Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:03 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Accord 4 cylinder engines use timing chains. Accord no longer has a 6 cylinder option.
I'm not sure if Honda's 1.5L I4 turbocharged uses timing-chain or timing-belt, but I think it's chain. If it's belt, it's probably the longer-lifespan version better than 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 01:19 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Ive been a honda man most of my life and i can honestly tell that, Honda is going in the opposite direction.
From Blown Transmission in the early 2000, to blown engines and bad brakes since 2008, I'm not going to even start on Toyota.
The Ford Fusion has its faults but no where near the problems that Toyota and Honda have.
I think the only reason why Toyota and Honda buyer don't complain as much is because of they are ashamed.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Ive been a honda man most of my life and i can honestly tell that, Honda is going in the opposite direction.
From Blown Transmission in the early 2000, to blown engines and bad brakes since 2008, I'm not going to even start on Toyota.
The Ford Fusion has its faults but no where near the problems that Toyota and Honda have.
I think the only reason why Toyota and Honda buyer don't complain as much is because of they are ashamed.
And Honda outsources their 9-speed auto transmission to ZF Friedrichshafen, same transmission found in troublesome Jeep Cherokee. Reliability isn't Honda's top-priority anymore. People still buy them because they are brainwashed by media thinking Japanese are still the best. Yeah right... Not just Honda alone, but according to JD Power initial quality, all Japanese brands are going DOWNHILL fast, actually.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...vey/714617002/

You'll be surprised where Ford and Chevrolet are rated now. It wasn't like this before during mid-1990s. And, again, you have nothing to lose with a new 2019 Ford Escape S or 2019 Ford Fusion S.

Last edited by waltchan; 07-30-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 03:26 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Stop guessing...here you go.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tmX9rXEebrA7pd

Old 07-30-2018, 04:29 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Many mechanics I know including myself rarely saw Toyota’s in the shop besides for maintenance. I personally see way more older Toyota’s on the road compared to Honda’s, especially from the 90’s that are still going strong.

It wasn’t until the mid 2000’s Toyota’s quality started to slip where more hard plastic and loosely fitted trim made its way into their cars. All the recalls during that era was a disaster.

GM and Fords quality is substantial better today than it was even as little as 5 years ago.

Where their problem lies however and where the Japanese and Germans have them beat in advanced technology, and sophisticated styling and details in the luxury lineup.

Sit in a new Lexus LS500, that thing blows away almost any current luxury ride besides for an S-Class and destroys any Cadillac and Lincoln in terms of fit and finish, interior styling and quality of materials.

But other than that, Chevies and Ford sedans are well done.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:47 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post

2015 Accord Hybrid - Zero problems through 42K miles.

So perhaps you got a Lemon but Honda quality is not slipping as far as I can tell.

As to the old C vs A battle my personal opinion is that while the Honda is dynamically superior to the new Camry the redesign is butt ugly. I actually like the looks of the Camry SE better and with the V6 available it seems Toyota has at least scored a triple, although the Honda turbo 4 is just as fast as the old V6.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
And Honda outsources their 9-speed auto transmission to ZF Friedrichshafen, same transmission found in troublesome Jeep Cherokee. Reliability isn't Honda's top-priority anymore. People still buy them because they are brainwashed by media thinking Japanese are still the best. Yeah right... Not just Honda alone, but according to JD Power initial quality, all Japanese brands are going DOWNHILL fast, actually.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...vey/714617002/

You'll be surprised where Ford and Chevrolet are rated now. It wasn't like this before during mid-1990s. And, again, you have nothing to lose with a new 2019 Ford Escape S or 2019 Ford Fusion S.
Who has been the top rated brand on JD Power's initial quality list for two years running? Kia. #1 in 2016 and 2017, #2 to sister brand Genesis in 2018. Ahead of everyone mentioned so far. But no mention of the Optima in this thread.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
If Honda and Toyota quality were slipping as guessed it would show up in the consumer reports repair stats and MANY others.....

But they aren't slipping much - according to actual data. Some of the other car makers are improving, which may change the rankings.

Some of the top brands are so close to each other that one often sneaks past another by tiny percentages....doesn't mean anything in real terms.

Consumer quality complaints can mean a loose piece of plastic, etc. - not an engine, transmission or major defect.

So there are always lots of variables....

Last edited by craigiri; 07-30-2018 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
I have a question. In every one of these CamCord posts no one ever mentions the Nissan Maxima as a contender for the same market. Why? Is it no longer in the CamCord market so to speak?
Another car we've gotten as a rental in the past two years. For all that we felt like the Camry was underpowered, it was otherwise a far better ride than the Maxima, which seemed to want to float off the road on its own.

The recent rental list be preference:

1. C Class Mercedes (UK version)
2. Toyota Avalon (comfy, good power)
3. VW Jetta (cheap interior but fun to drive)
4. Toyota Camry
5. Kia Optima (very rough ride)
6. Nissan Maxima

Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Fusion guy here...

...but if I had to choose between these two, I would go Camry.

I have thought the recent Accords have been beyond ugly for quite some time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive