Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
\\

Too bad. Your wife has a disability which must be reported to the DMV. She would not pass a driving test in her condition. I hope it won't take a bad accident and ending up in court before the authorities decide to take her license away.
What state is that? Most states make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Yours apparently does not. I'm surprised they can get away with it. One class action lawsuit and they would be hiring a full time chauffeur for every disabled person in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
turn your head or don't drive. Period.
Learn to use your mirrors or don't drive. Period.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:50 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
They literally teach you to turn your head and to not rely on the mirrors alone in driver's ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sure, to check blind spots before you back up. Not while you're backing.
No, this is not what I was taught in driver's ed and some quick perusing of backing up instructions on driver's ed websites shows that this is still the case.

I do believe that many people can successfully backup with the mirrors alone, but it's not the safest way to do it since it's a more limited view. Kind of like driving with one hand on the steering wheel....yeah you can do that for years and not have an accident, maybe even a lifetime, but it's still not the safest way to drive.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:48 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
No, this is not what I was taught in driver's ed and some quick perusing of backing up instructions on driver's ed websites shows that this is still the case.

I do believe that many people can successfully backup with the mirrors alone, but it's not the safest way to do it since it's a more limited view. Kind of like driving with one hand on the steering wheel....yeah you can do that for years and not have an accident, maybe even a lifetime, but it's still not the safest way to drive.

Turning around in an RV, work van, ambulance, etc is simply not going to do anything for you. SO you rely on mirrors.

Or are you saying those can't be driven safely?

One of the vehicles I learned to drive in was a '48 Ford panel van, like this one:

Turning around did you absolutely no good.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Turning around in an RV, work van, ambulance, etc is simply not going to do anything for you. SO you rely on mirrors.

One of the vehicles I learned to drive in was a '48 Ford panel van, like this one:

Obviously if the back doesn't have windows, turning around doesn't do much. But isn't it also obvious that if the back DOES have windows, that it's safer to turn around than to use the mirrors alone? Turning around gives you your full field of vision and depth perception. Relying on the mirrors only provides no benefit except comfort.

I can ride a bike with no hands. I can drive with just one hand on the wheel. I can take a hot dog off the grill without tongs. I can mow the lawn and and pull the mower backwards sometimes. I can back up a car with just the mirrors. All of these things are possible, but they aren't the safest option.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,054 times
You guys still use mirrors to look when trying to reverse??? I let Jesus take the wheel.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

Unless you have a vehicle with a backup camera. Then you incorporate that into your scan. But some people will never understand that or accept it. We call them Luddites.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
All of which are higher up, and give you better potential visibility, than your average passenger car.
Makes no difference. Whatever needs to be seen will be reflected in the mirror no matter how high or low the vehicle is.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:54 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Quote:
Obviously if the back doesn't have windows, turning around doesn't do much. But isn't it also obvious that if the back DOES have windows, that it's safer to turn around than to use the mirrors alone? Turning around gives you your full field of vision and depth perception. Relying on the mirrors only provides no benefit except comfort.

I can ride a bike with no hands. I can drive with just one hand on the wheel. I can take a hot dog off the grill without tongs. I can mow the lawn and and pull the mower backwards sometimes. I can back up a car with just the mirrors. All of these things are possible, but they aren't the safest option.
As someone who has driven every type of vehicle from a Prius to an International 9400 big rig I can tell you that I was ALWAYS taught to use mirrors (even in Driver's Ed) and not to look behind me. If you learn how to use your mirrors your depth perception will work just fine.

I never try to crank my neck and look behind me because if backing and turning I lose the ability to scan the nose of the vehicle while backing. I use my mirrors. If I really need to see closer behind me, I use the nav screen in the dash (but that is a rarity). I've been driving now for over 20 years and have never even dinged a bumper. You just need to learn how to use the tools that have been provided.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
But isn't it also obvious that if the back DOES have windows, that it's safer to turn around than to use the mirrors alone?
No.

Many vehicles, maybe even a majority have little or no field of view through the rear window that is of any use for backing up. If you want to know what is 60 feet behind you - fine, but if you have a bed, or truck, or high mounted windows like on an SUV truck of Van (the vast majority of American cars), you cannot see anything that is useful to you by turning around. In fact, turning around means you cannot see the mirrors, so it is dangerous and kind of dumb to turn around.

It does give you an outstanding view o the back seats in those types of vehicles though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive