the idea. I was just out leaving the parking lot at work at lunch in my car and this was exactly the situation. My head doesn't sit at the very front of my car, so by the time my head is positioned (with my seatbelt on) to where I can see down the row of cars, the nose is already well out in the lane.

Again, it is much easier (for me, perhaps not for you) to turn my head and watch and slowly inch out going forward and see sooner than craning my neck and inching out backwards (and in that situation I DO have to turn my head rather than using my mirrors, whereas facing out, I do not have to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive