Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:08 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times

Advertisements

What is the worst car accident you have been in?

Mine - riding as a passenger in a VW Rabbit on I-95 in FL, got rear-ended by a loaded 18 wheel logging truck, flew off the right side of the road, hit a couple of trees and it landed upside down. Both my DH and I walked away with no broken bones. Car was totaled of course.

ETA - I was wearing a SB, DH was not. We had very similar injuries.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 08-08-2018 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
That's amazing.

Mine: Wife and I were going about 70 mph on an East TX FM road just as it was getting dark. The truck was fully loaed with furniture, household stuff, etc., and the uhaul trailer on the hitch was full also.

We actually saw the female deer run out in front of us in a split second, but there was no time to react. The damage was only about $15K, but a lot of that was airbags and associated interior parts, because every restraint device went off.

Note to self: don't tilt the steering wheel all the way down; that air bag popped you right in the region you don't want to get popped in.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,732,034 times
I've been upside down twice.

The worst was as a passenger in my buddy's car. We were out in the mountains late at night on the crooked roads going too fast. The car went into a turn too fast and got sideways and we hit the end of a guardrail just a few feet behind my passenger seat. The car flipped in the air and came down on it's top.

No serious injuries, though my right elbow went through the door glass and my shins were pretty beat up from banging around under the dash. I picked broken glass out of my elbow for the next ten years. Lucky we had our seat belts on and weren't killed.

The second roll was in ice at the bottom of a hill. The shock absorbers were worn out and when the suspension loaded at the bottom of the hill the springs "pogo'd" and caused the car to bounce up and down. Before I knew it I was fishtailing and eventually slid off the road and the car gently rolled onto it's top. I was unscathed.

Another one worth mention was when I plowed into a deer with an 18 wheeler. It happened way up in the NW corner of Wyoming in the fall/winter. It was pitch black and I didn't even see the thing until it was 5 feet in front of me. It destroyed the nose of the truck and I picked guts and intestines out of the radiator and lower bumper for 40 minutes when I stopped at the bottom of the hill.

GROSS!!

Last edited by tommy64; 08-07-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 07:24 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
I got married once.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:05 AM

326 posts, read 199,504 times
I'm 44 and have never had an accident. However, one late evening in Georgia about 15 years ago it was 3am and I was on a divided highway headed home. Another elevated highway merged on to this one via a sharp curve.

So I'm driving with no other cars in sight... and I see the headlights of a guy taking the curve behind me in an SUV. As he came out of the curve he rolled the vehicle 4-5 times. I stopped and backed up to where he was at.

I'll never forget it... the entire driver's side of the vehicle was covered in blood... the guy reeked of alcohol and he was motionless other than some moaning sounds. The back of his head looked like someone hit it with a baseball bat. I guess that's what happens when your head comes out an open window of a rolling vehicle and hits the pavement.

He was dead shortly thereafter... and the moral of this story is don't drink and drive.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
I had a lead foot in my late teen years, and only had a few years experience driving, one night I rear ended a stopped car at a red light, going about 35 mph when I hit. I didnt have seatbelt on and there was no airbags in the truck I was driving, no injuries at all, not even scratch!

Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
I was hit at speed on a highway, traveling about 60-65, from the rear in a BMW M3 by a guy who was driving well above my speed while intoxicated. My car spun out and pirouetted across the highway, me fighting for control, before finally coming to a rest on the left shoulder, near a concrete bridge abutment. It was a small miracle that no other cars were hit by me, as I had zero control, but do credit the expensive brake upgrade that I had fitted with saving me from even more loss of control. The car was absolutely totaled, but I walked away with only soreness from the seat belt tensioner and my arms were sore as well for a few days.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Only been in 1 accident in over 40 years of driving. Heavy spring snowstorm, 2 lane highway, evening traffic, most going about 35. I remember testing the traction of my Isuzu Trooper before joining the highway. OK, but not great. Big old muscle car going too fast in the opposite direction started fishtailing across the lane, didn't slow down, came over the center line, hit the Trooper head on. I had time to wonder what the heck the other driver was doing, realizing it was going to hit, so I turned the wheels to the right. Probably kept me from being hit by anyone else. The car hit my truck just left of center taking out the radiator, engine, front axle, bending the frame. Pushed the truck through a line of small trees on the shoulder.

Broke my sternum, cracked 2 ribs. My knee hit the ignition area of the dash, keys leaving a huge gouge in my knee, sending blood and all the keys flying (so the friend who drove me home from the hospital had to break a window to get us into my house). Other driver broke her leg, passenger broke an arm, facial injuries, don't know what else. I remember the ER x-ray tech kept asking me to lie down on my stomach for the next view, but I kept trying to pass out. Didn't know my sternum or ribs were broken until a radiologist checked the x-rays the next morning and called to tell me. I thought I was just being a wimp from the pain.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-07-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
KCZ

4,670 posts, read 3,665,713 times
One morning after an ice storm, I was stopped at a red light at a 5-way intersection when I was hit from behind by someone in an enormous Lexus SUV. She was speeding, and probably not paying attention because she was smoking, drinking a cup of coffee (thank you, DDonuts), and talking on a cell phone. The person behind her said her brake lights never even came on. She pushed me on the icy road out into the intersection where I was hit in the front by a utility truck coming the other way and going too fast for road conditions as well. My vehicle was pretty well crushed in both front and rear and was promptly totaled by Allstate. Fortunately, I was wearing my SB and saw her about to hit me just in time to really grab the steering wheel, so all I suffered was really sore shoulders and chest for about a week. The truck driver had a concussion and broken arm. The Lexus witch was whining because she spilled coffee on her fur coat and couldn't finish her phone call.

I've also been rear-ended 2 other times at red lights when I was just sitting there minding my own business.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
29 years old, licensed as soon as my state would allow, at 16 years.

I have not been involved in an accident while I was behind the wheel.

I have been a passenger during an accident, fortunately, the driver of the other car applied the brakes and was almost stopped prior to collision. No injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive