Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 06:20 PM

67 posts, read 61,541 times

Advertisements

When comparing them to Fords, GMC and Chevy, people always look down on Dodge trucks as being cheap trucks driven by hicks. Is it a regional thing? Or because there are so many of them on the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 06:51 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Dodge trucks don't hold up well over time... or at least they didn't during the 90's and 2000's. Interiors would fall apart a lot more quickly than a Ford or a GM. Automatic transmissions would suffer an early death if you did any kind of towing with it. And after 100k miles the front end would be as loose as a farm truck.

Consequently, older dodge trucks are relatively cheap. Popular with the trailer park crowd. Combine that with their juvenile big-rig styling... there you have their trashy reputation.

Now that's not to say that a Dodge is entirely a bad truck, depending on what you want to do with it. If we're talking about a Dodge with a Cummins- their *drivetrain* is second to none. It's just that the rest of the truck is cheap junk. So if you want to pull a fifth-wheel trailer at 80mph and you don't mean to keep the truck for more than five years- a Dodge with a Cummins is a great vehicle.

Also I've known people to drive the half-ton automatics around for 150K+ with few problems. As long as you don't work it too hard, it's a good truck

And I will say- not being facetious at all- that the later model half ton Dodge pickups with the coil spring rears have a very nice ride. Much smoother than my old GMC. So if you prefer smooth ride and child-like styling over durability... a Dodge may be the truck for you

Just kidding... halfway kidding anyway. Dodge trucks aren't that bad. It's just that every other brand is better

Last edited by turkey-head; 08-05-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I would say at least interior wise they have some very nice features but seemingly flimsy materials...makes one wonder about the overall quality in the hidden areas where it matters more.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:29 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Dodge trucks don't hold up well over time... or at least they didn't during the 90's and 2000's. Interiors would fall apart a lot more quickly than a Ford or a Dodge. Automatic transmissions would suffer an early death if you did any kind of towing with it. And after 100k miles the front end would be as loose as a farm truck.

to say that "Dodge trucks don't hold up well over time" … is a huge understatement. The interior on my 2 Dodge trucks … an '86 and a '96 … looked like hel** within the first 50,000 miles. Protective seat covers were essential to hiding the bare/worn spots and padding coming out of the seats.

My '96 w/Cummins 12v turbodiesel has been a reliable engine. But the automatic transmission? the truck has eaten 4 in 250,000 miles. The original and 3 rebuilds. The hard part failures in the trans are staggeringly expensive to replace. The last transmission gave us only 36,000 miles of service due to the torque converter failing and loading up the transmission with debris. Fortunately, it quit moving the truck when coming out of the driveway at home so I was able to take another vehicle while I had the Dodge towed to a transmission shop. The heaviest load this truck has pulled is a 2-horse BP trailer … perhaps 4,000 lbs, total. Usually, the truck gets a load in the bed, a 1 ton pallet of feed or farm supplies. For either load, the truck is rarely driven over 55-60 mph … Mrs Sun is concerned about the horses in the trailer arriving in good condition and not scared of the trailer.

As far as the "death wobble" front end, the components on a 4x4 don't seem to last more than 25,000-35,000 miles. And I use OE or TRW aftermarket (OE supplier) quality parts. These front ends simply aren't up to the task of driving on dirt country roads. The first time you get taken by surprise when the suspension bounces just right to have the track rod lose control and the death wobble sets in, you'll not be liking this truck.

Consequently, older dodge trucks are relatively cheap. Popular with the trailer park crowd. Combine that with their juvenile big-rig styling... there you have their trashy reputation.

Now that's not to say that a Dodge is entirely a bad truck, depending on what you want to do with it. If we're talking about a Dodge with a Cummins- their *drivetrain* is second to none.

Uh, no … the Cummins engine has been a stalwart performer. But the automatic transmissions are junk, even when routinely serviced every 25,000 miles with fluid and filter.

It's just that the rest of the truck is cheap junk. So if you want to pull a fifth-wheel trailer at 80mph and you don't mean to keep the truck for more than five years- a Dodge with a Cummins is a great vehicle.

I've got neighbors who tow 5th wheel luxury horse/living quarters trailers for the rodeo circuit. None of them have seen 5 years of service without major driveline work. One blew out a Cummins 24 valve engine at 100,00 miles … although I'd grant that he does tow a 4-horse rig at 75 mph. He's still yet to learn why he looses a trailer tire or two every trip … the tires simply aren't up to the load and speed demands.

Also I've known people to drive the half-ton automatics around for 150K+ with few problems. As long as you don't work it too hard, it's a good truck

The half-ton, used as a vanity vehicle … or as a neighbor does to tow his 17' Lund aluminum fishing boat to the lakes around here … aren't being worked "too hard".

And I will say- not being facetious at all- that the later model half ton Dodge pickups with the coil spring rears have a very nice ride. Much smoother than my old GMC. So if you prefer smooth ride and child-like styling over durability... a Dodge may be the truck for you

Just kidding... halfway kidding anyway. Dodge trucks aren't that bad. It's just that every other brand is better
Compared to the Ford F-250's powerstrokes I use and the GMC Duramax's my neighbors prefer for our farm/ranch chores/hauling … I regret the day that the cheap price of admission for a Dodge truck got the better of my judgement and experience. I bought the first one only because we were out on a remote job site and one of my workers wrecked my '85 Ford diesel … so we had to get the first available affordable truck from town to complete the project. When that Dodge started seeing electrical, A/C, heater, interior, window motors & switch problems … it was time to trade it off. The only way I could do so was to trade it for another Dodge truck, the '96.

From my perspective and comparing the Dodge the other trucks I've owned … yes, they are "that bad". If you need to rely upon a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for your livelihood … these aren't as good a truck as the competition.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 PM

That's a good point about the automatic transmissions *particularly* in a truck with a Cummins.

Absolute garbage.

So lemme refine my previous statement to say that if you have the Cummins engine and a *manual* transmission, the drivetrain is awesome. Problem is that the rest of the truck is mediocre at best.

But I'm still not saying that a Dodge is entirely bad. I mean, if you pick the right one and you don't use it very hard, they're kinda ok

Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I have owned Dodge 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks for many years. Oldest ones mid 1970s, newest one 2001. All were pretty much trouble free, even the ones with automatic transmissions. Most had well over 100,000 miles.
The 3/4 tons and the one ton were Cummins diesels. My current 3/4 ton is a 1999 model with 409,000 miles. The automatic tranny has been rebuilt once, as has the rear axle. That probably isn't too bad, seeing as the previous owner put two Edge tuners on it!
The half tons had either the 318 or 360 CID engines. I did have a timing chain jump the cam sprocket on one of them, which required rebuilt heads.
Come to think of it, I did have a gas 3/4 ton long ago, with the 400 engine and auto tranny in it. That thing towed our travel trailer over the mountains of Western Montana just fine.
Yep, my Dodge trucks have taken me where I want to go and brought me home just fine since about 1982. I think I'll stay with them.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have owned Dodge 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks for many years. Oldest ones mid 1970s, newest one 2001. All were pretty much trouble free, even the ones with automatic transmissions. Most had well over 100,000 miles.
The 3/4 tons and the one ton were Cummins diesels. My current 3/4 ton is a 1999 model with 409,000 miles. The automatic tranny has been rebuilt once, as has the rear axle. That probably isn't too bad, seeing as the previous owner put two Edge tuners on it!
The half tons had either the 318 or 360 CID engines. I did have a timing chain jump the cam sprocket on one of them, which required rebuilt heads.
Come to think of it, I did have a gas 3/4 ton long ago, with the 400 engine and auto tranny in it. That thing towed our travel trailer over the mountains of Western Montana just fine.
Yep, my Dodge trucks have taken me where I want to go and brought me home just fine since about 1982. I think I'll stay with them.
Yes 409,000 with only one transmission rebuild is *very* good. Any particular recommendations on making those transmissions last? I've replaced plenty of them that failed around 100k miles or not long after.

And I'll agree that the older Dodge V8's are very durable. Not particularly powerful, nor do they get good gas mileage. But the 318 and 360 engines *will* run forever- far longer than the automatic bolted behind them or the front suspension holding them up

Don't really know much about the newer Hemis. Durability may be ok- I dunno. Their horsepower ratings are nothing to brag about- but it's a Dodge, so...

Old 08-05-2018, 08:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
The ball joints on those things are terrible as well, it’s very common to hear them squeaking through a parking lot.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

Don't really know much about the newer Hemis. Durability may be ok- I dunno. Their horsepower ratings are nothing to brag about- but it's a Dodge, so...
The Hemi puts out more horsepower than GM's 5.3 wheezer.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:21 PM

Exactly what year are we talking about here? And precisely which hemi are we comparing to the 5.3?

I'm guessing you're not gonna compare any hemi to the 6.0 or the 6.2, huh?

My truck is pretty old, so I can't comment on what's come out in the past 10 years or so. But generally speaking, Dodge trucks are a DOG compared to a comparable Chevy. Or even a Ford in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive