Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

Just got back from Costco. I'd bought my car's tires there a few years back, brought it in today for the free spin-balance and rotation that was part of the contract. Mentioned that one of the tires had had a slow leak a few months ago, losing a few pounds per week. I'd "fixed" it with a can of "Fix-a-Flat" from the local auto parts store. That's a can of pressurized gas and rubber-cement-type liquid you squirt into the tire, The cement seals the puncture, and the gas re-inflates the tire.

Big mistake.

The Costco guy said that if I'd used Fix-a-flat on it, the tire could not be repaired, and couldn't even be balanced since the fluid in the Fix-a-Flat would flow around inside the tire and unbalance it. My only alternatives now, were to do nothing and let the tire keep wobbling around on the road, wearing out the shocks and suspension parts, or buy a new tire.

Good news was, the leak was covered under the road-hazard warranty. they pro-rated the tread thickness, and said I'd have to pay 50% of the usual price since I'd used half the life of the tire.

Costco wasn't too bad about it. But if I'd had any idea they would act that way over a tire with Fix-a-Flat, I never ever would have used it. Obviously! The original leak was very slow, I would have kept driving on it for a week or two until I had a chance to go in for a (free!) puncture repair with free new valve stem etc.

Part of me wants to go back to the auto parts store where I got the Fix-a-Flat, and ask them if they knew that Costco (and how many other tire sellers?) considered that the stuff ruined tires and required them to be replaced as the only remedy; where they would simply repair the puncture (many dealers for free) if it hadn't been used. I've been going to that auto parts store for twenty years, they know me.

The other part of me wants to get three more cans of FaF, put it in the other three tires, and head back to Costco for three brand-new tires at half price. Apparently they won't even bother trying to find the punctures if that stuff is in there.

But probably not.

Ladies and gents, DON'T use Fix-a-Flat or Slime etc. in your tires. Or if you still want to (I don't!), first call the place you got the tires from and ask them what the consequences are.

I had no idea. Now I do. Let a word to the wise be sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
One more reason to only buy vehicles that come with a spare tire. A lot of new ones give you a can of Fix-a-Flat instead of a spare.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
One more reason to only buy vehicles that come with a spare tire. A lot of new ones give you a can of Fix-a-Flat instead of a spare.
Which one(s)?

Hmm, those car companies and Costco need to get together and have a talk.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:50 AM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah, that's an emergency get you home from the boonies with no cell reception kind of fix. Better off just carrying a patch kit really. It's possible to clean them out but the labor involved makes replacement make more sense in many cases.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Funny thing is, if you do not mention using fix a flat, they balance the tires, it works fine. I always felt the refusal to balance was just a ploy to sell you new tires.

However if they are going to remove the tire from the rim, you need to let them know if you remember using fix a flat in that tire.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Sounds to me like someone is being lazy or just doesn't want to bother...

https://www.fixaflat.com/us/faq-details.php?id=43

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does Fix-a-Flat work? Do I need to get a patch/plug repair for my tire, or can I leave Fix-a-Flat in there permanently?

As stated on the can, it is important to have your tire inspected and repaired within 3 days or 100 miles (whichever comes first). Be sure to notify the qualified tire care professional that Fix-a-Flat has been installed. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (USTMA) approved patch/plug.

Can my tire be repaired after using Fix-a-Flat?

Yes, there is nothing in the formulation that would prevent a tire from being repaired. Advise the tire repair professional that you have used the Fix-a-Flat brand tire inflator in your tire, so they may properly clean the tire for repair. Fix-a-Flat cleans up easily with soapy water and a shop rag. Warranties vary by tire manufacturer. Contact your tire manufacturer for specific details.

Labor to clean a tire cannot be as much as the cost to replace a modern tire... especially if you have to replace 2 or 4 at the same time because of rolling circumference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EChq5sGck

The above is for "Slime." I imagine F-A-F is Similar.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-03-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny thing is, if you do not mention using fix a flat, they balance the tires, it works fine. I always felt the refusal to balance was just a ploy to sell you new tires.

However if they are going to remove the tire from the rim, you need to let them know if you remember using fix a flat in that tire.

You can try and balance a tire with slime inside of it, but that slime moves around. Meaning your tire will never be in balance until the slime is removed.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Some of the tire chain stores will do flat fixes for free. Here in Colorado Discount Tire will plug a tire up to 2x.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Some of the tire chain stores will do flat fixes for free. Here in Colorado Discount Tire will plug a tire up to 2x.
Even if someone has used Fix-a-Flat on it?

Old 08-03-2018, 12:54 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
"Fix a Flat" ranks right up there with radiator leak sealants. Never thought to put gunk in the tire, or the radiator for that matter, is ever a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive