Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:16 PM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
64 and driving a stick since 1973. Wouldn't have it any other way.
I''m in the same age group as you and the OP (old enough for a 55+ community, but too young for Medicare ) and, out of the many cars I've owned, only 3 have been automatics (my first...couldn't pass up the deal (drove it for a year and sold it for more than I paid for it), and two that I inherited from relatives who died and I kept as extra cars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 04:07 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
In our modern times, a manual transmission has become something of a rarity - or even an indulgence. One faces all sorts of meretriciously sound and prudent reasons to force getting an automatic, and any objection to that is swiftly greeted by scorn (or worse). Such are the dictates of the market If I were king for a day, I'd issue royal decree to make things otherwise; but I'm not king, not even for an instant, not even in the smallest realm.

I really hope that the OP can overcome his/her qualms, and get a manual transmission. We can't stand athwart of history, demonstratively yelling that it stop. But we can, perhaps, indulge in our little private acts of defiance.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:13 PM

628 posts, read 837,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I think the Alltrack only comes with the DSG transmission; the same with the Golf Sportwagen 4Motion.
The Alltrack does come with a manual transmission on S and SE packages
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&q...w=1920&bih=974

Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
The Alltrack does come with a manual transmission on S and SE packages
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&q...w=1920&bih=974
You're right.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Too old for a Manuel. Sorry.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
I'm 60. The vast majority of my vehicles have been manual. I think the only automatic I've ever owned was a truck. Chevy? I think. Full size.

I also had a passenger van - Ford I think - that had NOTHING automatic in it. Manual steering, manual brakes, three on the tree. Risked a spontaneous sex change if I drove it more than once or twice a week. I called it the Testosteronemobile.

I don't like automatics. Can't feel the road in them. They get worse mileage than a manual. More likely to have mechanical problems, and more expensive to fix when they do.

That said, while I've had knee problems off and on over the years, it has never affected my ability to drive the stick. But I can see where it could.

In your case, with a car with only 30k miles on it, I would never even THINK about getting another car. I drive 'em into the ground. Plus, if you're having joint issues now, those are unlikely to get better with time. Rather the opposite.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Too old for a Manuel. Sorry.
I have (2) 96 YO friends who still driving their manuals (one a Mustang Cobra (RIP... he died, but NOT in his car...), the other a Subie On STEEP AND SNOWY gravel mtn roads)(gal friend).

of my 34 CARS, no manuals (#35 came home 2 days ago (manual)
Our minivans and the 'woman's RV' are Auto, tho no choice for those models (They will become Diesel manuals (imported parts from Europe) if the gas engines ever die)

Quote:
The next morning my left knee was hurting. I've never had knee problems.
Very strange and you BEST figure out what is WRONG!!! Car clutches should put little / no stress on your knee. I have only have sore knees a couple times, and each were from 12 hrs of mtn driving in VERY troublesome semi trucks (with 5x4 twin boxes IIRC) (90% trucks / trannies are fine, but occasionally you get stuck in a bad one.) I seldom use the clutch, at home or at work (farm). Stop lights and entering a highway and reversing is about the only time a clutch is required, and usually you 'time' the entries so you can roll though in a lower gear, or neutral and grab a gear before you stop. I do remember getting scolded by a car saleman when I tried out a new VW TDI about 20 yrs ago. Clutch? Why do I need to use the clutch? Most people would not know you are not using the clutch. I have pulled trannies out at 300k, and clutch plate looked very close to new. I have never had a failed tranny (of my own) but I have bought plenty that had been abused.

Bad knees! that would REALLY be a curse if I couldn't start my vintage thumpers

Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,851,181 times
I am 51, have driven stick since I started driving at age 12. Only automatic cars are for other drivers (wife, daughter). You should drive a 1948 Willy's Overlund with a manual to know what a bad clutch is

Current car is a Veloster turbo with manual. It is fun. I liked the Golf, but the regular with the 6 speed was special order and I didn't want to spend more for the R or the GTI. I drive between 16-18 K miles in LA traffic each year, so cost is an issue. An no knee issues.

As others have said, most knee problems are due to muscle weakness, so do lunges, squats/etc.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 PM

369 posts, read 325,045 times
In the plus column for a stick is the fact that no one under 30 will know how to steal it!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:33 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have (2) 96 YO friends who still driving their manuals (one a Mustang Cobra (RIP... he died, but NOT in his car...), the other a Subie On STEEP AND SNOWY gravel mtn roads)(gal friend).

of my 34 CARS, no manuals (#35 came home 2 days ago (manual)
Our minivans and the 'woman's RV' are Auto, tho no choice for those models (They will become Diesel manuals (imported parts from Europe) if the gas engines ever die)

Very strange and you BEST figure out what is WRONG!!! Car clutches should put little / no stress on your knee. I have only have sore knees a couple times, and each were from 12 hrs of mtn driving in VERY troublesome semi trucks (with 5x4 twin boxes IIRC) (90% trucks / trannies are fine, but occasionally you get stuck in a bad one.) I seldom use the clutch, at home or at work (farm). Stop lights and entering a highway and reversing is about the only time a clutch is required, and usually you 'time' the entries so you can roll though in a lower gear, or neutral and grab a gear before you stop. I do remember getting scolded by a car saleman when I tried out a new VW TDI about 20 yrs ago. Clutch? Why do I need to use the clutch? Most people would not know you are not using the clutch. I have pulled trannies out at 300k, and clutch plate looked very close to new. I have never had a failed tranny (of my own) but I have bought plenty that had been abused.

Bad knees! that would REALLY be a curse if I couldn't start my vintage thumpers
The motion itself is the issue, not the pressure exerted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I am 51, have driven stick since I started driving at age 12. Only automatic cars are for other drivers (wife, daughter). You should drive a 1948 Willy's Overlund with a manual to know what a bad clutch is

Current car is a Veloster turbo with manual. It is fun. I liked the Golf, but the regular with the 6 speed was special order and I didn't want to spend more for the R or the GTI. I drive between 16-18 K miles in LA traffic each year, so cost is an issue. An no knee issues.

As others have said, most knee problems are due to muscle weakness, so do lunges, squats/etc.
UNBELIEVABLY BAD ADVICE!!!

That's a great way to totally wreck your knees. SEE A DOCTOR. Do not take medical advice from strangers on the internet. It's incredible what some people will say when they clearly know NOTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
In the plus column for a stick is the fact that no one under 30 will know how to steal it!
I'd extend that another 10 years, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive